Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

About dreads and crochet hooks

BoomBiddyByeBye
@boombiddybyebye
13 years ago
13 posts
I just don't agree with the tone and the arrogance that comes across with her replies.Its not necessary....
updated by @boombiddybyebye: 07/28/15 06:13:15AM
Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
13 years ago
164 posts

Hm, I could be wrong but I thought one of the rules was, "Don't be an asshole." No...? whoops.

Andrea I'm in agreement with Hans. It's great that you don't over do it and that as far as you know you've got healthy hair, but you also don't want to encourage it too much for those others who want healthy dreads. It's like saying, "It's okay to take crochet once in a while but don't over do it!" and then those who do it once in a while get addicted and mess everything up. Right? You DO pose a significant risk to the health of your hair when you crochet. You could have very healthy hair, or you could have damaged it without knowing it, like so many people have tried to tell you already. You will not know the difference until you stop crocheting. If you don't want to stop, that's okay. Looks to me like those who were responding to you understood what you were talking about, but you didn't understand them. No one is telling you or anyone else what to do. They're advising you and if you can't take it with a grain of salt you probably shouldn't take it at all. Ignore it and be happy with your hair. :/

LOL @ Change~

Kid Ayn Gibran
@kid-ayn-gibran
13 years ago
25 posts

Y'all are just arguing in circles. Boom my man...there is no arrogance in Andrea's replies. Actually if you read through each entry you would notice that you are projecting someone's arrogance onto her. Allow me to explain. This lady Andrea states her opinion and that she enjoys her crocheted dreads, she never asked a question, and immediately she is castigated by a posse of natural dreads. "Crocheting damages your hair...don't do it". "You're an idiot for crocheting". "You don't know what you're talking about". Etc. Why are y'all judging her so harshly? She didn't ask for anybody's advice, nor does it seem as if she wants it, yet everybody seemed to play sensei when no sensei was needed. Isn't the point of dreading allowing you to be you? Yet SOME of the members appear to not understand this. A lot of natural dreads are extremely judgmental, arrogant, and have the narrow-minded mentality "my way is better than your way". There is no right or wrong way to dread. Just like most dreads don't enjoy being judged and labeled as "dirty", "rasta", "caveman", "Marley", or in the case of white people "culture stealing", people who choose a different path to dread don't enjoy being antagonized by you lot. What's funny is that during the earlier stages of my dreading I looked down on anybody with "salon, manicured dreads". Over time this mind frame subsided, but every so often it rears its ugly head like a snake.

Andrea keep doing what makes you happy. Just someone has been dreading forever does not mean they know what is best for you. Unlike someone stated, nobody quite understood what you were saying. In fact they merely said you were wrong and gave second-handed advice to an experience, which they have never experienced. Nobody is telling you what to do; they are simply belittling you for doing what you are doing.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

umm no we are telling her what shes doing is harmful and thats a fact not an opinion she can do it all she wants but it is not cool at all to recomend it to others

we have hundreds here suffering cause nieve lil kids suggested harmful practices to others and they spend months recovering or have to start over

you can do that on youtubve but not here

and its not belittling or arogance its simple practicle good advice

and dont even try to make it a natural dreads are all against me thifg cause 3/4 of the ppl telling her its not god to crochet are ones who started with crochet

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

yea we had some locticians who used to recomend it be done "at least once" in the beginning to tighten them up

these locticians did it ocassionaly for secveral months

well they no longer recomend it at all and swore to never do it again

some just have to learn the hard way

but then theres no going back

once the danmage is done its done

Sara M~ )O( said:

That's what I was saying... she can do it all she wants but she shouldn't suggest it to others. :/

soaring eagle said:

umm no we are telling her what shes doing is harmful and thats a fact not an opinion she can do it all she wants but it is not cool at all to recomend it to others

we have hundreds here suffering cause nieve lil kids suggested harmful practices to others and they spend months recovering or have to start over

you can do that on youtubve but not here

and its not belittling or arogance its simple practicle good advice

and dont even try to make it a natural dreads are all against me thifg cause 3/4 of the ppl telling her its not god to crochet are ones who started with crochet

--
Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
13 years ago
164 posts

Funny Kid Ayn Gibran, because when I crochet my blankets or hats sometimes I snag a ply in the yarn and don't realize it until I see a mistake until I have to undo it and start over. It does damage the work, and I have to work to cover it up or just start over if it's too bad. You are assuming that we have second-hand advice and that's not the case.

