Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Frustrated...

Knotty John
@knotty-john
14 years ago
78 posts
Hmm is it necessary to dilute it? I dilute it but I don't think it's 12 to 1. It's not oily now since I washes it yesterday. I have a beanie, does that work or is that too tight?

soaringeagle said:
u diluting the bronners enough? how longs the hair now is it oilywool hats sea salt help a ton

updated by @knotty-john: 07/10/15 01:46:58AM
Knotty John
@knotty-john
14 years ago
78 posts
Not really I just have the same old coils I've always had. Is it possible that some hair just won't dread?

soaringeagle said:
real curly hair might be easier to feel progress then see it do u feel clumps forming?
Knotty John
@knotty-john
14 years ago
78 posts
I'm thinking of just just doing some t&r some backcombed and the rest keep neglecting to see which are progressing more. I've heard people say that backcombed dreads are weaker and stuff but I've talked to some people here in this forum who went that route and I really like how their locs look.

soaringeagle said:
i would t&r not backcomb! but yea go to the grocery store get some sea saltuse it a week ot 2 and see
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
beanies might be to tightbronners should definately be diluteds 12-1

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Knotty John
@knotty-john
14 years ago
78 posts
What's the downside if it is not diluted properly?

soaringeagle said:
beanies might be to tight bronners should definately be diluteds 12-1
Knotty John
@knotty-john
14 years ago
78 posts
Are there any good tutorials on YouTube on how to properly twist and rip? I'm starting to think that maybe I didn't do it right.

Sister Rags said:
I back-combed at first. It's very disappointing, because the back-combed "dreads" just come right out after a while, but the process of back-combing damages your hair so much that when it does lock eventually, the locks are too tight 'cause the hairs are broken up. T&R, on the other hand, really does work - if you do it right. Took me a long time before I got the hang of t&r...to use very, very thin strands and work slowly & patiently through the process of twisting and ripping.
Knotty John
@knotty-john
14 years ago
78 posts
Well the important thing is that you learned about wax right? After all it is a learning experience even if you learn the hard way.I totally agree with everything you have to say lol. I almost went crazy and was starting to think I was reading my own thoughts = ]I'm just looking to find a way to encourage the knotting to begin. After I'll let nature take over.Thanks for the wonderful rant, it was really helpful!!!

Knottysleeves said:
Hi, dissenting voice here... I'm a fan of backcombing. I've done both my sets that way and am very pleased with how they turned out. (Well, not the first set, but that's because I used wax.)If done gently, slowly, and properly, backcombing is no more damaging than twist & rip. In fact, it does the exact same thing as twist & rip -- it forms tangles and knots and helps your hair stay in sections. The only difference is that you use a comb instead of your fingers.It's NOT true that backcombing = damage and pain. That only happens from pulling and aggressively hacking away with the comb. That's the wrong way to do it, and unfortunately, that's what's shown in most of the popular videos and instructions around the net.I think most of backcombing's bad rep comes from (1) doing it too aggressively, and (2) unreasonable expectations. Backcombing is like any other starting method -- it's just a START. It doesn't give you dreads overnight, and yes, a lot of the backcombing will probably unravel over the next few weeks. But you get that with twist & rip too, as the hair shifts around and learns to knot up & stay in sections.It doesn't help that DHHQ and Knottyboy promote backcombing as the best way to "make" dreads, and say that doing so plus using their wax will "give you awesome-looking dreads from Day 1". It's a terrible message and gives people the idea that backcombed dreads will stay tight and knotted from Day 1, which is completely false. That's why so many newbies freak out about backcombed dreads coming unravelled and "not staying together".Sorry for the rant. :-)There's nothing wrong with giving backcombing a shot. Like you said, you could try it on a few sections and see how they progress over the next few weeks. Sometimes hair just needs a little encouragement to start dreading. No shame in that.
Knotty John
@knotty-john
14 years ago
78 posts
Yea I'm definately staying away from wax lol. Do you remember how long your hair was right before backcombing?

ricky williams said:
I agree i backcombed mine and they feel good and tight i took a bit of work and some hours going at it but they feel pretty good right now:D(glad i didn't buy the jar of wax i was offered) If you are gonna do it go slow but if you form your dreads through hybrid methods that will be interesting
Knotty John
@knotty-john
14 years ago
78 posts
If you don't mind me asking, how long was your hair up until you decided to backcomb it? Also what type of hair do you have?Thanks in advance!

Chewin Change said:
Knottysleeves said:
Hi, dissenting voice here... I'm a fan of backcombing. I've done both my sets that way and am very pleased with how they turned out. (Well, not the first set, but that's because I used wax.)
If done gently, slowly, and properly, backcombing is no more damaging than twist & rip. In fact, it does the exact same thing as twist & rip -- it forms tangles and knots and helps your hair stay in sections. The only difference is that you use a comb instead of your fingers. It's NOT true that backcombing = damage and pain. That only happens from pulling and aggressively hacking away with the comb. That's the wrong way to do it, and unfortunately, that's what's shown in most of the popular videos and instructions around the net.I think most of backcombing's bad rep comes from (1) doing it too aggressively, and (2) unreasonable expectations. Backcombing is like any other starting method -- it's just a START. It doesn't give you dreads overnight, and yes, a lot of the backcombing will probably unravel over the next few weeks. But you get that with twist & rip too, as the hair shifts around and learns to knot up & stay in sections.It doesn't help that DHHQ and Knottyboy promote backcombing as the best way to "make" dreads, and say that doing so plus using their wax will "give you awesome-looking dreads from Day 1". It's a terrible message and gives people the idea that backcombed dreads will stay tight and knotted from Day 1, which is completely false. That's why so many newbies freak out about backcombed dreads coming unravelled and "not staying together".Sorry for the rant. :-)There's nothing wrong with giving backcombing a shot. Like you said, you could try it on a few sections and see how they progress over the next few weeks. Sometimes hair just needs a little encouragement to start dreading. No shame in that.
Agreed I just like the way backcombing looks to start with..My backcombed dreads are slightly coming undone but that's part of the process.. they'll unravel, then lock, unravel, then lock...To those lookin to backcomb, do it right and do them nice and tight cause they'll inevitably loosen up.Only reason I chose backcombing is cause my hair wasn't long enough to t&r and honestly they're more symmetrical /w backcombing. They're soft and fuzzy and yeah you can see knots but not BULGES of knots as with t&r.I guess it depends on the look you're goin for in the first few months of your dreadies... That's the way I see it.Sure backcombing will come undone but that gives my hair a little more room to work with when it starts to lock back up again.It's whatever though, I'm kinda relieved to know my hair is gonna do the locking on its own and that it'll unravel before that happens... That way I know I didn't 100% manufacture my dreads
Knotty John
@knotty-john
14 years ago
78 posts
Ok thanks.Nice dreads btw.

ricky williams said:
yeah a lil bit longer than this right now Knotty John said:
Yea I'm definately staying away from wax lol. Do you remember how long your hair was right before backcombing?

ricky williams said:
I agree i backcombed mine and they feel good and tight i took a bit of work and some hours going at it but they feel pretty good right now:D(glad i didn't buy the jar of wax i was offered) If you are gonna do it go slow but if you form your dreads through hybrid methods that will be interesting

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form