Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Scalp gunk and itchies?

Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
12 years ago
158 posts
Next time I wash I'll try adding a bit more and see if that helps clear it up. I was originally using about double the bs, but it was the same scalp issue, so I lessened it to the measurements I use now. Is it possible I'd need to use even more? Like 3 times more? I just don't know if there's a point where it's just way too much bs lol. I'll also try boiling the water too. That sounds like a good idea in case I do have hard water
updated by @cristin-nessen: 07/13/15 09:49:26AM
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

I would start with the boiling water thing first with your current proportions and see if, after a while, it clears itself up. Everyone's scalp is different as well as other environmental factors... so experimentation is always a great way to see what works and doesn't. Of course, nothing is going to change overnight so, keep track of progress over a specified length of time and compare results. :)

And seriously, good luck! I have dark hair and a sensitive scalp so I know the challenges with finding something that works.

Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
12 years ago
158 posts
Alright, the boiling will be the next thing I try! Thank you so much for your help! I'm actually getting kinda excited to try it! Lol :)
FREEBIRD
@freebird
12 years ago
15 posts

I'm about at the same place you are 3 1/2mnths. I take a blender fill with water just dump about for shakes of baking powder, 20 and 20 drops of rosemary and tea tree oil. I only wash once a week. havn't had any problems yet.

Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
12 years ago
158 posts
Maybe I should invest in some rosemary. I've heard it can darken your hair, so I've been hesitant, but it sounds like I should give it a whirl :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

youd have to make a tea to darken hair the oil shoouldnt

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

most definitely your water. when i first started my journey i could'nt figure out how people were getting such a good clean with bs when all i was getting wasundissolved bs in my pitcher and white goo on my scalp. doing some research i found that people who do "no poo" had figured out the bs doesn't break down in water with high mineral content. you need to use filtered water or you'll have to boil the water. i tried a bs wash the first day i got my water filter and i finally was able to see why people were raving about it. i took a 2 qt pitcher of filtered water and added 1/2 cup of bs and stirred. it made a wonderful fizzing sound (which it never had before) and when i felt the water it has a nice soft almost slick feel to it unlike the gritty texture when mixed with hard water. my hair and scalp get super clean and i follow it up with an acv rinse(2tbs. acv to 2 qts. water). my hair and scalp have never been this clean and felt this great. i still have a bit of flaking but my scalp is on the dry side so whatever.

Earthstudios
@earthstudios
12 years ago
108 posts

I went through that stage too, I washed hair everyday and scratched my scalp while the shampoo was in with my finger nails to looseneverythingup. Now my scalp has adjusted and no more build up. Some here say wash less, I say wash everyday. I figure the washing motions tangle hair even more thus dreading faster. but hey, to each their own... GL with your dredies :)

Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
12 years ago
158 posts
Wow I'll definitely be trying the water boiling thing! Thank you for the detailed info! This might sound dumb, but do I boil the water and then mix in the bs once it's boiling, or just mix it up and boil it all at once? It probably makes no difference, but I just wanna make sure I get it down right lol
Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

boil the water first and then take it off the heat and let it cool down for about 5 minutes before adding the bs. if you add the bs while its boiling then it will fizz up and over the pot edge. then let it cool down to a temperature that comfortable to pour over your head. add whatever oils you want too.

i wash my hair over the bath tub with my head hanging down in front of me so i have better access to my scalp. i make my bs wash in a pitcher and then pour it over my dry hair and catch it in a bowl in the bathtub. i then pour the water back into the pitcher and repeat this a couple more times and then rinse. i don't always do an acv rinse but if i do then i fill the pitcher with water again and then add about 2 tbs. acv and pour that over my head. then i rinse for about 10 minutes with cold water.

hope this helps:)

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form