Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Why is the community here so against maintained locs?

Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

I don't know anything about re-twisting or going bald because of it or anything like that, so I can't say anything about it. But I dont get how it makes them look tidier? I mean, maybe I'm weird, but the picture SE often posts with his dreads, they look neat to me. Long, yes, but not untidy. Untidy dreads to me are just when they're not mature yet. My hair is untidy now, for sure, but when they're fully locked up, they won't be. Except for loose hairs, but they tend to be not as noticeable as the person with them thinks. So even if twisting doesn't cause any problems, there isn't really a point to it in my opinion, cos you get past the messiness and then it goes away.

That said, to answer your question as to why people here are against maintained dreads, it's not specifically because they're maintained, but because the methods used to maintain them have evidence to suggest that they're at worst damaging, and at best useless. If there were ways to make them neat without any harm coming to them, people wouldn't be against them. They might disagree with the idea of making dreads neat and uniform, but they wouldn't be against people's personal choice of it.

updated by @tara-c: 07/23/15 04:43:31PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

taraq that wass very well said

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

Yeah, the idea of them being messy is hard for some people, but they don't stay looking messy. I mean, pretty much every picture I've seen of people with mature dreads, they don't look messy. They have a kind of wild, free look to them I guess, but not untidy. Don't worry about looking messy though, you'll find that when your hair does go crazy, you get used to it. My hair's always been crazy and I'd obsessively try to keep it calm and neat, and now I just simply don't care lol.

Yogisunshine said:

I love this!

that's one thing i have noticed as i look around and really think i may have gotten into my head is that there will be a time when they are crazy and almost homeless looking but when they are older they will be neat because that's what happens when they are mature. for my it might be the hardest part of the whole thing to just let the crazy hair be what it is and trust the process of time! It might be the 2nd reason i want them :)

Tara C said:

I don't know anything about re-twisting or going bald because of it or anything like that, so I can't say anything about it. But I dont get how it makes them look tidier? I mean, maybe I'm weird, but the picture SE often posts with his dreads, they look neat to me. Long, yes, but not untidy. Untidy dreads to me are just when they're not mature yet. My hair is untidy now, for sure, but when they're fully locked up, they won't be. Except for loose hairs, but they tend to be not as noticeable as the person with them thinks. So even if twisting doesn't cause any problems, there isn't really a point to it in my opinion, cos you get past the messiness and then it goes away.

That said, to answer your question as to why people here are against maintained dreads, it's not specifically because they're maintained, but because the methods used to maintain them have evidence to suggest that they're at worst damaging, and at best useless. If there were ways to make them neat without any harm coming to them, people wouldn't be against them. They might disagree with the idea of making dreads neat and uniform, but they wouldn't be against people's personal choice of it.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

both the operson doing the interlocking and the person shes doing it on have early stage traction alopecia the 1 doing it has to srtop soon or its goingto get way worse

look at all that scalp!

see yiou see this every day dont you? but you dont realize it is not tidy it is a medical condition that cayuses balding

yiu do see this every day dont you?

probly in your own mirror/

--
Marlon Moorer
@marlon-moorer
12 years ago
24 posts

Well hair my grows pretty fact so its a hassle to keep my hair cut so just stopped getting it cut.

I like the look and don't want to follow suit by getting a fade or waves. but i also like mine to look nice to a certain degree. Im pretty sure this "descease" isn't garunteed to happen

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

show me maintained dreads and i'll show u early stage to moderate stage traction alopeciea if u force the rootsto be tighter then the roots want to be you are causing it to happen

thats what causes it

right/

so if your causing it wont it happen?

yes?

and they do not need it to look neat

thety are perfectly fine with just seperating

Marlon Moorer said:

Well hair my grows pretty fact so its a hassle to keep my hair cut so just stopped getting it cut.

I like the look and don't want to follow suit by getting a fade or waves. but i also like mine to look nice to a certain degree. Im pretty sure this "descease" isn't garunteed to happen

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

the messy stage is the fun exciting stage! i would hate to skip bythat!

Tara C said:

Yeah, the idea of them being messy is hard for some people, but they don't stay looking messy. I mean, pretty much every picture I've seen of people with mature dreads, they don't look messy. They have a kind of wild, free look to them I guess, but not untidy. Don't worry about looking messy though, you'll find that when your hair does go crazy, you get used to it. My hair's always been crazy and I'd obsessively try to keep it calm and neat, and now I just simply don't care lol.

Yogisunshine said:

I love this!

that's one thing i have noticed as i look around and really think i may have gotten into my head is that there will be a time when they are crazy and almost homeless looking but when they are older they will be neat because that's what happens when they are mature. for my it might be the hardest part of the whole thing to just let the crazy hair be what it is and trust the process of time! It might be the 2nd reason i want them :)

Tara C said:

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

helmet could affect them but seperating often and stuff should makeem fine but yea off season might be best cause well i had 1 freind that wrapped hers up all the time like a cloth wrap around the hairline with the dreads poking out the tiop

that made em form with balls in the ends and theroots never dreaded (lucky they didnt become 1 dread) having to havem confined like that too much can cause oddness like that

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

how many hours a day do u wear it tho?

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

oh in that case its fine it might slow progress a tiny bit pulling it on and off but shiuldnt affect how they form if thry sre loose more then stuffed in a helmet

if it was 8 hiurs every day id worry

--

/ 15

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form