Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Baking soda wash not working?

Zack4
@zack4
13 years ago
38 posts
I've been washing my dreads with bs/acv for about 2 weeks and I don't kno if I just noticed it or if its been there but there's lots of flakes and white specks mainly toward the roots, its startin to make me wonder wats goin on because the dr bronners made a silky film in my hair, somebody please help!
updated by @zack4: 02/14/15 07:00:04AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

how sstrong are u mixing it how long u soakimg is it leaving dandruff or like a a white paste are u useing the esential oils

bronners leaving a fu=ilm is due to hard water..im not sure how hard water would affect bs if at all

but

typical issues with bs

not strong enough to remove dandruff

too strobg that its over drying (if no acv)

no oils

bs removes the dandruff and exfoliates the scalp but does not treate the causes of dandruff thats what the essential oils do..no treatment and it comes back fast

and finalty the white mud

this is all the dandruff and dry scalp that becomes a paste (ift when exfoliated and turned to paste kinds fluffs so it seems to be too much to just be a layer of skin (at least thats what it seems like to me)

a high pressure rinse wilkl take the mud away if a light trickles not doing the truck

so how are u muixing it how long u soak what oils u use and how much (in how much water)

finaly if all adjustments and your still not likeing it you dont have to use it

its possible its your wateer too like brionners but not really convinced it is yet

do me a favor..mix a batch take a black or dark color towel fold it up into many layersd..pour it through it let it soak then rinse

see if any white residues left on the towel..if not then its definateky skin and dandruff thats not being removed or treatted

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Zack4
@zack4
13 years ago
38 posts
I use a spoonful/tablespoon of bs in 4 cups of water with 3 drops tea tree oil 3 drops rosemary and about 5 drops lavendar oil, and I let that soak for about 10 min, then I do the acv rinse which I use a capful acv to about a gallon or so ( its a juice pitcher) with 10 drops tea tree, 10 drops rosemary, and about 15 drops lavendar, I let that soak for about a minute then rinse with hot then cold water.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

try the baking soda stronger most use a tablespoon per cup about 1/4 to 1/2 cup per gakllon

otherwise seems good

let me know how that works

--
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
13 years ago
362 posts

Honestly the b/s wash left my scalp with puss filled spots that were incredibly painful (and it did so regardless of the amount of baking soda contained in the wash). At this point, I switch between a number of different commercial shampoos or shampoo bars (handmade or otherwise) which I then follow with a moderately strong apple cider vinegar rinse. I will use the baking soda wash maybe once a month, but I don't think thatconsistentuse is for everyone.

As far as residue is concerned? After splitting a few dreads a month or so ago, I can verify that it really is over-rated; there was no flaky residue, and the knotting was SOLID (even closer to the roots) which means that it took forever for me to split those dreads completely. Commercial shampoos aren't anywhere near as detrimental as some have mentioned them being, especially when used in conjunction with the acv rinse.

However, if you do want to continue using the bs/acv wash routine, make sure that you're washing out the bs before you add the acv. If you aren't then the result of that chemical reaction is carbonic acid which does no more for your hair than rinsing it in water would. Also, if you're noticing any excess oiliness, I'd lay off the essential oils. They had a similar oiling effect on my hair the one time that they were used.

Zack4
@zack4
13 years ago
38 posts
Ok ill try that!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

u

using acv after regular shampoo wull make it too acidic

it will remove residue bit make it acidic sklippery smooth and mayube lead to oiliness most shampoos are perfectly ballanced to 5.5 acv i thinks a 3 ..the acv./bs mare ballanced to put the hair in the right rancge

using a baklanced shampoo your in the right range then u throw it out with acv

better to skip acv and use a non res shampoo instead

Faelwynn said:

Honestly the b/s wash left my scalp with puss filled spots that were incredibly painful (and it did so regardless of the amount of baking soda contained in the wash). At this point, I switch between a number of different commercial shampoos or shampoo bars (handmade or otherwise) which I then follow with a moderately strong apple cider vinegar rinse. I will use the baking soda wash maybe once a month, but I don't think thatconsistentuse is for everyone.

As far as residue is concerned? After splitting a few dreads a month or so ago, I can verify that it really is over-rated; there was no flaky residue, and the knotting was SOLID (even closer to the roots) which means that it took forever for me to split those dreads completely. Commercial shampoos aren't anywhere near as detrimental as some have mentioned them being, especially when used in conjunction with the acv rinse.

However, if you do want to continue using the bs/acv wash routine, make sure that you're washing out the bs before you add the acv. If you aren't then the result of that chemical reaction is carbonic acid which does no more for your hair than rinsing it in water would. Also, if you're noticing any excess oiliness, I'd lay off the essential oils. They had a similar oiling effect on my hair the one time that they were used.

--
Zack4
@zack4
13 years ago
38 posts
How much oil in the acv rinse should I use?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

well i dont alwayds use it in the acv when i do i use more then that but i have way klonger hair i think what u got is fine but less or more wont make all that much difference after all u arent over oily u have dandruff still so use that much or more but i dont think mores the issue as much as needing more baking soda to remove it

i think

--
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
13 years ago
362 posts
You say that, but again I've had ABSOLUTELY NO issues washing this way. No decrease in dreading time/knotting, no residue, nothing. Plus, my hair before dreading was super oily, and it's actually helped cut down the oiliness a ton. I can now go a number of days without washing my hair where before I could only go maybe one, two if I was feeling really lazy and had nowhere to be.

Everything that you use is going to leave SOME residue, it's just unavoidable. I'm not going to pay twice as much for a non-residue shampoo, because in the end it will still leave some form of residue. If anyone is finding that the acv is leaving their hair too slick, then they probably need to cut back on the acv in their rinse or start using white vinegar which isn't as conditioning as the acv but will still remove any extra gunk that's built up.

As another side note, I also find that when I need a deeper clean that it's a bit gentler on my scalp to mix just a tiny bit (maybe .5tbsp)of baking soda in with my shampoo when washing. It gives a bit of extra scrub power without irritating my scalp.

soaringeagle said:

u

using acv after regular shampoo wull make it too acidic

it will remove residue bit make it acidic sklippery smooth and mayube lead to oiliness most shampoos are perfectly ballanced to 5.5 acv i thinks a 3 ..the acv./bs mare ballanced to put the hair in the right rancge

using a baklanced shampoo your in the right range then u throw it out with acv

better to skip acv and use a non res shampoo instead

Faelwynn said:

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form