Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

vinegar alternative question [& natural living changes sharing :o]

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Sorry, this is a little off topic. You took down all your hanging mirrors, just wondering why? My living room has 7, kitchen has a 4x8 foot, same as bathroom-plus 1 above sink, hallway has 3, dining room has 1, this is just on them main floor. I love bright rooms and these mirrors bounce the sunlight all around.

I don't wear makeup, can get ready to go out within 5 minutes or however long it takes to throw on jeans, so the mirrors are definitely not an image thing, nothing would be further from the truth.

Mirrors can be used for other things than admiring ones image.....Peace

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

A cold head rinse, as cold as you can take it will help your scalp. When you go to a no wash routine, I assume you are still wetting it, so finish off with the cold head rinse, that will sure help ya...Peace

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

I just like taking down mirrors because it completely prevents you from seeing what your locks look like at any given time. You can't just walk up to one and look, and you can't accidently catch yourself in one. To me, it's theroputic to not be able to see myself. Plus I'm just creeped out by mirrors. It's my pet peeve

Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

There is sea salt in vicki's lockin up shampoo.

peace

taye said:

Stop with the salt. Salt isextremely drying. You should never ever use salt in your shampoo. It is ok to spray a very very diluted sea salt water mixture on your hair a few hours before you wash...but keep it off your scalp.

taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

There may be salt in her shampoo...but JXhippielovinpeace is having problems with her scalp being dry. She said it bleeds. Salt isEXTREMELY drying. It is one of the reasons that it is sprayed on hair to help it dread. It removes oil and helps the hair knot up. When sprayed on hair it should be diluted and sprayed on the length not the scalp. It should also be washed out shortly afterward or it can actually dry the hair out too much which can cause brittleness and inextreme cases can cause breakage. Now if the scalp is so dry that it is breaking the skin open.....salt is gonna strip All of the natural moisture/oils from the skin and make the skin's natural ability to heal itself much more difficult.So i really don't care what ingredients are in that shampoo.....the salt is gonna be harmful in this instance. So I repeat myself.....stop using salt in your wash altogether. At least until the scalp has healed. :)
Tim said:

There is sea salt in vicki's lockin up shampoo.

peace

taye said:

Stop with the salt. Salt isextremely drying. You should never ever use salt in your shampoo. It is ok to spray a very very diluted sea salt water mixture on your hair a few hours before you wash...but keep it off your scalp.

JXhippielovinpeace
@jxhippielovinpeace
11 years ago
23 posts

Oh my word! Thank you all for the numerous replies/sharing wisdom/partaking in this discussion (or perhaps "debacle" of mine).

Update, since it's been a while since I posted this:

Against the advice of most, I have pretty much stopped washing my hair. I actually did a few hours ago today, because I felt it was time to, but I essentially didn't wash my dreads or scalp since I posted this however long ago it was. I actually realized HOW dry my scalp was, once I stopped washing and it actually healed. No more dandruff. No problems.

Cutting down to washing 1-2x per week (which is how much I've been showering anyway) helped. But since then I've cut down further and stopped washing my dreads (and only wash my scalp really every 3 weeks (maybe 4 weeks?).Honestly, I can't tell you how much it's helped me.

I cut out using anything other than a TINY bit of dr. Bronners and a few sprinkles of baking soda (and of course water). When it's gotten irritated (which is RARE now that I've stopped washing, or "over-washing"for me that is).

I plan on giving my dreads a good wash (with liquid dr. bronners and BS) every few months. I try to keep my head out of the water in the shower as much as possible but have just been rinsing my scalp and hair about 1x a week.I work on a farm and little specks of dirt do appear from time to time on my scalp (oddly though, not typically IN/ON my dreads). When this happens I kinda rub them off, pick them out, as best I can, then rinse that night.

Hope I answered all your questions, or responded in ways that might be helpful to you! Thanks again for replying to this forum.

Best,

MC (or JX)

JXhippielovinpeace
@jxhippielovinpeace
11 years ago
23 posts

I definitely know what ya mean, regarding the sudden surprise of shop window reflections. Luckily I don't have to deal with those too much any more, now that I live in a very beautiful, mountainous, rural area. It's going well though!! :D My scalp NO LONGER HAS ANY SORES!! Ignoring my dreads in now this much easier. TRUE TRUE neglect is working WONDERS for me :)

Noodle-Doo said:

It's been a few weeks now. How's it going, JX? Any better? Sore scalp is nasty, it's so hard to leave it alone...

That thing about mirrors was interesting. I really like to see what my hair's been doing, coz I think it's so much fun when it changes. Remember the first time my shadow looked like it had locks instead of my old hair, I was like "who-hoo!". And if I suddenly see myself in a shop window, it always surprises me that I've got little dreads now. Ever noticed how seeing yourself by accident is a different experience, like you see yourself as other people do, or something? It's fun seeing how people have different views on things like that. I used to hate mirrors, too, and kept a towel over it unless I needed it to shave or whatever.

JXhippielovinpeace
@jxhippielovinpeace
11 years ago
23 posts

TOTALLY. VERY VERY VERY therapeutic for me. Awesome to see you've discovered this too (before me lol).

Baba Fats said:

I just like taking down mirrors because it completely prevents you from seeing what your locks look like at any given time. You can't just walk up to one and look, and you can't accidently catch yourself in one. To me, it's theroputic to not be able to see myself. Plus I'm just creeped out by mirrors. It's my pet peeve

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Gee Baba Fats, guess if you ever come to visit Niagara Falls, you won't be stopping by my place. All my mirrors will creep you out. Would you believe I never accidentally catch myself in one, I walk past them but don't look, I am just a passing reflection. I love how the sunlight plays with the mirrors & the rooms. They have been there for so long that I don't even think of them as mirrors! Peace

Baba Fats said:

updated by @the-barrellady: 07/17/15 09:37:01AM
JXhippielovinpeace
@jxhippielovinpeace
11 years ago
23 posts

muchas gracias love! :) yes, I cold head rinse if I'm rinsing at all (but mostly because I try to close off my pores with cold at the end of a shower.. good to know this helps the scalp too!

Kato said:

hi there, its so good to hear people making positive green choices!
if you hate the smell of the acv you could try putting essential oil of lavender and rosemary, i fi d this combination great for soothing and makes the smell alot better.
peace and blessings to you.

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form