Kid Ayn Gibran said:

Y'all are just arguing in circles. Boom my man...there is no arrogance in Andrea's replies. Actually if you read through each entry you would notice that you are projecting someone's arrogance onto her. Allow me to explain. This lady Andrea states her opinion and that she enjoys her crocheted dreads, she never asked a question, and immediately she is castigated by a posse of natural dreads. "Crocheting damages your hair...don't do it". "You're an idiot for crocheting". "You don't know what you're talking about". Etc. Why are y'all judging her so harshly? She didn't ask for anybody's advice, nor does it seem as if she wants it, yet everybody seemed to play sensei when no sensei was needed. Isn't the point of dreading allowing you to be you? Yet SOME of the members appear to not understand this. A lot of natural dreads are extremely judgmental, arrogant, and have the narrow-minded mentality "my way is better than your way". There is no right or wrong way to dread. Just like most dreads don't enjoy being judged and labeled as "dirty", "rasta", "caveman", "Marley", or in the case of white people "culture stealing", people who choose a different path to dread don't enjoy being antagonized by you lot. What's funny is that during the earlier stages of my dreading I looked down on anybody with "salon, manicured dreads". Over time this mind frame subsided, but every so often it rears its ugly head like a snake.

Andrea keep doing what makes you happy. Just someone has been dreading forever does not mean they know what is best for you. Unlike someone stated, nobody quite understood what you were saying. In fact they merely said you were wrong and gave second-handed advice to an experience, which they have never experienced. Nobody is telling you what to do; they are simply belittling you for doing what you are doing.

Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
13 years ago
164 posts

Woops my comment left. Lol. I was making it simple for others. *sigh*

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

what comment left? im confused haha

but i'll make it simple

panterra has been doing hair 30+ years back in the day frosting was accomplished by taking a tube with lil holes in it they then put the hair into the tube and using a very small crochet hook identicle to the type yused to crochet dreads they incert it into the hole and use it to pull small tufts through the holes to be bleached to give that frosted look however it was discovered that even this very gentle use (not thrustring it through a solid dread)

they stopped doing that cause it broke and damaged the hair too much thats why they now do the foil wrap way

hairdressers learned how bad crochet was decades ago

Sara M~ )O( said:

Woops my comment left. Lol. I was making it simple for others. *sigh*

--
Kid Ayn Gibran
@kid-ayn-gibran
13 years ago
25 posts

I could've sworn this was a dread forum. Am I wrong? Now if someone has had success with crocheting their dreads is this not an appropriate place to share their experience? If it's not then there should be a mission statement stating so. Who is to say her advice is bad when it has worked for her and several others. For every person who has had bad luck with crocheting there is another who loves their dreads.

Sara, I never said crocheting was not damaging. If you have not crocheted your HAIR then you are giving second-hand advice. Hair and yarn, though similar, are not the same . If someone wants to crochet then so be it. Let them know the risks, advantages, how to do it, alternatives and leave it at that.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

there uis a mission statemends=t stating exactly that we will never give bad advice we wont descriminate against those who crochet but will alwats recomend they stop

she has e4 months using it no experience not using it so she has no way to tell how bad it is untuill she stops for a year

so no her advice is worthless

you can make the same statement about wax but the fact is there are no good wax stories only ppl who stu[]ill dont realize the harn its done

this is a healtyhy dreads forums

if you want unhealthy waxty rip;ped up damaged dreads there are plenty of places giving bad advice

the reason our site is number 1 is we are the only site that will not give bad adc=vice only good

and thats why ppl appreciate it if we allow bad advice we become as worthless as every other site

and yea yarns thicker and stri=onger then hair

hairs way way easier to break and damage

--

/ 6

Dislike 4

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form