Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Baking soda wash not working?

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
i've actually tried a little bit of bs with my shampoo and it works great! i don't do it every time because i don't want to dry out my scalp but if i'm feeling a bit more grimy on my scalp then its wonderful.

Faelwynn said:
You say that, but again I've had ABSOLUTELY NO issues washing this way. No decrease in dreading time/knotting, no residue, nothing. Plus, my hair before dreading was super oily, and it's actually helped cut down the oiliness a ton. I can now go a number of days without washing my hair where before I could only go maybe one, two if I was feeling really lazy and had nowhere to be.

Everything that you use is going to leave SOME residue, it's just unavoidable. I'm not going to pay twice as much for a non-residue shampoo, because in the end it will still leave some form of residue. If anyone is finding that the acv is leaving their hair too slick, then they probably need to cut back on the acv in their rinse or start using white vinegar which isn't as conditioning as the acv but will still remove any extra gunk that's built up.

As another side note, I also find that when I need a deeper clean that it's a bit gentler on my scalp to mix just a tiny bit (maybe .5tbsp)of baking soda in with my shampoo when washing. It gives a bit of extra scrub power without irritating my scalp.

soaringeagle said:

u

using acv after regular shampoo wull make it too acidic

it will remove residue bit make it acidic sklippery smooth and mayube lead to oiliness most shampoos are perfectly ballanced to 5.5 acv i thinks a 3 ..the acv./bs mare ballanced to put the hair in the right rancge

using a baklanced shampoo your in the right range then u throw it out with acv

better to skip acv and use a non res shampoo instead

Faelwynn said:

Honestly the b/s wash left my scalp with puss filled spots that were incredibly painful (and it did so regardless of the amount of baking soda contained in the wash). At this point, I switch between a number of different commercial shampoos or shampoo bars (handmade or otherwise) which I then follow with a moderately strong apple cider vinegar rinse. I will use the baking soda wash maybe once a month, but I don't think thatconsistentuse is for everyone.

As far as residue is concerned? After splitting a few dreads a month or so ago, I can verify that it really is over-rated; there was no flaky residue, and the knotting was SOLID (even closer to the roots) which means that it took forever for me to split those dreads completely. Commercial shampoos aren't anywhere near as detrimental as some have mentioned them being, especially when used in conjunction with the acv rinse.

However, if you do want to continue using the bs/acv wash routine, make sure that you're washing out the bs before you add the acv. If you aren't then the result of that chemical reaction is carbonic acid which does no more for your hair than rinsing it in water would. Also, if you're noticing any excess oiliness, I'd lay off the essential oils. They had a similar oiling effect on my hair the one time that they were used.

updated by @heather: 07/23/15 06:47:46PM
Zack4
@zack4
13 years ago
38 posts
So I just washed my hair with a 4 spoonful to 4 cups water bs ratio and 2 drops tea tree and rosemary, and 3 drops lavendar. Then I rinsed with the same acv but with only 3 drops of each, I still see this white residue and don't kno what to do, I have this trader joes tea tree tingle shampoo tht I started using originally. Does anybody kno if the tea tree tingle shampoo would work with dreads, its organic but doesn't state anywere that its residue free. Please help!
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
ive used the tea tree tingle shampoo in the past. i wouldn't worry to much about residue unless you have wax in your hair. just stick to clear shampoos that aren't conditioning and don't have a bunch of chemicals and you'll be fine.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

look at your faucets is there alotta white crustiness around the fauces=ftrs i wonder if the calcium buildup u get on faucets can buildup on hair?

i dunno if clr is dread safe lol wouldnt risk it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Zack4
@zack4
13 years ago
38 posts
Ok so I. Just washed my hair again to get the flakes out but this time with 4tbsp to 4 cups water and 2 drops of rosemary tea tree and lavendar oil for a bs wash, then I used the same vinegar rinse but with 3 drops of rosemary and tea tree and 5 drops lavendar. It seems like most of the flakes are gone but there are still some really close to the roots that I think mite take a couple washes to get out thanks guys!
Zack4
@zack4
13 years ago
38 posts
Oo I forgot, does anybody hve any input for trader joes tea tree tingle shampoo?
Zack4
@zack4
13 years ago
38 posts
Regard tht 2nd message I was all turned around, it worked while it was wet but once it dried it flaked again, ya tea tree tingle seemed okay but wasn't quit sure about residue, is residue what causes moldy dreads or just leavin em wet? Sorry I keep posting like 3 messages at a time lol still tryin to get used to the site
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
i personally think the whole residue thing is over hyped. i think the wax dreadlocks sites tell you to use residue free shampoo because first off they want to sell you shampoo and second because residue will get trapped in dreads that are coated with wax. moldy dreads happen if your dreads never dry completely. kind of like a towel that doesn't dry all the way and starts to smell. unless your constantly in the ocean or taking showers twice a day then there shouldn't be any problems with mold.
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
hey! your in orange, ca?? me too! the water here is hell so no wonder why your having problems with bs.
Zack4
@zack4
13 years ago
38 posts
Hahahaha ya thts cool so you understand!! Ya bronners didn't like our water haha

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form