Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

how long do i have to wait to use the crochet hook

shay
@shay
12 years ago
12 posts

ok so i started my dread process with the 2 strand twist and i wanted to know how long do i have to wait to use the crochet hook to lock them?

updated by @shay: 02/14/15 11:23:59AM
Hazanko
@hazanko
12 years ago
27 posts

Never!

Unless you're OK with having dreads that are itchy, and are weak with a good possibility they will start to break apart after awhile, then don't crochet. If you're OK with heavily damaging your hair to accomplish something that can happen naturally, then by all means crochet.

Just don't think you need to, or even SHOULD crochet them, dreadlocks will happen all by themselves without intervention from a crochet hook. Most ''dreadlocks companies'' like knottyboy and DHHQ(or w/e the acronym is lol), trick you into thinking you need all their products, and then those products you use force you to buy even more product to keep them ''maintained'', when the maintenance requirement is CREATED by using their products in the first place.

shay
@shay
12 years ago
12 posts

ok thank you...but i heard all types of things about using the crochet hook...i heard it was good to start them and i also heard it was bad because of the damage it could do to your head....the dreads begin to get thin and it could cause major damage

shay
@shay
12 years ago
12 posts

so what would you recommend me using to maintain them and everything because i am already natural

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

if you read anything around this site about crochet it's all people recovering from the damage it's done. i recommend never starting.

all you need to do to maintain locks is wash

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/page/washing-dreadlocks-guide

& separate

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/page/ripping-popping-seperating

& if you need them to look a little more "neat" for a specialoccasionor something use aloe or the locking gel from http://shop.dreadlockshampoo.com/ to tame the frizzies

shay said:

so what would you recommend me using to maintain them and everything because i am already natural

shay
@shay
12 years ago
12 posts

ok cool thank you...what types of gel or aloe so i can go out and get them

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

aloe just straight aloe no added anything. straight from the plant works perfect.

the gel is at the shampoo link i posted.

shay said:

ok cool thank you...what types of gel or aloe so i can go out and get them

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

definately never use a cri=ochet hook on dreas not only does it cause extreme damage but delays progress by 6 months or more

its a horible thing to do to dreads

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
shay
@shay
12 years ago
12 posts

thanks soaring eagle...i def wont be doing that

shay
@shay
12 years ago
12 posts