dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Shortening/cutting dreds

Steve Hood
@steve-hood
12 years ago
2 posts

Hello everyone

I would like to ask if anyone has any experience with shortening/cutting dreadies.

Because i have dredlocks for about 6 years now and they got mighty long and heavy.

And since i like sports they are becoming a big burden but i dont want to cut them completely, just shroten by about a half.

So any tips or advice for this ?

Thanks a lot :)

updated by @steve-hood: 01/13/15 09:18:03PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

mine are a foot past my toes and i want em lonfger

why are yours so heavy at 6 years mine are 21 years and not so heavy

did u use wax?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

oh you crochetted thats extremely bad for dreadssand altho wont add weight like wax will make them striff and annotying like wax

i wouldnt cut id stop crochetting start conditioning to soften them up loosen the extreme tighteness and let them start6 to flow better

when they are more natural u wont even think of cutting

--
Steve Hood
@steve-hood
12 years ago
2 posts

i have never used wax, and well have u ever played basketball and after landing hit yourslef in the eye with a swinging dread?that hurt like hell :)

I tried not crocheing for about a year and after that time about third of my hair was completely out of my dreads

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Something tell me that Eagle hasn't had to land a jump shot in a while. lol, sorry.

Anyway, how did you hurt yourself with a lock? Mine are 5 years old and only heavy after I wash them. Why not look into different methods to wear them up? Some people tie them up into a beehive that takes all the weight off of their neck.

If you have to cut them, I guess do it at an angle. It ends up looking ok, but it will blunt. there's no question about that. And then you'll run into all the problems associated with blunted ends.

I'm with you eagle, mine are only a few inches past my shoulders, but I want them to hit the ground one day. I don't know excatly how I'll handle them at that point, but it's where I want them

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

crochet recovery takes 6 months from 1 single use if u used alot it takes well over aw year'

u just gotta dstop crocheting

its that simnplke thats why t6hey hurt

crochet makes them stiff scratchy hard weak extremely damaged

just dont do it and they will get soft and not hurt at all

but u got a long recovery ahead of you

just dont worry about a few loose hairs thats normal and healthy

perforating the dread..poking holes in them breaking every hair into lil peices ..thats not good

they should not be anywhere near as tight hard stiff and skinny as crochet makes them

you never should have started..never crochetted even onvce

once u do your a slave to it fixing the damage your causing

the loose hairs are hairs you broke

its an exteemely self destructive habbit

just quit

--
Circle Dancer
@circle-dancer
12 years ago
121 posts

I would think if you cut them the ends would just re-dread eventually the same as when you first put the dreads in.

taye
@taye
12 years ago
833 posts

I know a guy who had dreads almost to the floor. They got overwhelming to him and he cut them to mid back. They did fine. he didn't do anything special. Just cut them straight across.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I guess it depends on how old they are. Most people I know whose were over 3-4 years old blunted easily if not right away. could also depend on hair type I guess

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form