Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Maintenance and care for Starter Locs?

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Washing your hair with a cap is so silly nonsense, I don't know why other sites say to do this. How is the crap that we all create on our scalp going to wash out if we are covering it with a cap? Scalp skin would work it's way into the dreads instead of washing out.
R F said:

Thank you. Soo covering them up when i sleep or for my first wash is a no no?

i've read on other places that ishould wash with a nylon cap until they begin to dread.

updated by @the-barrellady: 07/19/15 02:09:10PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Not to mention that you almost never need to wash your hair directly. You need only wash your scalp. If you wear a nylon or something while you wash, you are only washing your hair and your scalp stays just as dirty as before. There are few and far between reasons you should ever wash your hair itself. The soap from scrubbing your scalp will rinse through your hair cleaning it

the Barrellady said:

Washing your hair with a cap is so silly nonsense, I don't know why other sites say to do this. How is the crap that we all create on our scalp going to wash out if we are covering it with a cap? Scalp skin would work it's way into the dreads instead of washing out.
R F said:

Thank you. Soo covering them up when i sleep or for my first wash is a no no?

i've read on other places that ishould wash with a nylon cap until they begin to dread.

Bob Ngarly
@bob-ngarly
11 years ago
161 posts

Hey just to throw in my two sense. this is a method used mainly by african americans and The method you are going with is not as common on this website and most people here are going to tell you they must loosen to knot up and so forth, which is true... However when starting locks with the comb twist and finger coil method usually people tend to take a different route and indeed do try to "protect their dreads" This is a main difference in maintaining dreads started with twists and dreads started by all the other methods. I will not tell you that you should retwist them regurlarly which id be willing to bet someone has told you to do. While you can and they do promote a neater look when twisted, it can cause balding if over done. If it were me i would personally never retwist them and let them form organically which most people on this site will tell you the same thing. However know it is not the only way and lots of people with twists opt to wear a du-rag, or stocking cap to bed and decide to wash their hair less frequently to keep their twists in tact easier. if yours come out all the way i would just say just twist them right back up. Ultimately rather or not you want to continue twisting as a form of maintenance or take a more natural route is up to you. It largely depends on a matter of personal preference of what you want your dreads to look like. most people with twists anticipate neat dreads. If this is what you anticipate do not expect that from following the advice of jsut letting them be. Yes you will get beautiful dreads by letting them be, but in the process they will certainly not look neat by what most people with twists describe as neat. I just thought you may want to hear from someone who has close to your hairtype and has done alot of research on twists. Mine myself are not twists they were twist and rip to neglect method.

dreads are awesome pretty much either way. I say let those babies go and free form them only seperating when needed. But know that is not the only option you have.

-Spencer

btw (check out my baby locks.)

R F
@r-f
11 years ago
6 posts

You pretty much hit the nail on the head lol

everyone has suggested that i go for a neglect method, but the problem with that is that i'm trying to keep them as presentable as possible until they begin to mature. I slept with a beanie like one of the other members suggested and that seems to be going good (a twist or two sticking out of place)

Btw nice locks, good luck on your locing journey aswell :)

Spencer Mcduffy said:

Hey just to throw in my two sense. this is a method used mainly by african americans and The method you are going with is not as common on this website and most people here are going to tell you they must loosen to knot up and so forth, which is true... However when starting locks with the comb twist and finger coil method usually people tend to take a different route and indeed do try to "protect their dreads" This is a main difference in maintaining dreads started with twists and dreads started by all the other methods. I will not tell you that you should retwist them regurlarly which id be willing to bet someone has told you to do. While you can and they do promote a neater look when twisted, it can cause balding if over done. If it were me i would personally never retwist them and let them form organically which most people on this site will tell you the same thing. However know it is not the only way and lots of people with twists opt to wear a du-rag, or stocking cap to bed and decide to wash their hair less frequently to keep their twists in tact easier. if yours come out all the way i would just say just twist them right back up. Ultimately rather or not you want to continue twisting as a form of maintenance or take a more natural route is up to you. It largely depends on a matter of personal preference of what you want your dreads to look like. most people with twists anticipate neat dreads. If this is what you anticipate do not expect that from following the advice of jsut letting them be. Yes you will get beautiful dreads by letting them be, but in the process they will certainly not look neat by what most people with twists describe as neat. I just thought you may want to hear from someone who has close to your hairtype and has done alot of research on twists. Mine myself are not twists they were twist and rip to neglect method.

dreads are awesome pretty much either way. I say let those babies go and free form them only seperating when needed. But know that is not the only option you have.

-Spencer

btw (check out my baby locks.)

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form