Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

18 dreads?

taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

My dreads were maybe a year or so old then...so it has been a while. It was painful. I put grape seed oil on my dread. I didn't soak it in oil...just enough for it to feel a bit greasy. I started at the root and pulled the dread into 2 little by little. It took all day and my scalp was sore for several more. I ended up with one quite a bit shorter than the other. I washed the dread in dawn dishwashing soap to remove the oil. I haven't had any problems with the split dreads since ( I did it to two of them). But I wish that I had known in the beginning what I know now lol. But hopefully I can keep someone else from having to go through that ordeal.

Princess Kay said:

Interestig post!

I have a question for taye:

I think i might have the same problem you had, some of my dreads in the back top of my head might be too thick....

have i read that you separated them? how? you didnt have to undoe them?

updated by @taye: 07/23/15 03:28:31AM
taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

They are not going to look anything like that in a year. You are gonna be so surprised at how thick it will be. You are definitely on the right path!!

Sweet,
@sweet
11 years ago
133 posts
I have 32 dreads and I really didn,t think I had that many, I know for sure they have filled out as I,m a year and a half to 2 years, I have very fine hair, but as a hairdresser I know on average you would loose about 100 hairs a day, now when you have dreads the hairs that fall out daily can,t escape and that is where the thickness comes from. Having thinner hair I did 1 inch sections and I sure know my dreads ran,t 1 inch thick, even though I would love that! I did start off with 22 dreads so I slit some up at the beginning just like where your at the moment, I,m so happy I did that cause now I have at least a few more dreadies to fill the gaps, It makes me wonder if I did the fringe too maybe then it will fill the gaps. I really love Taya,s dreads and wanted mine to be exactly like hers but now I have found that my dreads fill up the space of joining my thumb and middle finger on 1 hand! Really thin I think. If you do split some of your dreadies just pull and if you have to snip bait at some areas don,t worry, you can always do a bit of a wrap or put a dread sleeve if one needs rescuing.Good luck andPeace.
Sweet,
@sweet
11 years ago
133 posts
They look beautiful and neat and they will thicken up to at least 3 times the size, well done.

Meg said:

Gosh, you are so sweet! (:
Well, I twist and ripped 5 sections, and now I'm worried that they're too thin, could you please tell me what you think? This is half of the bottom section, I tried making them nickel-sized, with one quarter-sized.

taye said:

You are the blessing :) Don't ever be sorry for questions.

updated by @sweet: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Meg5
@meg5
11 years ago
55 posts

Thanks so much everyone! I can't help but worry about how thin they are, since it seems like every youtube video and picture I see of 1-7 day old "dreads", they look so much thicker than mine.Most ofmine are thinner than pencils haha!I'm completely trusting you wonderful souls though :)

Meg5
@meg5
11 years ago
55 posts

Almost all of my hair is twist and ripped, except for the top layer. Each dread is extremely thin, my parents are so disgusted saying that they can't believe I'd do this to my "beautiful" hair. I'm freaking out a little, are these too thin? If not, does anyone have some sort of idea of when they're likely to thicken even a little bit? Thanks again!

updated by @meg5: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

They are gonna start developing loops, bumps and crazy ziggzags. Your hair is gonna start to shrink. As it shrinks it will become thicker. It really does go through a very crazy stage before it starts to look more like dreads. It takes dreads a year ( more or less) to mature. Mine started to thicken at about 3 or 4 months.

Meg5
@meg5
11 years ago
55 posts

I feel so relieved now! (: I don't care about what they look like now, but I wanted to make sure that I am doing it right. I can't believe how generous and friendly everyone is on here, I just can't express enough how grateful I am :)

taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

In a year or so....each one of those strands will be double or triple the size that they are now. They could be even thicker.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Taye is a sweetheart!

Meg said:

You are such a blessing, thank you immensely!!! I'm sorry for all of the questions, I almost didn't post this but am so happy that I did and for your responses!

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form