Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Do rubber bands help?

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
13 years ago
409 posts

Hank, I've got help for the 'eaten' rubber bands! Go to your sewing section in Walmart or wherever is convenient. Look for a "stitch ripper." Sometimes it's called a "seam ripper." Same thing. It's a semi-hooked looking stabbing type tool with a very small handle. They're usually less than two inches in length total.Here's a pic:

Find the rubber band in your dread and very very gently ease in the tip of the stitch ripper under it. The stitch ripper has a VERY sharp cutting edge toward the inside curve(under the red safety nob). All you have to do is push a tiny bit and POP! Your rubber band will be history. Then you can pull it out as one piece.

updated by @angel-frye: 07/22/15 02:30:33PM
hank jordan aka  šøfâk¡ñgš¡¢
@hank-jordan-aka-fkg
13 years ago
4 posts

that would have been very useful a few months ago..they are long gone by now...

Keith Lackey
@keith-lackey
13 years ago
62 posts

Yeah I'm glad I found this site. It's like an encyclopedia for dreadlocks, and more. Without this site I probably wouldn't have known about baking soda for shampoo, among other things.

I've been wanting dreads since I was young, probably 13 or so but never grew my hair out. I started growing my hair out a few years ago and finally decided to dread them. I never took the time to research until about 6-7 mo's ago. Most of the people I know just said get some beeswax and twist my hair. I thought about it, but didn't want to mess up my hair. I looked up "locticions" and found one charging over $100. That's way 2 much money for fixing hair!! I used to get it braided and cornrowed until I found this site and learned about the different methods.

The rubber bands were an idea that popped into my head as an alternative to beads. I figured they would serve the same purpose and I could save some money (yeah I'm a tight wad) but I'll eventually go ahead and buy some beads.

hank jordan aka fkg said:

from what i read posted by others that have more exp. than i do,your hair is going to do what said rubberbands do..on its own..ppl just get in a rush..therefore do anything ppl say to do to make it happen faster...learn from the pro's,and dont just do things cuz some website trying to sell you products says to..

that being said..you finding THIS dread community i feel your in good hands and done with bad rumors..

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form