Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Backcombed fresh dreads

Angel
@angel
15 years ago
77 posts
Haha I also looked like side-show bob, even when I didn't have dreads. I would go to the beach and I would have a big afro, since my hair is really curly. I did use the backcomb method, plastic tooth comb. They weren't real tight at first and they did come more loose before they got tighter. At first my hair was past my shoulders and once they got tighter they shrunk extremely. Just let them do there own thing and don't use wax. They may not look as you want them to look. But everything takes time, don't use anything to "make things faster" you will do more damage then good and slow the process.
updated by @angel: 07/11/15 09:33:49AM
hippie mama
@hippie-mama
15 years ago
154 posts
see i just want to say that i used the backcombing method and mine worked fine. i know everyone here is against it but at the beginning i even used wax although i never heated the wax and i only used it in the beginning and because i wanted more of the dread look faster. although some say it causes molding and what not i actually cut two of my dreads at the ends where i used the wax {years ago) and i had no build up but like i said i never used it religiously and i never melted it in. i used very little each time. now my sons hair im doing natural and i have noticed that it dreads in simular time some are actually tighter but his has alot of the loose hairs but those will eventually dread in time im sure. now im not telling u to use wax so please no hate mail or comments. lol im just telling u what i did. i mean if u want totally natural and not to use anything in ur hair i would recommend a tam if u dont like the sideshow bob look. beads help the process as well. i actually braided hemp around my hair so that it was like a gigantic bead around the dread. this worked for me but everyone is diffrent. hope i helped
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
faster results are nit better results the damage done isnt worth the couple weeks difference in dreading (if there even ids 1 usualy natural and backcomb dread nearly at the same speed unless like you said, your hairs too short.if you went natural till it reached the proper length it would have dreaded just fine.ive said this before but i'll say it again, before i started checking out "dread sites" online very close to 100% of the dreads i knew were natural, either rastas, or dreads that were born like mine like starthistles and dirty mommas and chevelle trants and many others here just by spending a couple weeks camping in the woods....no effort no pain..and no slower then backcombing Sam Fresh said:
I wouldnt say I did the backcombing because it was "easy" but more becuse it would give faster results, I had neglected them for about 2 months once (when my hair was shorter) while I was traveling and I wouldnt consider them dreads even by then, I will let them do their natural thing now, but at least they are relatively how I want them.

PS the side-show bob comment was hilarious, I wouldnt have thought it but that it basically what I look like. Im just going to have to wear a tuque or something till they look how they should.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Sam Fresh
@sam-fresh
15 years ago
9 posts
I have anothe question that I think I remember reading the answer, but I cant find it so Ill just ask it again, how long should I wait till I wash my hair for the first time? Its been 4 days since ive got them.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
do u feel dirty like u should wasjh em? then wash em wether its day 3 or 7 dont matter if u feel like u should..then do Sam Fresh said:
I have anothe question that I think I remember reading the answer, but I cant find it so Ill just ask it again, how long should I wait till I wash my hair for the first time? Its been 4 days since ive got them.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form