Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

what are some of the best/ worst questions that you get about your dreads

Erin Joy Lauzon
@erin-joy-lauzon
15 years ago
15 posts
I work at a customer service desk in a mall and get lots of questions and comments. I dont mind explaining them to ppl. The worst though was an old guy in a wheelchair coming up to the desk to say " your hair is so ugly, its just ugly, it looks terrible, why would you do that to your hair? its so ugly" etc... seriously he used the word ugly like 6 or 8 times!!i was just like "sorry you feel that way"
updated by @erin-joy-lauzon: 07/23/15 04:28:50PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
my reply would be ..not as ugly as your attitude Erin Joy Lauzon said:
I work at a customer service desk in a mall and get lots of questions and comments. I dont mind explaining them to ppl. The worst though was an old guy in a wheelchair coming up to the desk to say " your hair is so ugly, its just ugly, it looks terrible, why would you do that to your hair? its so ugly" etc... seriously he used the word ugly like 6 or 8 times!!
i was just like "sorry you feel that way"

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
echolynnrain
@echolynnrain
15 years ago
72 posts
This thread has been great, lmao! I was discriminated at a mall just for looking hippie and I don't even have dreads. I was walking into a mall entrance and there was a bunch of teenagers hanging outside and one obnoxiously loud girl starts saying, "oh look at me, I'm a hippie" and she started mocking a hippie girl dancing. I was actually shocked.soaringeagle> that is how I felt when I lived in Detroit...I felt safe. I'd leave my car unlocked, which had an expensive sound system in it. I fed members of the 7 mi. dogs dinner every evening for a year and a half until I moved away. These kids were 18 to 20 and so sweet. My house I truly believe was like a sanctuary for them...where they could let go of their gangster armour and just be themselves. It was a beautiful thing. I made them leave their guns outside in the front bush, lol. I was really against guns.I have one more thing to add...brb
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
seei knew even tho i only seen ya fromthe back i knew ya were totaly beautifulass a person..i love ya alreadyand i mean that..ya are for sure someone special i can really respectdamn it i wanna hug ya now..this is just too damn coolthe last site i was on when i told ppl that they called me a liarbut you know 1st hand what sharing a lil love can do to those who are so lackingbefore that long ago(still had 1st set of dreads so 21 years a\go?)i did a thing called philly youth at riskwe took rival gangs and literaly tied them together putting thjem through challenges where they had to depend on eachother to get throughit was a 10 day intencive thing where they expected riots on truth day..i was on security..with dreadsthe rumer went around i was an axe mudererthe last day though i was the only 1 the kids gave a standinmg ovation too, and years laterid run into em and theyd rave about how we changed theyre lives echolynnrain said:
This thread has been great, lmao! I was discriminated at a mall just for looking hippie and I don't even have dreads. I was walking into a mall entrance and there was a bunch of teenagers hanging outside and one obnoxiously loud girl starts saying, "oh look at me, I'm a hippie" and she started mocking a hippie girl dancing. I was actually shocked.

soaringeagle> that is how I felt when I lived in Detroit...I felt safe. I'd leave my car unlocked, which had an expensive sound system in it. I fed members of the 7 mi. dogs dinner every evening for a year and a half until I moved away. These kids were 18 to 20 and so sweet. My house I truly believe was like a sanctuary for them...where they could let go of their gangster armour and just be themselves. It was a beautiful thing. I made them leave their guns outside in the front bush, lol. I was really against guns.

I have one more thing to add...brb

--
echolynnrain
@echolynnrain
15 years ago
72 posts
I want a hug now too! Lol...hopefully at the next rainbow annual! :) I will find you...infact I'll leave you a message at welcome home to let you know where i'm camped, :)That is so cool about the youth group. I have soooo much respect for those who work with kids and teenagers. I will be honest, we smoked weed and drank beer with these kids but yet still showed them a different reality. In fact we bought our weed from these kids. But still...it was an awesome experience. The first nite the first gang member, lowcreep, came to our house we were just finishing up dinner...which was coneydogs. I was done but still had some left on my plate. I got up to scrap it off into the garbage, and lowcreep spoke up and asked if he could eat it. I was stunned...and immediately told him I would just make him up his own new plate, so I did. That touched my heart. This kid was hungry! He wasn't getting fed at home. Another kid wanted to paint on his car our little mutts name, which was "Little Girl". We had a great dane, a chow/akita mix and a lap dog/ little mutt. She was really cute. These kids loved the little dog! I mean over the great dane and chow, lol. I just can't express enough how sweet these kids were when given the oppurtunity. I know you know what I mean. ;) Sry to hijack the thread btw...! :)
echolynnrain
@echolynnrain
15 years ago
72 posts
I wanted to add this...the story of Samson and Delilah. A lot of you have probably heard the story even if you're not a Christian. If you don't know the story...in a nutshell it is this...Samson has super strength from God...and it's in his locks of hair. Delilah tries to trick him into telling her his secret. She cuts it off while he's sleeping and it grows back. She eventually brings him down by tricking him one again and he prays and then brings down the pillars on the people who wanted to kill him. There are scholars and Christains I know who believe that the locks were in fact dreads. When I get dreads going I may have to use this if I'm discriminated at a church, lol. :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
tell them u took the vow of the nazerineThe Nazirite vow involved 3 things - no alcohol, including all products of the grape vine, uncut hair for a time, and no contact with the dead:"And The Lord said to Moses, "Say to the people of Israel, When either a man or a woman makes a special vow, the vow of a Nazirite, to separate himself to The Lord, he shall separate himself from wine and strong drink; he shall drink no vinegar made from wine or strong drink, and shall not drink any juice of grapes or eat grapes, fresh or dried. All the days of his separation he shall eat nothing that is produced by the grapevine, not even the seeds or the skins. All the days of his vow of separation no razor shall come upon his head; until the time is completed for which he separates himself to The Lord, he shall be holy; he shall let the locks of hair of his head grow long. All the days that he separates himself to The Lord he shall not go near a dead body. Neither for his father nor for his mother, nor for brother or sister, if they die, shall he make himself unclean; because his separation to God is upon his head. All the days of his separation he is holy to The Lord." (Numbers 6:1-8 RSV)When the period of the vow ended, the Nazirite then burned his shaven hair and presented a number of offerings to God (Numbers 6:10-21). While Nazirite vows in most cases were quite temporary, usually 30 to 100 days, there were also those who were Nazirites from birth to death e.g. Samson (Judges 13:7) and John The Baptist (Luke 1:15-17)Nazirite vows were not just a pre-Christian practice. The apostle Paul, a man who wrote much of the New Testament, took a Nazirite vow on occasion (Acts 18:18, 21:22-26) (see also On The Road To Damascus and Paul's First Missionary Journey and Paul's Second Missionary Journey and Paul's Third Missionary Journey).Fact Finder: After the angel announced to Samson's parents that he would be a Nazirite from birth, how did the angel go back up into the sky?Judges 13:20this is the christian texts that support dreadingevery religion has some echolynnrain said:
I wanted to add this...the story of Samson and Delilah. A lot of you have probably heard the story even if you're not a Christian. If you don't know the story...in a nutshell it is this...

