Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dreads and jobs

ratcakie
@ratcakie
15 years ago
60 posts
im an arborist (practising arboriculture, not arborcide) or tree surgeon as its called in other countries, ive only been dreading for about a mounth or so, ive not had a problem so far, i actualy think it helps, as my clients are a bit more relaxed and dont feel like im going to want to cut down their trees with out exploring other possabilties first...as with contract climbing for other companies they dont seem to mind either, but i spose they cant really expect a clean cut staight edge looking person willing to spend their days getting dirty climbing trees...
updated by @ratcakie: 07/22/15 05:22:38AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
i know 1 friend of ours joined here but isnt on often because hes a rocket scientist..coyoteguys brilliant

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Amber-Dawn Andersen
@amber-dawn-andersen
14 years ago
14 posts
I work as a bartender,sounds like the ideal job for a dready, right? No, not here were i live!!! I am also the Founder and Director of an Artists Cooperative and Creative Community Center. There I am respected for the things I do, my hair is not "THE" issue. I like to know people by their works, and if I should be "judged", I should hope that it would be for the things I have done here in my community. I actually take more crap from the bar owners I work for than I do the bankers, community leaders and politicians here in my community that I have to deal with every day! I guess what I am trying to say is, be the most effective, kind, loving and honest person you can be, the rest will follow...
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
i was on the board of directors of an artist coop that was partnered with my lots of love group (see post in dreads as community leaders sectioin) id meet with the mayor city council extremely wealty patrons, business and media leaders (many on our advisory board)law enforcement (due to it being a drug infested ood) and curch leaders, all gave me great respect, except the leader of the rich curch tat bussed in members from 3 states..they were still freindly but dissmissed me as being less then serius..mostly cause tey wanted to take over our entire block and make it a church parking lot

--
Amber-Dawn Andersen
@amber-dawn-andersen
14 years ago
14 posts
I know that most people look at me and expect less of me, like I'm unintelligent or not as capable, because I choose to dread my hair. They say things like, "why did you do that to your hair"? or, "you had such beautiful hair". As soon as they realize that I am the one that will organize that fund raiser for their sick child, or drop off coats and snow pants at the school for our neighborhood kids, or send off boxes of food to Afghanistan for our brothers and sisters away from home, then all of the sudden, their impression of who I am changes. I was still this person before they knew who I was... soaringeagle said:
i was on the board of directors of an artist coop that was partnered with my lots of love group (see post in dreads as community leaders sectioin) id meet with the mayor city council extremely wealty patrons, business and media leaders (many on our advisory board)
law enforcement (due to it being a drug infested ood) and curch leaders, all gave me great respect, except the leader of the rich curch tat bussed in members from 3 states..they were still freindly but dissmissed me as being less then serius..mostly cause tey wanted to take over our entire block and make it a church parking lot
labmofgod
@labmofgod
14 years ago
94 posts
i wish it was as easy for me to get a job.. and i dont even have dreads as of right now i just have longish hair and that seems to be enough of a reason not to hire me because i havent been able to land a job in like 6 months and its starting to piss me off.
Aurora Borealis
@aurora-borealis
14 years ago
34 posts
I work at a very liberal store and coffee shop. When my boss found out I was dreading she wasn't excited but I don't think she minds. Because I live in the midwest, we're a little low on tolerance, but I think we're moving in the right direction.
RootzValley
@rootzvalley
14 years ago
1 posts
I'm working as an information specs analyst to a conversion process company. Before i got the job, I had cut off my dreads of 3 yrs for the sake of my work. But after 4 agonizing years of working and waiting, it pays off.. I'm very much happy now how they let me wear and do my locks after inculcating to them the true essence of my locks. Its not about fashion and its not about hairstyle. I believe in my heart that its my lifestyle. A lifestyle that creates the wholeness of being me. Proud to be and very much happy that I'm a dreadhead again. :)
V0rN
@v0rn
14 years ago
16 posts
Im a builder! Got my dreads middle of last yearHavent had any real problems.Although when i was a shepherd for a bit i applied for a job and got it but was told by the boss..... "Your gunna have to cut them dreadlocks , we have alot of important clients who come here to purchase rams ( They have a sheep sale where they sit around a mini arena and look at rams for sale and bidd on them yada yada yaaddaa). When i look back now ... I feel alot of anger towards this person..
updated by @v0rn: 07/22/15 05:22:51AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
u could sue all 3 for descriminationi would have flat out told the interviewer that they weerre being offensive and descriminatory and risking a civil lawsuiteor would have maybe been less threeattening and simply said are you aeware that xxxxx was sued for trying to deny jobs to people with dreads and its a civil rights violation Peter Hollingshead said:
i was turned down from 3 jobs last month because my dreads, and still have yet to find one. Subway said that my dreads were a health code violation, which made no sense. so i explained to them that non-dreaded hair loses about 300 hairs a day while i lose next to none and that i wash my hair every other day, but they didn't listen. A local nursery said that "extreme hairstyles" were against their policy, so i bid them good day. Vons said my dreads were "offensive" even though i treated the interviewer with kindness and respect. apparently who i am doesn't matter...

--

/ 16

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form