Dreadlocks Forums

The straightness!

C-Roome
@c-roome
12 years ago
15 posts

Alright so 2 months later..
I've completely stopped using ACV.
I used a mix of 1/2 cup bs 1tsp seasalt to 8oz of water. mix it up. then pour half of what i use in a cup, and fill the other half with warm water. (since its cold after sitting out)
let that sit in my hair for 10-15 minutes and rinse thoroughly then let airdry.

I've stopped wearing hats/beanies all together.

I don't play with my hair, rub my fingers through it, or anything.
And it just keeps coming undone and straightening.
If I twist n rip, no sections stay. but none come back. EVEN BEADED.

I'm at a loss for variables that could be 'stopping,' me.
I know I have hard water, does that play a key role in anything?

I won't wax, I won't use product or anything like that.
But TnR doesn't seem to work for me, is there a start method that is a little more sure-fire?

updated by @c-roome: 07/18/15 08:35:00PM
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

have you tried wraps? just do a couple open wraps (like criss cross ones) or just wrap a small part of a section. most the time beads work better but i had some good sections tighten & stick after wrapping them a bit.

maybe wait a bit longer & try the wraps. my hair is super straight & i'm just getting my first knotting around 6 months now. i use baking soda, sometimes the sea salt, & use the apple cider vinegar sometimes (when i'm feeling dry like i need it, i normally have super straight silky soft oily hair, eek). You can try what Butterfly & I did at Panteras suggestion & do a baking soda paste. Once or twice, but good time in between. It's not a solve all but i do believe it helped me get my hair where i needed to be.

i'd definitely give it a bit more time too

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yea stop re-tnring thats just resting progress just neglect it

how are they falling out beaded

also that seems like way too strong bs if its 1/2 a cup per 8 oz it should be 1/2 vcup per 5 cups

the sea salt maybe could be lil stronger

if neglecting it isnt right for u ill make a suggestion that maybe lil towards the not recomended side but if you do it exactly as i say it wont be too horible and wont fall out

tie a knot in the end

split the middle flip that knot through the split split it agaijn on a 45 degree angle to that split flip thru below the other flip

onoy do that maybe 4 times so its very loose

it wont look like much but will hold together as it dreads and it will dread

u dont want it tight tho

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

interesting about the knotting it SE, i think i saw someone do that on one of theirs but wasn't sure what they were doing lol

& i only just got beads to stay in, i could force hair into em but they still would slide down & right off!

soaring eagle said:

yea stop re-tnring thats just resting progress just neglect it

how are they falling out beaded

also that seems like way too strong bs if its 1/2 a cup per 8 oz it should be 1/2 vcup per 5 cups

the sea salt maybe could be lil stronger

if neglecting it isnt right for u ill make a suggestion that maybe lil towards the not recomended side but if you do it exactly as i say it wont be too horible and wont fall out

tie a knot in the end

split the middle flip that knot through the split split it agaijn on a 45 degree angle to that split flip thru below the other flip

onoy do that maybe 4 times so its very loose

it wont look like much but will hold together as it dreads and it will dread

u dont want it tight tho

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i only suggest that as a last resort i think u are best o just neglect it

and stop patting with the tw]=owl u dont gotta shake so agressivle ]y either

water dripping down your hair pulls it into sections so let gravity do the drying for u

--
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

yeah i just drip/air dry :)

C-Roome
@c-roome
12 years ago
15 posts

The criss cross link sends me to a watch, lol.

Could something like hard water being halting my progress?
I definitely have hard water and up until today I was just pouring BS into hard water from the shower head.

Last night I boiled some water and put BS in it, noticeably different feeling.
but the only problem is getting it rinsed out. Since I have to boil water, I have a set amount to use. I've spent the last 3 hours rinsing my hair cause I have to keep boiling water, waiting for it to cool, then rinse. but each time I'm done, my hair still feels slick like BS is in it.

C-Roome
@c-roome
12 years ago
15 posts

also im not sure im understanding the knot thing.

take a TnR section and then split seperate it in the middle? (at the tip of the middle of the lock?)
or just take a section of straight hair, tie a knot and then TnR?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

thats not for tnred sections only for straight hair that will fall out no matter what its not recomended unless all else fails

its basicly like a very loose interlocking but like 1 time per inch only to hold the ection together an d alow it to dread

it recomend u switch to the www.dreadlockshampoo.com soaps if your having so much trouble the liquid

try that awhile 1st see how it goes

--
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

i don't know why it links it when i say criss cross, & why it would be a watch lol but here is a video showing wrapping

or here isa visual

you could try the dreadlockshampoo & see if it makes a difference. I also have hard water & i just use the super hot water from the tap (it comes out scalding) with the bs.

are you using the acv rinse? if so try it without a couple times. then when you start knotting just use very little & slowly add that back to the routine (every other wash or somethign) until it's right.

have you added sea salt or done sea salt sprays? that may help you out.

have you tried panteras suggestion to butterfly to do a baking soda "paste"? it's not a cure all but it may help nudge you where you need to be, it helped butterfly when she did it & i think it helped me some too. just add a little water to baking soda to make a paste instead of a wash/rinse. glob/paint it on there & cover & sit around for about 20 minutes letting it dry then rinse like you normally would.

do you have any recent pics or updates as to what's going on? how far in are you now? seeing any sectioning at all?

C-Roome said:

The criss cross link sends me to a watch, lol.

Could something like hard water being halting my progress?
I definitely have hard water and up until today I was just pouring BS into hard water from the shower head .

Last night I boiled some water and put BS in it, noticeably different feeling.
but the only problem is getting it rinsed out. Since I have to boil water, I have a set amount to use. I've spent the last 3 hours rinsing my hair cause I have to keep boiling water, waiting for it to cool, then rinse. but each time I'm done, my hair still feels slick like BS is in it.

updated by @ixchel: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form