Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Crochet method

Lynn Barlen
@lynn-barlen
14 years ago
4 posts

Hello everyone, new here. I started dreads on my own and then found a really cool dreadlocking salon nearby so I went there to see what they would suggest doing. They used the crochet method on *all* of my dreads from root to tip.
I am looking for suggestions on how to help my ' dreadlocks ' actually look like dreads. They are so thin and odd looking right now, but super tight. You can see my scalp a lot which I dislike, especially because suddenly I have a bit of dandruff :( So basically I am wearing hats all the time. I probably am washing a bit more than I should but it doesn't seem to be doing any harm. I'm palm rolling constantly.

Sorry, probably really newbie questions but any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am a bit frustrated and while I know I would regret not trying this, right now my previous easy hair seems kind of nice!

updated by @lynn-barlen: 02/14/15 11:23:53AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
stop palm rolling and crocheting both are harmful especialy crochetwash with the baking soda/acv comboand ten do noting especialy never go to a salons dreads are natural salons are notthey screwed u

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
dreadfully odd
@dreadfully-odd
14 years ago
11 posts
oow sad to hear this....dreads should be easy and stress free, as SE says stop doing anything, give 'em some rest, dont wash 'em too much-swim in the ocean or river(oh wait, what time of year is it with you?) wear a hat and give 'em time...
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
those who "make" dreads tink dreads need work so they do lots of extrra unesacary stuff to te dreadsthose wo "grow" dreads know you dont need to do a thing so just sit back and enjoy te ridebut you can make dreads to start then learn to let go and not constantly force your hair to do what nature will do for you

--
Lynn Barlen
@lynn-barlen
14 years ago
4 posts
Oh man, I should have come here first it sounds like. I like having my hair look tidy but I really don't like the feeling and look of the crocheted hair...I definitely won't do it morethey also put a thread at the root of each dread - should I remove those? I don't want the individual dreads to attach to each other.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
yes remove the thread before they get swallowedif yuou dont want tem tyo combine juset rip em often (seperate pull 1 dread away from anoter breakingt any connecting hairs)you didnt use wax did you?accept some messiness cause trying to keep em too tidy will only mean tey get cut sooner ..or break..or rot..dreads sould have uniqueness..individualitry..tey souldnt be too perfect to be boring and witout individualioty

--
dreadfully odd
@dreadfully-odd
14 years ago
11 posts
cant help you there with the thread in or out, ive never heard of this 'crochet' method thingummybobs, post some pics up....
Lynn Barlen
@lynn-barlen
14 years ago
4 posts
Thanks guys...no I didn't use wax, I couldn't anyway because I'm vegan. Okay so I will take out the threads and just let them relax. I will also try very hard not to make them tidy :P
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
crocet uses a crocet hookits thrust thhroug te dreaD to grab a loose hair on other side and pull it trough, this breaks many hairs inside te drewad tat ten can come out needimng to be crocheted back in..over and overoften crocetters will continue crocetting up to 15 hoiurs a week every week for many years, doing massive damage.it creates a woven, not dreaded look and feel so just to maintain consistency you cant stop once you do it too muchit also causes an extreme tigtness tat makes tem very skiny with baldness at te scalp around dreewads since no hairs escape to cover te scalp..it makes dreads look fake too(no offence) dreadfully odd said:
cant help you there with the thread in or out, ive never heard of this 'crochet' method thingummybobs, post some pics up....

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
u can use aloe to tidy up as neededand very glad u didnt use wax that would be harder to recover frompost pics Lynn Barlen said:
Thanks guys...no I didn't use wax, I couldn't anyway because I'm vegan. Okay so I will take out the threads and just let them relax. I will also try very hard not to make them tidy :P

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form