Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Is this shampoo is ok for my new dreads??

Tia
@tia
11 years ago
24 posts

If there is any regular shampoo that is non residue, you can use that as well. I have a reaction to BS, so I can't use it so I just use Tresemme Deep Cleansing and it has worked great for me. No build up, no residue, just nice and clean. I know there are a few other shampoos out there that do the same, but I only have experience with this one.

updated by @tia: 07/23/15 03:19:39PM
KnotLady
@knotlady
11 years ago
300 posts

probably would be good to getan anti residue/clarifying shampoo just to be sure its not leaving something behind. the problem with those shampoos are the chemicals. theres some pretty bad stuff in there. other peoplehere could give you the run down on it better though

Tia said:

If there is any regular shampoo that is non residue, you can use that as well. I have a reaction to BS, so I can't use it so I just use Tresemme Deep Cleansing and it has worked great for me. No build up, no residue, just nice and clean. I know there are a few other shampoos out there that do the same, but I only have experience with this one.

Heather
@heather
11 years ago
1,291 posts

it could be that the corn, coconut, and sugar ingredients are actually decyl glucoside (natural corn oil & natural plant sugar) & lauryl glucoside ( natural coconut oil & natural plant sugar) both of which are in vicki's locking up liquid shampoo.

Baba Fats said:

Corn sugar is High Fructose Corn Syrup, so it's not actually all natural. Companies have been pressing for HFCS to be changed to corn sugar, on packaging, because of the bad rap that the name has with it.

Aloe Vera is too conditioning, andGlycerinwill condition your hair too. If you have african textured hair, both are ok. But if not, stay away from them in shampoo.

The BS wash is great. I'm not sure where in Europe you are, but they may call it Bread Soda around you. It's NOT the same as baking powder.

Why can't you get the soaps from dreadlockshampoo? They ship overseas. If you by 5-6 bars at a time, the shipping is the same as for 1 bar. Then you don't have to buy it over and over

Heather
@heather
11 years ago
1,291 posts

there's a shampoo company called bentley organics and they're based in the uk. you might see if you can order from them or if they carry the products in your local stores. the tea tree one in the green bottle and the citrus one in the orange bottle work quite well on dreadlocks.

the shampoo you listed looks good too but with the aloe being so close to the top of the ingredient list i would be worried it would be too conditioning unless your dreads are mature.

beckbeck
@beckbeck
11 years ago
32 posts

coconut oil conditions hair, probably not great. go have a look at some pure castile soap bars, or make them yourself! the only ingredients in those are Lye and Olive oil. they're pretty much super mild, super pure soap. (when people say Dr bronners, they are talking about a big brand manufacturer of castile soap, so if they have that where you are, thatmightmake your search easier). I am in Australia so Can't get dreadlcokshampoo.com either unless I want to pay $30 per bar for some soap. to me, that defies the whole concept of dreadlocks. you may find some dreadlock shampoos in your area, if you do, just post the ingredients on hereandsomeonewill help you! but I use plain castile soap and find it works great (my scalp took about a week and a half to adjust,so I had oily hair for a short while but now it's all fine and works a teat :)

jokubas bauza
@jokubas-bauza
11 years ago
26 posts

I think if i will use castle soap bar, the pure soap, i will have even more dandruffs....pure soap is very bad for scalp because if you wount wash it exelent, it will dry scalp so much, and how i can wash it very good if i cant rub my scalp..well, idk, it so much troubles with my dreads..

beckbeck said:

coconut oil conditions hair, probably not great. go have a look at some pure castile soap bars, or make them yourself! the only ingredients in those are Lye and Olive oil. they're pretty much super mild, super pure soap. (when people say Dr bronners, they are talking about a big brand manufacturer of castile soap, so if they have that where you are, thatmightmake your search easier). I am in Australia so Can't get dreadlcokshampoo.com either unless I want to pay $30 per bar for some soap. to me, that defies the whole concept of dreadlocks. you may find some dreadlock shampoos in your area, if you do, just post the ingredients on hereandsomeonewill help you! but I use plain castile soap and find it works great (my scalp took about a week and a half to adjust,so I had oily hair for a short while but now it's all fine and works a teat :)

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Purecastilesoaps are NEVER meant to to be used in 100% concentration. That would definitely damage your hair and scalp. Dr. Bronners is meant to be diluted anywhere from 1 part soap-12 parts water, up to 1 part soap-40 parts water

Pete
@pete
11 years ago
67 posts

I bought to finland, took 4 days to get, i ordered 3 bars, and i payed only like 33 euros . loal

beckbeck
@beckbeck
11 years ago
32 posts

Oh sorry i should have elaborated- I do dilute the soap- and the beauty of castile soap is it's not harsh like regular soaps. it's pure and has no chemical cleansers which dry out skin. give some a go, even just in your skin, I stared using it on my skin before I had dreads, and loved it because i didn't have dry skin after like normal soap. whatever you use, you need to use it regularly and exclusively for a week or two before you decide, as your scalp needs to adjust to it. you could have oily hair for the first week and a half but then you scalp adjusts and then works well. if it doesn't adjust, then you need to try something else. try a few things, different things work fordifferenthair types- I think everyone on this site willbeable to give you the main pointers- stay away from harsh chemicals found in most normal shampoos and soaps, and try not to use conditioners! :)
good luck xx
jokubas bauza said:

I think if i will use castle soap bar, the pure soap, i will have even more dandruffs....pure soap is very bad for scalp because if you wount wash it exelent, it will dry scalp so much, and how i can wash it very good if i cant rub my scalp..well, idk, it so much troubles with my dreads..

beckbeck said:

jokubas bauza
@jokubas-bauza
11 years ago
26 posts

I found dr. bronners soap bars and liquid soap to buy in my country!! So what should i buy? i would be better with liquid soap or soap bars? Also, if i have itchy scalp with dandruff, what soap is best for me? Some one sayd before tea tree and rosmery are best for dandruff and ithy scalp, but maybe there is something better??
Baba Fats said:

Purecastilesoaps are NEVER meant to to be used in 100% concentration. That would definitely damage your hair and scalp. Dr. Bronners is meant to be diluted anywhere from 1 part soap-12 parts water, up to 1 part soap-40 parts water

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form