Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Backcombed fresh dreads

Sam Fresh
@sam-fresh
15 years ago
9 posts
hey there, I have just gotten my dreads today, I had a few friends help me with the backcombing. At the moment they are going in every direction, Im expecting them to eventually let gravity take over and make them seem more tame, but I would like to hear it from some more experienced on the subject to let me know. Also, how often should I be palm roling or backcombing them? Should I be afriad if they seem to loosen and let them, or maintain them manually in order that they stay tight? I am also expecting to hear that I should just let them do as they please since the best way is natural, but my hair would not dread without teasing them, so would their natural instinct be to unravel and go back to my original hair?thanks for the help.
updated by @sam-fresh: 11/13/21 05:26:41PM
Daniel
@daniel
15 years ago
118 posts
ok, gonna try to handle all of your questions at once.First off, palm rollings useless without wax (please tell me you didnt use wax). Dont bother with that. Second, dont re backcomb just let your hair do its thing. They will definitely loosen over the next couple weeks and will eventually start to dread and really lock up. Some of them will remain in their holds and others wont. Everyones hair will eventually dread naturally. Chances are if your hair is naturally straight or fine it will unravel alot. If it does i would say go natural or go back and twist and rip the sections that have fallen out.Leave your hair alone for the next couple months. Let them do their thing
Sam Fresh
@sam-fresh
15 years ago
9 posts
lol, yeah sorry for the long post, I was going to use wax but after reading many posts from this site you guys have convinced me not to thanks for you suggestions, we'll see how it goes for the next few weeks.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
you knew what ya should do..just leave em be..wash when u feel u need to gently and use lil sea salt sprays now n thenmostly just forget all about em.. and yea they will look goofy awhile thats just the curse of the backcomb..honnestly i dunno why ppl even bother with that method at all..no offencebut yawill look like a clown awhile but they will settle down eventualy..probly round the time your natural dreads would be dreadin if u lt em alone completelyposttimeline in mbers jornals now Sam Fresh said:
lol, yeah sorry for the long post, I was going to use wax but after reading many posts from this site you guys have convinced me not to thanks for you suggestions, we'll see how it goes for the next few weeks.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
dreaded delusion
@dreaded-delusion
15 years ago
84 posts
All dreads look funky when starting out. Even the natural method. ;) While backcombing can give you that side show bob look the neglect method can make your hair look like a bird's nest. The key no matter what is just patience because in time whatever mehod you chose, they'll be fine in the long run. soaringeagle said:
you knew what ya should do..just leave em be..

wash when u feel u need to gently and use lil sea salt sprays now n then

mostly just forget all about em.. and yea they will look goofy awhile thats just the curse of the backcomb..honnestly i dunno why ppl even bother with that method at all..no offence
but yawill look like a clown awhile but they will settle down eventualy..probly round the time your natural dreads would be dreadin if u lt em alone completely

posttimeline in mbers jornals now
Sam Fresh said:
Daniel
@daniel
15 years ago
118 posts
i see the draw of it, it gives you instant "dreads". Now everything is how can i get this faster and the easy way. Backcombing comes across as the easy way soaringeagle said:
you knew what ya should do..just leave em be..

wash when u feel u need to gently and use lil sea salt sprays now n then

mostly just forget all about em.. and yea they will look goofy awhile thats just the curse of the backcomb..honnestly i dunno why ppl even bother with that method at all..no offence
but yawill look like a clown awhile but they will settle down eventualy..probly round the time your natural dreads would be dreadin if u lt em alone completely

posttimeline in mbers jornals now
Sam Fresh said:
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
easy way? 16 hours of hair yanking tear inducing pain dont sound like the easy way to me

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Sam Fresh
@sam-fresh
15 years ago
9 posts
I wouldnt say I did the backcombing because it was "easy" but more becuse it would give faster results, I had neglected them for about 2 months once (when my hair was shorter) while I was traveling and I wouldnt consider them dreads even by then, I will let them do their natural thing now, but at least they are relatively how I want them.PS the side-show bob comment was hilarious, I wouldnt have thought it but that it basically what I look like. Im just going to have to wear a tuque or something till they look how they should.
Daniel
@daniel
15 years ago
118 posts
16 hours? maybe a little exaggerated.. besides its definitely the fastest way to get matted lumps of goofyness that sort of resemble dreadlocks soaringeagle said:
easy way? 16 hours of hair yanking tear inducing pain dont sound like the easy way to me
dreaded delusion
@dreaded-delusion
15 years ago
84 posts
yeah man. i did the backcomb method and it only took 5 hours. currently, i just let em do their thing. im 2 and a half years in and they're lookin good. but seriously, to each his own. don't judge. all methods are fine as long as the goal and state of mind are intact and positive for the jourey that lies ahead. respect.ps. when mine where like side show bob, i rocked the bandana quite a lot. hehe
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form