Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

is this supposed to happen?

brandis moody
@brandis-moody
12 years ago
10 posts

I think SE might be right about the heard water. When I'm living in my college dorms (very hard water) the roots of mine act like how your saying yours do.When I go home they seem to tighten up, and we have an awesome water filter!

updated by @brandis-moody: 07/09/15 07:18:41AM
Castaway J
@castaway-j
12 years ago
585 posts

would the hard water cause my bronners body soap to leave residue all on my bath tub? i think thats what the problem is :/

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

it could. Hard water doesn't rinse Dr. B's off of anything well

Andres2
@andres2
12 years ago
70 posts

wow heater we are going through the same thing, I'm actually fearing the same thing about my dreads. But like baba said, it will know up eventually. Those inches are making thing one of my dreads are unforming. it could be my imagination.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

It sort of is and isn't. They could be loosening up a little at the root, but it happens. Mine are mature to the point where they'll never come out. And the roots still happen to feel loose once in a while, but if you forget about them for a few weeks or so they'll feel tighter the next time you touch them.

It could also be that your hair is always growing and as it grow in it creates straight hair by the root. So i'll feel like they are coming undone, but really they are just growing. My locks grew super fast once they matured, so if yours are anything like mine, it'll seem like the roots are loosening, but take a look at how long they were a month or 2 ago and you'll notice that it's really just new growth that hasn't locked up yet

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

if the hard water is the cause i wonder if hardeness can fluctuate with drought or rainfall and seasonal water table changes

u might even notice a patern if very observantthat after heavy rains yiur more dreaded and when it hasnt rained in minths your not ..but wgho knows

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
hippiegal
@hippiegal
12 years ago
182 posts

Could you post close-up pic of your hair, showing a root area?The thought that came when I read your post was that your hair is having a growing spurt, faster than it can knot up. Surely it'll balance out.

My hair is also very soft at the roots but does knot once it gets to about an inch. I'd rather have it soft rather than hard and I gave up on sea salt because it made my hair brittle, even if it slows things down.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Sea salt is good for your hair in moderation, but if you have problems with brittleness, then good for you. People seem to have this idea that locks should happen over night (not you, but some people). Glad to hear that you accept that they take time and are willing to be patient

hippiegal
@hippiegal
12 years ago
182 posts

You know, I have to keep reminding people my dreads are a work-in-progress. We live in a culture of instant-everything. And of processed perfection - everything straight and neat and manufactured-looking. Organic isn't just about pesticide-free veggies - it's a much broader value. Sorry Heather - this is getting off-topic.

Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

that could be what it is. i do notice quite a bit of root balls so maybe its new growth coming in. my hair has shrunk up quite a bit lately but has basically been long the entire journey so maybe its growing faster than its dreading. i just don't want to find out it was something i was doing and could have prevented it.

Baba Fats said:

It sort of is and isn't. They could be loosening up a little at the root, but it happens. Mine are mature to the point where they'll never come out. And the roots still happen to feel loose once in a while, but if you forget about them for a few weeks or so they'll feel tighter the next time you touch them.

It could also be that your hair is always growing and as it grow in it creates straight hair by the root. So i'll feel like they are coming undone, but really they are just growing. My locks grew super fast once they matured, so if yours are anything like mine, it'll seem like the roots are loosening, but take a look at how long they were a month or 2 ago and you'll notice that it's really just new growth that hasn't locked up yet

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form