Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

having no luck with dreads

pokolo
@pokolo
14 years ago
59 posts
so just wanna make sure i got everything down before i do thisi should wash my hair with 1 tablespoon baking soda & a cup of water mixthen rinse with 1 tablespoon acv & a cup of water?and do this just 2-3 times a week?so when i'm in the shower all those other days i just let my hair get wet but don't put anything in it right?and is there anything i need to know about drying my hair? should i not use a towel on it or anything?
updated by @pokolo: 07/13/15 12:11:09PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
why get it wet when its tdreaded will take extra long to dry so wouldnt wetr it daily at ally or blow dry\and u can drip dry towel dru pokolo said:
so just wanna make sure i got everything down before i do this
i should wash my hair with 1 tablespoon baking soda & a cup of water mix
then rinse with 1 tablespoon acv & a cup of water?

and do this just 2-3 times a week?
so when i'm in the shower all those other days i just let my hair get wet but don't put anything in it right?

and is there anything i need to know about drying my hair? should i not use a towel on it or anything?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ryan Emmel
@ryan-emmel
14 years ago
85 posts
Hey pokolo,I suggest going to Costco and picking up one of those big 13.5lb bags of baking soda and EXPERIMENT.When I started I used this to de-gunk.Now I'm using a scoop of baking soda and a half a pot (maybe 3 gallons) of hot water, and slowly pouring it over my head. I do that about 4 times a week. About twice a week, before my baking soda rinse, I use Kirk's , which makes my dreads tighten like crazy.I rarely use the Apple Cider Vinegar because my girlfriend continues to smell it the next day. In the shower, in my hair, etc. I will use it if I'm feeling crusty, though.I have tried putting dry baking soda in my hair first, then slowly rinsing it out. That worked okay, but wasn't as nice as pouring a hot bucket of water on my head.Good luck. Don't give up. And keep your fingers together when you wash (like a shovel, not a rake)."It's not a matter of luck, it's just a matter of time."
Ryan Emmel
@ryan-emmel
14 years ago
85 posts
Hey sista,I think the kirks works because it strips my hair. I guess its kind of astringent. It does leave some residue, so I don't use it unless I'm going to do a baking soda rinse right afterward.
Ryan Emmel
@ryan-emmel
14 years ago
85 posts
Oh, about drying your dreads--make sure your towel doesn't shed. Or if it does, that the towel is the same color as your hair. I have some white fuzz permanently imbedded in my hair...
Marco Esquandolas
@marco-esquandolas
14 years ago
15 posts
I'm about 3 months along, but my hair is a bit longer. I use about 1/2c baking soda in about 3/4g of water, poured over my head, and a weak acv wash. No scrubbing, no running of fingers. I only get my hair wet when I wash, which ends up to be about every 4-5 days.As far as drying, I try to ring it out with a towel real good, then maybe let it stay on my head for 10 mins or so. Dries on its own after that.Basically I try to fuss with it the least amount possible, especially when its wet.
TaMMiKiNS
@tammikins
14 years ago
22 posts
I'm a month and 19 days in (50 days) and here's what I do.Wash- I use 1 cup of baking soda10 drops of Tea Tree Oil20 drops of Lavender Oil20 drops of Rosemary Oil1/2 gallon hot water, mix this all up in a pitcher and pour it over my scalp and locks in the shower. Leave it on for about 10-15 minutes and then rinse it out really well.Rinse- I use 10 drops of Tea Tree Oil20 drops of Lavender Oil20 drops of Rosemary Oil2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar1 tbsp Cocoa Butter Oil1/2 gallon hot water, mix this all up in a pitcher and pour it over my scalp and locks in the shower. Leave it on for 3-5 minutes and rinse it out REALLY well with warm water. I usually rub my scalp and locks with my palms while I'm rinsing with the clear warm water, just to make sure it's all rinsed clean. The oils do wonderful things for your locks and your scalp (and everyone says that my house and my hair smell amazing!), but if you don't rinse well enough, you'll look like a grease ball when your hair dries.Drying- to dry my locks, I just flip my head over and rub my scalp and roots with a towel and then squeeze my locks to get as much water out as possible. Then, separate the locks and sections from each other and roll very lightly, once or twice just to neaten things up a bit. My hair dries pretty quickly on it's own but on cold or humid days a blow dryer is a good thing to keep around... the last thing you want is a head full of moldy and mildewy dreads..I wash my locks this way 2-3 times a week. On the days that I don't wash, I do still get them wet in the shower. I'll usually just let the water run over my head and rub my scalp a little to freshen up some. Warm water is a better cleaner than nothing at all...Wearing a wool tam is also a good thing. The static in the tam will help your hair knot up and lock quicker. Lots of people wear tams to sleep in or even for all day use. They can be big time useful on days when your locks are being rebellious and you can't or don't want to make yourself look "presentable"... Everyone knows we all have those funky days.That's all it takes. Really. I used Knotty Boy dread shampoo for the first couple weeks, but for real man, the baking soda wash is so much better. It feels like magic on your head. Do the wash, separate any sections and dread babies you see forming and then do nothing. Just let go. If you let it, your hair will amaze you with the things it will do.((Tea tree oil, cocoa butter oil, baking soda and apple cider vinegar are available at any local super market. For the Rosemary and Lavender oils, I went to GNC. The oils may seem a bit pricey ($7-$10 each), but those bottles will last for months and months.))
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
skip the cocoa till the dreads are formed and tight its a great conditioner but will slow things till formedi sometimes use lil olive ouil instead and my dreads are so incredibly soft and cuddly

--
pokolo
@pokolo
14 years ago
59 posts
so this is what my hair looks like after a few days of neglect and the bakingsoda/acv wash

is it looking right?
updated by @pokolo: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
excellent progress for just a few days!

--

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags