Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Thin dreads, Crocheting?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

oh, and is sea salt is definitely help, just don't overuse it or your hair will get very dried out

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 07/09/15 10:30:38PM
Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
12 years ago
164 posts

Dr. Bronner's is okay for washing but a lot of us use and recommend a baking soda/acv rinse... not at the same time. One tablespoon of baking soda per cup of water, pour onto your hair and rinse thoroughly after letting it sit. One tablespoon of apple cider vinegar [ACV] per cup of water, do the same, but you don't need to let it sit. The baking soda is scrubby and soaks up oils in your hair, and the ACV is a conditioner - but not too silky of one - and it balances the pH levels in your hair/on your scalp and clears residue. We use this instead of shampoo, regular shampoo is not good for your hair. You're on the right track since you're using Dr. Bronner's. :)

I don't have any experience with crochet hooks and hair, just with yarn. ;) I don't recommend it because common sense tells me it will weaken your hair. You could just do the neglect method, which is similar to freeform except you separate your locks instead of letting them do their thing and taking whatever shape they want. Since I don't recommend crochet, I'm going to recommend you become comfortable with loose hairs. They are part of dreadlocks, they are part of the process, they are even part of "normal" hair styles. :) To my understanding you are not going to get thin *and* tight dreads without some sort of intervention like crochet or uhm the other method... interlocking? Not healthy for your hair.

I don't have a ton of knowledge so this is all I can politely offer you but trust me someone will jump on this thread sooner or later. :P

Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
12 years ago
164 posts

Oh yeah and no matter what you wash with, make sure you use tolerably cold water. Warm/hot water opens pores on your scalp up to the oils and that's not good; cold water will keep them closed.

Mel M
@mel-m
12 years ago
8 posts

yeah, I posted recently in the Dread Maintenance section, I TnR my hair last night without hooks or anything like that, Using Dr.bonner bar soap for right now until I get more experienced or find method I like better for cleaning my dreads...Now im just trying to figure out if I need to do anything else or if I can just let them be and only worry about washing them

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

Just let then be That's all

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
taye
@taye
12 years ago
833 posts

and separating them. You want thin dreads. If you don't separate, they can grow together and create great big dreads.

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form