Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Newly Backcombed and Waxed Dreads opinions.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

wax dreads have caused 1 member to waste 10 grand on surgeries and antibiotics the wax caused infected zits to an extreme

the day the wax was removed it all cleared up and she canceled her next already scheduled surgery

but dont re-backcomb no matter how loose they get..leave em alone

what keeps the roots seperated is..seperating..

seems logical dont it haha

do not trust any other site for info..not cause were trying to have a monopoly on it (like dhhq) but just cause almost all are harmful

theres only 2 or 3 that are reasonably ok and safe..ish

this is he only 1 i know of thats 100% trustworthy

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 07/23/15 06:58:49PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

How can dreads that are semi hard on the inside ever mature, they can't shrink & do their own thing? A person has their own choice to use or not to use wax, but they should be aware of the future problems, not told that it is okay, because really it is not, sorry Starseed. If you want dreads for a year or two, then what the shit, go for it if you want, but if you want dreads for life, YOU CAN NOT USE WAX.

Dip your finger in melted candle wax, now dip in water...does it get wet?...NO...so having this inside your semi hard dread will not allow your locks to wash properly. Lint will stick to it...If a bead of water gets stuck in the wax, it will stay there, turn to mold and smell like funk. Have you ever smelled waxed dreads, I have and some of them STINK, that is why some people think dreads are nasty...from that smell. It will not mostly come out with regular washing, it is wax!!!

Nothing is cleaner and fresher than natural dreads.

StarseedSpacedread said:

Unlike most people on this website, I'm going to tell you that wax is OK, just only use a little and only one or two applications ever. If you use to much and/or apply more than a few times, you will see slow progress in maturing as well as nasty dry wax residue in your hair. Wax is fine when starting just to keep them together. Just by washing regularly it will mostly get out, but they will still be semi hard on the inside of the dread, that wont go away until you trim those parts off. Now when it comes to backcombing, your fine, it was a good method just like twist and rip or neglect. Bad news, I see your sectioning is a grid pattern which is bad, it needs to be an offset grid pattern so the dreads fall into the right place next to each other, not on each other. The bad sectioning is reason to comb them out and start over, everything else is all good.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Starseed is right about the placement of your sections. The scalp lines you see are rows, you may want to stagger them, like brickwork.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

I do not recommend using wax and then cutting off the semi hard sections down the road. Cutting a dread will cause it to blunt at the end instead of having loose wisps. Those wisps are the drip lines to our locks which allow the water to drip off & out of the dread. Blunted tips are round, flat, fat, etc and have no drip lines, they take so many more hours to dry when mature can take over 24 hours. This can cause mold inside the dread if it is wet when sleeping or wearing a hat/tam. Drip lines help.....

StarseedSpacedread said:

Unlike most people on this website, I'm going to tell you that wax is OK, just only use a little and only one or two applications ever. If you use to much and/or apply more than a few times, you will see slow progress in maturing as well as nasty dry wax residue in your hair. Wax is fine when starting just to keep them together. Just by washing regularly it will mostly get out, but they will still be semi hard on the inside of the dread, that wont go away until you trim those parts off. Now when it comes to backcombing, your fine, it was a good method just like twist and rip or neglect. Bad news, I see your sectioning is a grid pattern which is bad, it needs to be an offset grid pattern so the dreads fall into the right place next to each other, not on each other. The bad sectioning is reason to comb them out and start over, everything else is all good.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

no wax use is not alright not even once lightly in the begining one use ruins yoir dreads forever if u dont agressivly remove it

it doesnt dread the wax only hardens so it seems to dread

and it looks diferent vbecause its glued together not dreaded

--
Bass Clef
@bass-clef
11 years ago
6 posts

Thanks for all the input everyone. I have been researching like crazy since this discussion started. Whats funny is I had a guy with dreads who was a hair stylist come in to my work and I started talking to him. He said wax was ok and recommended using it the twist and rip method.

I think there is definitely a lot of info out there and most of it seems to be very polar (Do this, DONT do this). I'm going to stay away from wax, over all what I read doesn't seem to warrant any real benefit other than control of the look of the dread and not the ultimate health of the dread.

I'll keep you all updated as I progress. Im really NOT into the idea of re-sectioning my hair. Is it that big of a deal? :/

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

how can wax be a good thing if you then have to cut the hard parts oit? its bad its bad itrs bad theres nothing at all good about it

and a checkerboard patters just dumb no matter wether its staggered or lined up

the sections should be completely random

there is absolutely nothing good about wax and even suggesting that its safe to use at all is dangerously irespi=onsible

and you should start over yourself wax free just so you learn that lesson and see the nastiness in yoir dreads and the fact that they dread way way better withiut wax

--
KnotLady
@knotlady
11 years ago
300 posts

i would definitely wait a week or twoto use a method, if you choose to, and let your hair section itself. brick lay patterns look really unnatural and its not very nice to force it on your hair lol. hair sections itself nicely.

also SE...youre so blunt. it kinda made me laugh. i agree. wax is bad. some dude told me that beeswax helped dreads hold their shape and i told him mine were natural and he said 'beeswax is natural"...why are people so insistent on wax/palmrolling? i swear its like they feel the need to make you(me, whoever) fuck up your hair like they are or have. he of course had super short hair.

KnotLady
@knotlady
11 years ago
300 posts

if you wouldnt recommend wax to a friend, then why are you saying its ok to do? just wondering....contradictions are kinda a pet peeve...

StarseedSpacedread said:

Wax is alright if used lightly at the beginning, I know from experience, it dreads if left wax free from the first uses on. No, I would not recommend wax to a friend, but its not horrible if done right. Sure, natural no wax dreads are the "healthiest", but look different than waxed backcombed dreads, its all personal preference. And No, cutting your dread does not make it blunt, it might, but wont make it, just cut at an angle

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

no ir-yt is not safe in any way cshape or foerm

is mold safe is it safe to be exctra flamable is it sagfe to never dread is it safe to get infected szits or have your hair melt

--

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form