Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Seriously thinking of shaving my hair off.

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts
They are all separated fine. It isn't a matter of congos at all. I can't wrap them because I have tried and the part that needs the wrap (at the end) is hard and round. Imagine trying to wrap a golf ball in hemp...it ain't happening! LOL They also don't need to be cut apart because they aren't too big. I have assorted sizes but they are all clearly seperate. And these bumps are on EVERY dread...about 35.

Electric Mama said:
I say don't shave!! It can take a while because every one's hair is different, I agree with Jeanna, try to separate what you want to fix. There was a time when I was frustrated with mine and my friend did some major dread surgery and separated them all about and sectioned them for me. Wrap them with hemp as tight at you can, that will help with the bumps, you can also wear hats. If EXTREMELY necessary you can even cut them a part. Your hair doesn't make who you are, so never let it get to you like that. Keep your chin up, and let those babies dread!

updated by @panterra-caraway: 07/23/15 04:05:16PM
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts
Heather, I feel for you...we have endured alot you and I. I can't just comb out the problem ones...because it is EVERY dread! Each one of about 35 have this problem. They really look like a cinnamon roll if you saw them in person. The length that is dreaded is round and nice like a dread should be...then here is this flat, but very hard, thick coily cinnamon roll thing! Sleeping on them is a real pain and they pull and cause me irritation. Then my hair is so short that I struggle to put them up or do anything. Not to mention the long "tail" I have of completely undreaded hair behind my left ear....all this short hair with balls and a long hanging tail...real attractive. I talked to my family and they all said that they think it looks good and "unique". I have been a professional for 3 decades, I get paid for my judgement and I think I look horrible. I don't want to shave my head, but this will not just comb out and I really worry that 6 mos. or a year from now I will look pretty much like I do now...only longer. That thought makes me want to vomit.

Heather said:

awwww, panterra. i know exactly how you feel. i've even been considering a drastic cut. you and i have definitely had a hard journey. its really tough seeing all these people with beautiful locks that were formed in a matter of months when you and i have waited so long just to get a few. right now i'm just trying to make it to a year and then i'll go from there. i have a few "knot blobs" i call them that i'm definitely not happy about. i don't think mine are anywhere close to the size of yours though because you have thicker hair. what about combing out the ones your not happy with? maybe t&r some sections for some control amongstthe chaos?

i really don't know what to tell you because i'm pretty much in the same boat you are. all i can do is offer love and support and know that whatever you decide to do we will all be here for you. {{{BIG HUGS}}}

ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
13 years ago
336 posts
Please don't lop it all off. I have an idea. Maybe you could take a razor to the really big lump (which I think is cool, and you look beautiful in your pics, no lies)thin it just enough to be a little bigger than surrounding loc then wrap in in pretty floss-green would be lovely with your color'] ad for the "s" shaped loc, I like that too, but wrapping it with floss would flatten that "s". xo & love to you...be strong...
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
i'm definitely no where close to 35 locks on my head but i have about a dozen established ones. i had one big flat one in the front that was about 3 inches wide on the end from all the zig zaging it had done. it pulled on my scalp and caused so much pain. i hated it. i tried everything to comb it out and it wouldn't budge. i ended up lopping off either side of the zig zag with scissors so it was more in line with the rest of the dread. then i wrapped it in embroidery thread. i figure it will have to remain wrapped forever or it will just fall apart. i do like that lock better now though and i don't have the pain anymore. i'm not sure if that would be an option for you or not. what about waiting it out a little longer and letting your hair grow more and then cut the big ends off when its at a length you can live with?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

panterra u mentioned tyoping yoir hair up had u tied em up alot esopecialy while forming?

i had a freind who would wrap hers in a satin wrap so the roots awere wrapped and the ends stuck out the top

she did this every day

the results were the endfs dreaded in big ol balls like yoirs

the roots never dreaded at all

or if they did it was 1 hugbve dread forming slooowly with the balls ion the ends

these balls could be a result of having been tied uop too much maybe?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts
Thank you <3 I am going to keep this in mind.

ExaltHimx7 said:
Please don't lop it all off. I have an idea. Maybe you could take a razor to the really big lump (which I think is cool, and you look beautiful in your pics, no lies)thin it just enough to be a little bigger than surrounding loc then wrap in in pretty floss-green would be lovely with your color'] ad for the "s" shaped loc, I like that too, but wrapping it with floss would flatten that "s". xo & love to you...be strong...
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts
In the end Heather, I may have to do what you mentioned and cut the bumps off...I don't know.

Heather said:
i'm definitely no where close to 35 locks on my head but i have about a dozen established ones. i had one big flat one in the front that was about 3 inches wide on the end from all the zig zaging it had done. it pulled on my scalp and caused so much pain. i hated it. i tried everything to comb it out and it wouldn't budge. i ended up lopping off either side of the zig zag with scissors so it was more in line with the rest of the dread. then i wrapped it in embroidery thread. i figure it will have to remain wrapped forever or it will just fall apart. i do like that lock better now though and i don't have the pain anymore. i'm not sure if that would be an option for you or not. what about waiting it out a little longer and letting your hair grow more and then cut the big ends off when its at a length you can live with?
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts
I didn't wear my hair up for long. Any time I did it was just to go to the store or some place special...somehing like that. My hair even undreaded is very heavy and it gives me a headache to wear it up too much or for too long. I mostly wore my tam for the first 6-7 months and I wore my hair down and loose while at home. I don't know what to make of this hair of mine...ugh.

soaring eagle said:

panterra u mentioned tyoping yoir hair up had u tied em up alot esopecialy while forming?

i had a freind who would wrap hers in a satin wrap so the roots awere wrapped and the ends stuck out the top

she did this every day

the results were the endfs dreaded in big ol balls like yoirs

the roots never dreaded at all

or if they did it was 1 hugbve dread forming slooowly with the balls ion the ends

these balls could be a result of having been tied uop too much maybe?

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts
You always show up at just the right time don't you? :)

SillyWalkingMinister said:
<3

/ 5

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form