Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Advice needed!!

Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
Tell your parents that you aren't comfortable using products with so many chemicals in them and that paraben, aluminum and parfum are found in 18 out of 20 cancer tumors and you want no part in it.Okay I know you weren't asking about that but it popped into my head (probably because I got rid of all my chemicals today, again).
updated by @island-mamma: 07/18/15 02:48:05PM
sadangel777
@sadangel777
14 years ago
68 posts
Hiyas!Being someone who was in a situation like yours where my family/husband weren't happy with the idea of me starting dreads at ALL, I decided to give myself 1 dread. So I have some experience with keeping the rest of my hair "normal".I tried to twist n' rip it and it worked at first, but after a little while it started to come undone (except for one small knot about an inch or two from my root). I stopped using conditioner and was careful not to brush the dread. I also made myself a very small peyote band to slide onto it to keep it separate from the rest of my hair.When it started to come out and turn back into "normal" hair, I gave up and asked my friend to fix it. She did a gentle backcomb on it and wrapped it in hemp. I left the hemp wrap on for a couple of weeks, and when I unwrapped it there was a perfect little dread! Of course, I loved him so much that I finally took the plunge and decided to do my whole head. I'm doing it the natural way in order to give myself and others time to adjust. It wasn't easy, still isn't - but my mom actually told me she thinks they'd look okay as long as they're kept neat! If you knew my mom and how obsessive she is about keeping hair brushed constantly you'd know that this is a huge leap forward (especially considering she told me she'd stop visiting me if I got dreads).Your decision about whether to dread is yours, and I know that living with your parents makes it that much harder if they are opposed to the idea. Whatever you decide is for the best! Let me know if you want a couple of small peyote sleeves; you don't have to buy them, I'd be more than happy to make them for you because you really have to keep the dreads separate from the rest of your hair. And peyote sleeves are cool!Good luck and keep us posted!!!
celestine✿۞
@celestine
14 years ago
80 posts
haha..i apreciate your advice !!and for you can never get that too adamant :)!i am more than happy to hear this and it is good to know more about it!but dont worry at all, cause i d rather not have any dreads at all rather than having them by the felting-needle method;) Sister Rags said:
Sure your hair will dread. Bead(s) are a great idea for your hair type, I think.

I'm so sorry about your folks giving you hassles. *sigh* Every time I hear of that, I feel sad for the parents and for their kid.

I agree, too, about the stop using conditioner. I understand that you want only 2 dreads at this point....but, gosh, if you stop using conditioner now, by the time you head off to college your dreads will be forming nicely.... ; )

Oh - and I know you read my experience with the felting needle, but I'll say it again...please don't even be tempted to use that method. It absolutely SUCKS, does not make good dreads, and definitely kills your hair so it breaks right off (as you know...sorry to be so adamant. I just would hate to see anyone go through what I went through with the felting).
celestine✿۞
@celestine
14 years ago
80 posts
yeah i totally agree with what you suggested, but the thing they are just clueless and wont hear anything that has to do with dreads at all...trust my i ve tried to talk to them more than i thousand times about having dreads for the last three years or something...but they just wont listen..that s why this is like my last resort or something at this point..:/ Island Mamma said:
Tell your parents that you aren't comfortable using products with so many chemicals in them and that paraben, aluminum and parfum are found in 18 out of 20 cancer tumors and you want no part in it.
Okay I know you weren't asking about that but it popped into my head (probably because I got rid of all my chemicals today, again).
celestine✿۞
@celestine
14 years ago
80 posts
thank you so much dearest Bonnie!!it does mean a lot me to hear all this advice from you:)i honestly feel the need to have these two little ones for soooo long, i believe you know how it feels...and the situation with my mum is pretty much the same..she is just psycotic, if you know what i mean..and not in a good way, if your getting me..anyway, it is so nice of you to be willing to send me peyotes that you make!!!!honestly, i am so happy to hear that:)but i live in greece and i think it woulb be a bit difficult..:/and as soon as i stat having them, be sure i ll let you know;) Bonnie Hazen said:
Hiyas!

Being someone who was in a situation like yours where my family/husband weren't happy with the idea of me starting dreads at ALL, I decided to give myself 1 dread. So I have some experience with keeping the rest of my hair "normal".

I tried to twist n' rip it and it worked at first, but after a little while it started to come undone (except for one small knot about an inch or two from my root). I stopped using conditioner and was careful not to brush the dread. I also made myself a very small peyote band to slide onto it to keep it separate from the rest of my hair.

When it started to come out and turn back into "normal" hair, I gave up and asked my friend to fix it. She did a gentle backcomb on it and wrapped it in hemp. I left the hemp wrap on for a couple of weeks, and when I unwrapped it there was a perfect little dread! Of course, I loved him so much that I finally took the plunge and decided to do my whole head. I'm doing it the natural way in order to give myself and others time to adjust. It wasn't easy, still isn't - but my mom actually told me she thinks they'd look okay as long as they're kept neat! If you knew my mom and how obsessive she is about keeping hair brushed constantly you'd know that this is a huge leap forward (especially considering she told me she'd stop visiting me if I got dreads).

Your decision about whether to dread is yours, and I know that living with your parents makes it that much harder if they are opposed to the idea. Whatever you decide is for the best! Let me know if you want a couple of small peyote sleeves; you don't have to buy them, I'd be more than happy to make them for you because you really have to keep the dreads separate from the rest of your hair. And peyote sleeves are cool!

Good luck and keep us posted!!!
sadangel777
@sadangel777
14 years ago
68 posts
Hehe no prob...I've had stuff shipped here from Japan so I doubt it would be that difficult to send a small envelope over...let me know ok! marie-felicite said:
thank you so much dearest Bonnie!!
it does mean a lot me to hear all this advice from you:)
i honestly feel the need to have these two little ones for soooo long, i believe you know how it feels...and the situation with my mum is pretty much the same..she is just psycotic, if you know what i mean..and not in a good way, if your getting me..

anyway, it is so nice of you to be willing to send me peyotes that you make!!!!
honestly, i am so happy to hear that:)but i live in greece and i think it woulb be a bit difficult..:/

and as soon as i stat having them, be sure i ll let you know;)
Pamella
@pamella
14 years ago
31 posts
Momma..I have straight hair and it dreads with no problem...If its in your heart to do it just do it :)
celestine✿۞
@celestine
14 years ago
80 posts
:) Pamella said:
Momma..I have straight hair and it dreads with no problem...If its in your heart to do it just do it :)
DreddieFreddy
@dreddiefreddy
14 years ago
30 posts
All hair dreads, its just a matter of time. Your hair will just take longer than someone with nappy hair like mine. So if your really patient i would go with the natural method
Cassie Sattler
@cassie-sattler
14 years ago
42 posts
i am rebellious my parens hated the fact i got dreads. and they still comment on how they are ugly and i was pretty with normal hair. but i dont care.. they love me and i love them it all works. as far as having a few dreads i tried that and i kept having to pick hair out and keep the dread separated from my hair like the dreads got in trouble or something.. id start with going natural it will take long enough by then youll prolly be out of your parents

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form