Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Site Highly Recommends dreadlockshampoo.com
Dreadlocks Forums

How long does it usually take dreads to form?

Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
6 years ago
164 posts

I'm asking this question not because I'm impatient but because of where I work I can't just not comb my hair for an extended period of time. lol. I was thinking about doing tnr just once to start, then letting them go from there, but I would like to know how long it takes them to form on their own? And this is unrelated but I wash my hair every other day, sometimes an extra day in between but I at least get it wet.... is that what's causing my hair to itch? It feels yucky... should I just wash every day? I use bs/csv/eo. :) t.i.a.

Oh yeah, they're only a couple weeks old, twisted/backcombed/rolled.


updated by @heathen-hippie-o: 02/15/15 07:16:15AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
27,886 posts

what eo are y u using but dreads will itch at 1st especialy as the head adjusts

if u already backcombed then do nothing just leave them alkone

but they can take weeks or months but depends what i u mean by "form" u can foerm b=dreads naturaly quickly but wont look like wekll foe]rmed for months and not marture for a year

u just got to leave em alone your already staerted so dont tuch them al ]\t all exceo]ot to wash and seperate




--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
V2
@v2
6 years ago
75 posts

Maybe you shouldn't wash so much, it's drying your scalp. I wash once a week and maybe once more through the week.Also, your scalp is probably adjusting to the bs/csv wash,you could probably change up what you wash with, maybe dr. b's. I alternate everyweek with different ways of washing.

Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
6 years ago
164 posts

Well I stopped shampooing about 2 months ago, and my hair is adjusted to the bs/water and acv/water. [I meant to put bs/avc/eo in the o.p., I have no idea what csv is lol] I do a 1-1 ratio of 2 for each. If I don't wash my hair for too long it feels yucky, it itches and my hair is coming loose from my scalp and looks like I have nasty hair/dandruff. :/ Hmm..

V said:

Maybe you shouldn't wash so much, it's drying your scalp. I wash once a week and maybe once more through the week.Also, your scalp is probably adjusting to the bs/csv wash,you could probably change up what you wash with, maybe dr. b's. I alternate everyweek with different ways of washing.

Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
6 years ago
164 posts

:/ I use Aura Cacia cinnamon leaf essential oil, it was the cheapest I could find. :D I found lavender and tea tree, finally, at Kroger and I think I might start using that instead. My "dreads" are not backcombed very tightly and I was considering undoing them after washing, and combing them out gently... then letting them dread on their own from there. I don't think I would mind waiting so long for them to mature, I just don't want my boss telling me I need to comb my hair, haha. :D In that case, where I am told to do something with my hair, I would not want to have undone the backcombed ones, know what I mean? Unless I have the option of wearing a loose bandana/scarf around my head while I'm at work, that might work also. ?

soaring eagle said:

what eo are y u using but dreads will itch at 1st especialy as the head adjusts

if u already backcombed then do nothing just leave them alkone

but they can take weeks or months but depends what i u mean by "form" u can foerm b=dreads naturaly quickly but wont look like wekll foe]rmed for months and not marture for a year

u just got to leave em alone your already staerted so dont tuch them al ]\t all exceo]ot to wash and seperate

V2
@v2
6 years ago
75 posts

What is too long? i spent a month without washing once and it was a nightmare for me, so i understand. maybe you could wash 2-3 times a week. And you should def. add some essential oils that are conducive to the health of your scalp.

Sara M~ )O( said:

Well I stopped shampooing about 2 months ago, and my hair is adjusted to the bs/water and acv/water. [I meant to put bs/avc/eo in the o.p., I have no idea what csv is lol] I do a 1-1 ratio of 2 for each. If I don't wash my hair for too long it feels yucky, it itches and my hair is coming loose from my scalp and looks like I have nasty hair/dandruff. :/ Hmm..

V said:

Maybe you shouldn't wash so much, it's drying your scalp. I wash once a week and maybe once more through the week.Also, your scalp is probably adjusting to the bs/csv wash,you could probably change up what you wash with, maybe dr. b's. I alternate everyweek with different ways of washing.

Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
6 years ago
164 posts

Too long for me is more than 2 days. lol. I think I will go and buy some tea tree oil for my hair... Still I'm wondering what I should do about the method of my dreads. Would it be advisable to undo the backcombing, and let them dread on their own, perhaps wear a scarf when I go to work?

V said:

What is too long? i spent a month without washing once and it was a nightmare for me, so i understand. maybe you could wash 2-3 times a week. And you should def. add some essential oils that are conducive to the health of your scalp.

Sara M~ )O( said:

Well I stopped shampooing about 2 months ago, and my hair is adjusted to the bs/water and acv/water. [I meant to put bs/avc/eo in the o.p., I have no idea what csv is lol] I do a 1-1 ratio of 2 for each. If I don't wash my hair for too long it feels yucky, it itches and my hair is coming loose from my scalp and looks like I have nasty hair/dandruff. :/ Hmm..

V said:

Maybe you shouldn't wash so much, it's drying your scalp. I wash once a week and maybe once more through the week.Also, your scalp is probably adjusting to the bs/csv wash,you could probably change up what you wash with, maybe dr. b's. I alternate everyweek with different ways of washing.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
27,886 posts

i wouldnt undo em just let em dread cinimon i wouldnt use thats gonna fry your scalp i think although it should stimulate bloodflow to the skin i think but can be causing the itch

use teatree and rosemary ..optional pepermint




--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
V2
@v2
6 years ago
75 posts
I have similar issues with work, I put head bands or wrap around hair strings and this has helped me a lot. You can make those with worn out tshirts yourself or you can crocket them, but i found one for a dollar ealier this summer. I don't know what method would be better for you I did go to a loctician, which is not looked down upon. But my hair looked like twists in their earlier stages, but now adays since i choose to maintain much less, it's pretty messy looking. I do wear scarfs or tams in the cooler weather, but for now it's too hot.You should try to peppermint essential oil, it feels great on your scalp, i use it when i have some itching in my bs wash. It takes trial and error to find what works for you and your hair. When it comes to work do what feels comfortable to you, it can be difficult to want to uphold yourself image and still be able to be "presentable" at work.
Lex
@lex
6 years ago
212 posts

you should probably just leave your hair alone since combing out back combed dreads is just as damaging as back-combing.... so stop picking at your hair! It probably needs to rest for a year or two.

 / 2
 
Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
Contact Form