Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Why is the community here so against maintained locs?

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
12 years ago
409 posts

You know what the lady in that vid who was doing the 'interlocking' looked like? Also, the guy she was "helping out"? They looked like they had on one of those fine mesh caps they put on you when doing highlighting on hair. They use a crochet hook(!!!LOL) to pull strands of hair through the mesh cap and then those are the hair clumps that are dyed a lighter or darker color.

So stick one of those mesh caps on your head and pull out every ten hairs or so, leaving huge gaps between. That's what they look like from 'maintaining' their hair. If you want to look like you're bald and have a few dozen braids glued to your scalp, have at it. That shit's not for me. I like my hair right where it is, thank you very much.

Everyone here who preaches and practices good dreadlocking techniques(washing and separating= success) is only trying to help reform people who have grown addicted to this scalpy, unhealthy look and also teaching newbies how to get started off on the right foot so they don't lose their hair.We're not 'against it'-- we're HORRIFIED by it! and we want to stop it!

I mean, it's kinda like Johnny Clean from that stupid assed wax-in-a-jar company saying, "If you use too much then you'll see bad results." Riiiiight!

Wax is bad. Interlocking/crocheting is bad. Period. Keep your hair on your head by leaving it heck alone.

I've found that to tame the frizzies, washing is the best thing to do. The gentle force of the water pushing down on your hair forces the knots further down and the base of your hair stays strong and 'well maintained.'

And furthermore, why would I go to someone else to wash my hair? I don't get that. Why would a salon give you a hairstyle that they say that you're just not qualified to wash by yourself in your own home.

Stop being a slave to your hair. You'll free up so much extra time in your life you'll be glad you did. AND you'll get to keep your hair on your head.

updated by @angel-frye: 07/24/15 01:56:29PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i always think of it as the doll head look like old style dolls that have holes in the head with tiny tufts of hair poking out

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Marlon Moorer
@marlon-moorer
12 years ago
24 posts

Salons dont tell you u thwash your hair o.0. ive never been latched or seen anyone around her who was. some people like the clean parts.

tbh having my hair like this woman would work for me after college

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

many salons especialy african salons tell you not to wash at all even not to get them wet for 6 months to a year!

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

that is the only recomended harmless maintenance like we were saying washing andseperating "pio\opping" is just 1 name of rippo=ing or seperating

and look how healthy hers are no huge gaos normal part (if she parts it) no exposed scalp

u know hair covers the scaklop for a reason to protect from skin cabncerr

her dreass are nice abndhealthy looking

Marlon Moorer said:

Salons dont tell you u thwash your hair o.0. ive never been latched or seen anyone around her who was. some people like the clean parts.

tbh having my hair like this woman would work for me after college

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

and you can do it yourself for free inj no time

--
new dreddie
@new-dreddie
12 years ago
75 posts
Each to his/her own, I experienced "fuckticians" who destroyed my hair. They took my money and put all kinds of crap in my hair. They promised me dreads and all I experienced nothing but heartache, contempt, hatred and broke pockets. I had to chop my hair off due to so-called lockticians. I lost hair and cash because of these lyingass people. I will try to form locks on my own, I admit I am concerned with what the outcome will be. I was told to twist my hair every two weeks, I think it is too much. I don't want alopecia and I am concerned with twisting.
new dreddie
@new-dreddie
12 years ago
75 posts
Please excuse the profanity.
new dreddie
@new-dreddie
12 years ago
75 posts
Please excuse the profanity.
☽ Jasper ☾
@jasper
12 years ago
29 posts

my friend has maintained (croquet hook and twisting) for two years...and he's already starting to bald. My other friend who is African American has had his locks for 6 years and still goes to the salon, for SIX YEARS I have not seen him without something covering his scalp! hat, do rag, sweat band, you name it he's used it to hide the top of his locks...WHAT'S HE HIDING UP THERE? Well its been SIX YEARS of hiding because he over maintained and he must be balding. You don't want to hide your locks for six years, you want to show them off and set them free! Just some personal experience for a girl in the mountains...whatever you decide to do, take care~

/ 15

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form