Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Frustrated...

Knotty John
@knotty-john
14 years ago
78 posts
That is an amazing and awesome idea lol. I could totally watch a vid on how to properly backcomb. Either way the info you game me was incredible, thanks again!!

Sister Rags said:
Okay, yes - I agree, and Knottys & I have discussed back-combing before and I definitely learned from you, Knottys, that gentle b-c'ing is very different from harsh, aggressive back-combing (what used to be called "teasing"). When I did b-c'ing a couple of years ago (when first starting my dreads) I did it vigorously, according to...ta-da....the way a Knotty Boy stylist (form their salon) showed b-c'ing on a video.Knots, that wasn't a "rant" - you've given some excellent info. In fact YOU should do a video on the proper way to back-comb...seriously, you should.I think the key word is still patience. Patient t&r (non-aggressive) and patient b-c'ing (not vigorous).

updated by @knotty-john: 07/19/15 03:35:29AM
Bella Liston
@bella-liston
14 years ago
11 posts
Knotty John said:
Yup that was the original plan but I don't see any progress to be honest. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong. I'm not sure how to answer the second question, but if you mean by when was the last time I used a comb that would be about 9 years ago. But I've always had my hair short so that's why I've never had any locs in that time. All I have been washing with for the past 5 months is dr. Bronner's liquid soap with Rosemary and tea tree oils. I attempted t and r once before on a couple of dreads but they just came undone when I showered.

Jake Holland said:
So are you starting off with the natural/neglect method right now? How long have you been doing it? Are you washing with the right stuff (non-residue)? Patience goes a long way. If your doing the natural way right now and you want to jump start it I would suggest TnR over backcombing.
Bella Liston
@bella-liston
14 years ago
11 posts
I did the back combing method before I found this site. I haven't really lost much length on my hair but I don't think I back combed them very tight. I didn't use any product and they are dreading up pretty well.My biggest challenge has been finding a good shampoo. I tried Bronner's but it left a major residue behind. I also did baking soda which works really well but irritated my very sensitive skin. I started using shampoo from the health food store specifically Natures Gate brand and I've also tried Burt's Bees baby shampoo (the clear one). These shampoos work well but make my hair really soft so, every 2 washes I use a dish soap from the health food store that is all natural and wash my end with it. I don't get it on may scalp but it does a really good job deep cleaning the dreads, and removing any natural oils, it has helped them start to tighten up.
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
Thrift stores are great ways to get wools at great prices. Why pay 150 for a sweater when you can buy it for 5 bucks. Hats a buck or two, small scarves are great for hair bands.
Bella Liston
@bella-liston
14 years ago
11 posts
I was using about a tablespoon per cup of water. It made my skin really itchy. But only in the places it came in direct contact with the skin.I was going to try the dipping and soaking method and just try to keep it on the dreads without it coming in contact with my skin. I haven't gotten around to it though.... And I'd still need to was my scalp.

Sister Rags said:
Wow, that's a good video. She demonstrates the b-c'ing well...so, doing it very slowly & turning the strand of hair as you work with it...oh, that is SO different from what DHHQ and Knotty Boy tell people to do!!!! I feel really angry at them when I watch a GOOD demonstration, not one of their "insta-dread" rip your hair to hell deals.Bella, did you use only a bit of baking soda to plenty of water?
SpacemanTravis
@spacemantravis
14 years ago
127 posts
true that thats wut im going with TnR bro

/ 4
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form