Samson has super strength from God...and it's in his locks of hair. Delilah tries to trick him into telling her his secret. She cuts it off while he's sleeping and it grows back. She eventually brings him down by tricking him one again and he prays and then brings down the pillars on the people who wanted to kill him. There are scholars and Christains I know who believe that the locks were in fact dreads. When I get dreads going I may have to use this if I'm discriminated at a church, lol. :)

--
echolynnrain
@echolynnrain
15 years ago
72 posts
Interesting read, thanks brother! I have heard about the nazerine vow but didn't know too much about it. So as far as the fact finder part, the angel ascended into the flame on the altar. Now I lost what I was gonna say...I'm not awake enough, lol...need more coffee. :) soaringeagle said:
tell them u took the vow of the nazerine

The Nazirite vow involved 3 things - no alcohol, including all products of the grape vine, uncut hair for a time, and no contact with the dead:

"And The Lord said to Moses, "Say to the people of Israel, When either a man or a woman makes a special vow, the vow of a Nazirite, to separate himself to The Lord, he shall separate himself from wine and strong drink; he shall drink no vinegar made from wine or strong drink, and shall not drink any juice of grapes or eat grapes, fresh or dried. All the days of his separation he shall eat nothing that is produced by the grapevine, not even the seeds or the skins. All the days of his vow of separation no razor shall come upon his head; until the time is completed for which he separates himself to The Lord, he shall be holy; he shall let the locks of hair of his head grow long. All the days that he separates himself to The Lord he shall not go near a dead body. Neither for his father nor for his mother, nor for brother or sister, if they die, shall he make himself unclean; because his separation to God is upon his head. All the days of his separation he is holy to The Lord." (Numbers 6:1-8 RSV)

When the period of the vow ended, the Nazirite then burned his shaven hair and presented a number of offerings to God (Numbers 6:10-21). While Nazirite vows in most cases were quite temporary, usually 30 to 100 days, there were also those who were Nazirites from birth to death e.g. Samson (Judges 13:7) and John The Baptist (Luke 1:15-17)

Nazirite vows were not just a pre-Christian practice. The apostle Paul, a man who wrote much of the New Testament, took a Nazirite vow on occasion (Acts 18:18, 21:22-26) (see also On The Road To Damascus and Paul's First Missionary Journey and Paul's Second Missionary Journey and Paul's Third Missionary Journey).

Fact Finder: After the angel announced to Samson's parents that he would be a Nazirite from birth, how did the angel go back up into the sky?
Judges 13:20

this is the christian texts that support dreading
every religion has some

echolynnrain said:
I wanted to add this...the story of Samson and Delilah. A lot of you have probably heard the story even if you're not a Christian. If you don't know the story...in a nutshell it is this...

Samson has super strength from God...and it's in his locks of hair. Delilah tries to trick him into telling her his secret. She cuts it off while he's sleeping and it grows back. She eventually brings him down by tricking him one again and he prays and then brings down the pillars on the people who wanted to kill him. There are scholars and Christains I know who believe that the locks were in fact dreads. When I get dreads going I may have to use this if I'm discriminated at a church, lol. :)
HealingAmungTheTrees
@healingamungthetrees
15 years ago
93 posts
I will have to remember that Samson and John the Baptist thing. I am actually a christian (baptist) and I am sure I will eventually run into someone who will have a problem with my dready head. If it is good enough for John the Baptist it's good enough for me :)
Chevelle Trant
@chevelle-trant
15 years ago
33 posts
I get the old do you wash them bit a lot,, Then the can I touch them , how long have you had them, why did you want them , are you going to cut them to get a good job?, and the best one ever was the preacher of a christian church here,,He asked me why I would grow my hair in such a disgraceful manner,,I asked him to look up on his wall the next time he went into his church and look at the guy on the cross he prays to,,lol, tell me what his hair looks like cuz i bet its not buzz cut.

/ 6

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form