Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Do rubber bands help?

Valerie2
@valerie2
13 years ago
9 posts

Can anyone tell me if rubber bands help toseparate dreads when using the natural method? I'm washing my dreads for the first time and i just wondered if the rubber bands would help from keeping it from going together. I've only been dreading for a week ha. Any help is appreciated . Thanks

updated by @valerie2: 02/14/15 11:43:46AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

rubber bands are a terible idea just removing them removes knots and they can become engulfed..swallowed by thye dread to dry rot inside

u never want rubber bands in dreads

besides they can cause weak points and all sorts of trpubles

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Valerie2
@valerie2
13 years ago
9 posts

Okay thanks. I was going to try it, cause i heard it would help, but i won't bother now ha ha. I'll throw them away. Thank you

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
13 years ago
409 posts

Wouldn't using rubber bands also weaken the support network of hairs? Eventually during the dreading process you can't see your scalp much because of the hairs from one dread in the root area are trying to encroach in the 'territory' of another dread nearby. This strengthens the dread. I mean, you want to separate them but not so much that you see these uniform lines all down your head. That's not very natural looking.

You'd also end up with floppy dreads with big loose loops at the top when you took the rubber bands out. not terribly attractive. And then you'd be tempted to crochet and.... ugh. Go natural!! Your hair will lay properly as it's meant to and will form correctly.

Aya Heartright
@aya-heartright
13 years ago
91 posts

I'm confused whenseparatingdreads you still want the roots to be tangly or do you want the sections to be where you see a candistincthair part between dreads? I'm about 2 weeks in tnr but most fell out to prob. 3 inches of normal hair at the roots.

Also, would it ok to just rubber band while in the shower then take them out after the hair dries? I find that to be when my sections get the worst.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack this post. Figured it was relevant to it though =/

hank jordan aka  šøfâk¡ñgš¡¢
@hank-jordan-aka-fkg
13 years ago
4 posts

in my exp.. they sucked..didnt hlp at all really...and some are now a part of my dread cuz i couldnt find them or / didnt take out in time..basicly waste of time

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

thats why u never use em

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Keith Lackey
@keith-lackey
13 years ago
62 posts

That's where I'm confused at. I had some hair I wanted to experiment on and since I didn't have beads I used rubber bands and it actually started to knot up my hair. The hair had all come loose from my TnR so I thought I would try something else.I didn't use the rubber bands on the roots but on the tips. It started to knot up around the rubber band and eventually worked its way down. I left a couple in so I could take pictures to give an example. I have one that is beginning to get swallowed now but I will be taking it out once I get pictures taken and posted on here.

Please don't take this post the wrong way. I don't mean to be negative, I'm still learning a lot about the process. SE has been more than helpful to me along my path, and I thank the other members for their support as well.

@hank-jordan-aka-fkg
13 years ago
4 posts

honestly i cant say the bands did or didnt hlp...im still a noob "only 7 months in" but i can say i regret puttin them in..

@hank-jordan-aka-fkg
13 years ago
4 posts

from what i read posted by others that have more exp. than i do,your hair is going to do what said rubberbands do..on its own..ppl just get in a rush..therefore do anything ppl say to do to make it happen faster...learn from the pro's,and dont just do things cuz some website trying to sell you products says to..

that being said..you finding THISdread community i feel your in good hands and done with bad rumors..

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form