Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Why do people go out of their way to keep their dreads dry?

so would've i
@so-wouldve-i
13 years ago
71 posts

How does keeping them dry encourage the knotting process?

Is it mostly people with finer hair who try to do this because running water through their hair disrupts their progress too much?

My hair usually ends up kinkier after getting wet and then drying, and I thought this was a good thing for lock forming??

I have been confused about this for a while ever since Smay Kunkel told me she literally never got her dreads wet (something that is very hard for me to believe but that's really beside the point)

anybody have any answers?

updated by @so-wouldve-i: 02/14/15 07:37:37AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

scumbag loctitians tell u never to get em wet knowing ppl will have to wash then they can blame u if anything goes wrong..wetting and washing makes em dread faster..

its all paranoia thats all

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
washing is a vital part of dreading. The only thing i can think of is it's important to make sure they dry thoroughly after washing to prevent mold? And yes, locticians want you to go them to have your hair washed so they can charge for something you can easily do yourself.
so would've i
@so-wouldve-i
13 years ago
71 posts

Okay thanks SE, because I seriously did not understand what the point of that was at all lol

Obviously I get why people with longer and more mature locks don't like getting their hair wet because it takes longer to dry and whatever... but yeah for forming locks like mine I didn't think it made any sense

soaringeagle said:

scumbag loctitians tell u never to get em wet knowing ppl will have to wash then they can blame u if anything goes wrong..wetting and washing makes em dread faster..

its all paranoia thats all

so would've i
@so-wouldve-i
13 years ago
71 posts
Yeah the drying part was the only thing I could think of... I guess it must be a scheme by locticians..... So weird though, weirder to me than any other misconception about locks and the locking process........

NaturalWomyn said:
washing is a vital part of dreading. The only thing i can think of is it's important to make sure they dry thoroughly after washing to prevent mold? And yes, locticians want you to go them to have your hair washed so they can charge for something you can easily do yourself.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
yea I don't really get it either. I think maybe because locticians will often use some type of "locking gel" or other products that will just wash out so as soon as the client washes their hair all thatthey paid for returns to normal hair when the products go down the drain. I dunnno it's just a guess I've never been to a loctician, i don't think they have those where I live lol! ;o)
Brandon Arnold
@brandon-arnold
13 years ago
184 posts

I think that it's weirder when people think you have to rub poop into your hair, or that lice and bugs are common in all dread locks.

and it's weird that people actually believe they can't wash their hair for a month because someone told them to :P

so would've i said:

Yeah the drying part was the only thing I could think of... I guess it must be a scheme by locticians..... So weird though, weirder to me than any other misconception about locks and the locking process........

NaturalWomyn said:
Thundersquall
@thundersquall
13 years ago
235 posts
Like you said when babe-locs are forming, washing and rinsing with water seems to only tighten them up, not loosen em. I washed 5 times a week for two weeks with organic shampoo and still nothing loosened my nappiness.
so would've i
@so-wouldve-i
13 years ago
71 posts
yeah true... and the last one is what i was talking about in the first place haha, but i even think there are people who go longer than a month. i kind of just wrinkled up my nose when Smay Kunkel said she never got her year old dreads wet.... They look absolutely gorgeous though o__o

Brandon Arnold said:

I think that it's weirder when people think you have to rub poop into your hair, or that lice and bugs are common in all dread locks.

and it's weird that people actually believe they can't wash their hair for a month because someone told them to :P

so would've i said:

NaturalWomyn said:
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
I couldn't imagine never washing my hair and scalp! I guess different things work for different people but I need to wash my hair!
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form