Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

is this supposed to happen?

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I'd say give it a month or so. By then you should have another 1/2 inch, or so, of new hair. In that time, what is loose should start to mat. If you have 3 inches of straight hair now, if it doesn't mat you'll have around 4 inches. If in a month you still have 3 inches, or even less, then it's taking care of itself. if you have more than 3 inches, and it isn't showing any signs of matting, and is really bugging you, you could get some yarn or hemp or whatnot, and wrap a few of the roots. Or get a few beads and put them closer to your scalp.

I'd give it at least a month and see if there's any progress though, before you do anything to try and help them along. No need to worry about it right now. don't mess with them either. If you keep fingering them and poking at them, they will take longer to tangle and mat themselves.

updated by @baba-fats: 07/15/15 12:50:17AM
Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

okay, so here's a picture of one of the dreads. my fingers are at the point of where the unknotted hair starts.

Here's a picture of the dread next to it. there's only about an inch of loose hair. the one in the first picture used to be the same way. i know i might sound stupid here worrying about this. i'm sure its all normal but its taken so long to get to this point and the back of my head has another 10 inches of knotting to do.

hippiegal said:

Could you post close-up pic of your hair, showing a root area?The thought that came when I read your post was that your hair is having a growing spurt, faster than it can knot up. Surely it'll balance out.

My hair is also very soft at the roots but does knot once it gets to about an inch. I'd rather have it soft rather than hard and I gave up on sea salt because it made my hair brittle, even if it slows things down.

updated by @heather: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Nothing to worry about. You have just about as much unknotted hair as I do. I was imagining a whole lot more. You said something like 3 inches.

If the lock in the first pic is pulled up as far as it can be, that loop to the left will be tangling up sooner than later.

And the second pic looks completely normal

Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

its definitely 3 inches. i measured it. lol:) my hair is wavy so thats why it looks like that. thanks, baba:)

Baba Fats said:

Nothing to worry about. You have just about as much unknotted hair as I do. I was imagining a whole lot more. You said something like 3 inches.

If the lock in the first pic is pulled up as far as it can be, that loop to the left will be tangling up sooner than later.

And the second pic looks completely normal

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Still wouldn't worry. And from the first pic, your hair looks just like mine. Not just the locks, but how it lays.

hippiegal
@hippiegal
12 years ago
182 posts

Looks fine to me too, Heather. I can see one well-formed dread to the side of the top pic, as well as the one you're holding. I think your hair is just knotting at its own pace,perhaps not evenly, but it happens like that for a lot of us.I can't imagine you're doing anything wrong.

Mindy
@mindy
12 years ago
12 posts

I definitely noticed residue on my hair after Bronner's washes too, it always felt "dirty" faster than a baking soda wash.

Baba Fats said:

it could. Hard water doesn't rinse Dr. B's off of anything well

ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
12 years ago
336 posts

Plus, our hair grows in spurts sometimes, not exactly 1/4 inch a month'] you may just have had a growth spurt, Heather']

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

That sucks Mindy. I guess I lucked out with soft water. It depends on where you live. The North east of America tends to have softer water. and the south west has harder water.

I've never had problems with Dr. B's but I do have problems with dreadlockshampoo.com. I can get it all out, but it takes twice as long to rinse it all out

/ 3
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form