Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

the truth about crocheting dreadlocks

dani2
@dani2
15 years ago
51 posts
yes smile i realized that the once broken hairs will not get better, but yes always new one to comes, and yes might the most damaged pieces will fall off, Jah knowshot oil i do not think i wil use, as i know might with my hair it will make, that the dread will even get more weakerjojoba oil i have heard and i think i like it
updated by @dani2: 07/23/15 02:56:09AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
jojoba is the best oil for hairif its warmed up i think it penetrates betterjust if u have a bottle of the oil put the oil bottle in a cup of hot water till the oils hot..not hot enough to burn or do dammage just warmed up dani said:
yes smile i realized that the once broken hairs will not get better, but yes always new one to comes, and yes might the most damaged pieces will fall off, Jah knows
hot oil i do not think i wil use, as i know might with my hair it will make, that the dread will even get more weaker
jojoba oil i have heard and i think i like it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
dani2
@dani2
15 years ago
51 posts
yes much thanks for your replywill be with any oil most carefuly as i know that it will make that i loose the dreads and get style hair again, think for hair like i have, the aloa or the ocra treat will be might better and only add the oil when i think i might gets to dry
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
aloe is a good choicealoe as it dries shrinks pulling in the broken bits and at least temoporarily sealling them its very good for hair and skin dani said:
yes much thanks for your reply
will be with any oil most carefuly as i know that it will make that i loose the dreads and get style hair again, think for hair like i have, the aloa or the ocra treat will be might better and only add the oil when i think i might gets to dry

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
thats true i guess when the fibers are 2 dimentional.. a flat fabric where they have room to move out of the waybut make that same fabric 50 layers thick with no lined up gaps between fibres and fibers twisting turning in every possible direction and there just is no way to have a clear path throughlight passes through fabric because theres spaces for it toa light particle is infinately smallif light cant pass through a dread how can a metal hook possibly millions or even billions of times larger then a light particle Stephanie said:
I think you shouldn't use a crochet hook as it is unnecessary but I don't think it does that much damage. If you take a crochet hook and push it through very fine fibers you can see that it slides past them rather than breaking through them and once you pull it back out the hook I mean you twist it so it slides past the hairs once again. I think you need to have experience with crocheting(not crocheting locks, I mean the actual craft) to understand this.
But I am sure it does break a few hairs when done sloppy and fast.

--
dani2
@dani2
15 years ago
51 posts
i can absolutely tell you that the croching needle is very worse for the dreads, i had already thinking that way, but i dit not know, till the moment i was reading here, YES, a deep shock to me!!always thought i would do good ooooooo so much misoverstanding and half knowledge sometimes, you may clap in your hand and jump for joy when you started your dreads in the natural way
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
when i started there was no other wayat least no other i knew of.not till the net and in particular net based companies started spreading misinformation did any other methods become popularits slightly possible that wax use actualy grwew out of the punk kids use of jello to crerate libertyspikes and hold mohawks up, i guess when punk kids 1st saw dreads it would make sence to them to glue the hair into a mass to create the look..just trying to guess at where that originated its hard to think a company originated that whole practice to sell a product that makes no sence. i think they must have seen people using honey and toothpsste and all sorts of other sticky icky goo's and then decided to market a cleaner version like wax..crochet may have kinda come from the same era, as i remember seeing people whod embroider symbols and stuff into theyre dreads as decorations so embroidery and crochet are a natural progression.i do remember the 80's being a rather stupid decade and alotta people did some really dumb stuff in the name of fashionwhen kids used rubber cemewnt airplane glue and acrylic paints to hold up foot high mohawks and color enm all crazy its not too surprising they wouldnt care so much the ammount of dammage they do to create a lookand now that ppl got lil wiser the ideas of crochert and wax are just so much a part of the dread cultures misinformation that its often not questioned dani said:
i can absolutely tell you that the croching needle is very worse for the dreads, i had already thinking that way, but i dit not know, till the moment i was reading here, YES, a deep shock to me!!
always thought i would do good ooooooo so much misoverstanding and half knowledge sometimes, you may clap in your hand and jump for joy when you started your dreads in the natural way

--
Brad
@brad
15 years ago
20 posts
i know you posted this a while back but i have to comment on it. Im about at month 7 of my journey and i crocheted the first 3 months and yea crocheting is a bad mistake!!! i promise you this!! i am finding, from freeforming for the past four months that all the broken hair caused by the crochet hook is starting to be forced out of dreads by the new growth...which sux...you don't want that to happen....so because i crocheted i have massive loose hair (which i don't have a problem with loose hair) but this is loose hair thats is broken and not even connected to my head...why would you want something like that to happen...when done naturally hair is never broken and detached from your scalp...i mean maybe its alright to crochet once but never continue to maintain them....and another thing..it has taken 4 months since a crochet hook touched my head for my locks to actually start to look "matted" and not "woven"....i used a .7 mm crochet hook so it was small..but it still broken thousands of strainds of hair which im a regretedly now having to deal with....im not speaking out my ass im speaking from experience...i have uploaded videos on my page since my week 16 as well as a vid from week one so you know im not lying....CROCHETING IS BAD!! Mustarov Bulzokin said:
very not true. small diameter crochet hook slide past hair not break them. easier for to go next to hair and not break law of newton. crochet used to pull loose hair for into bottom of lock so hair start to grow for dreadlock. crochet not use to pull hair into dreadlock part already dreadlock because not hair for to do this. I do not understand logic of this soaringeagle. People also I know with dreadlock use crochet to make loose hair into dreadlock not have problem. No respect but have you use crochet?

soaringeagle said:
ok u were smart enough to barely do it

the problem is most ppl do it every week or every 2 weeks
everytime u push any metal object through a dread u break hairs
the strength of a dread (or rope) comes from the length of the in tact fibers thats why hemp is so much stronger then cotton
so every broken hair that shortens fibers (hairs) weakens them somewhat
dreaking a few now and then wont be too bad
but
if u break hundreds a week every week year after year the average length of in tact hairs can be pretty short making the dread very weak

your use was smart..youd be better off never using it but at least you did minumal harm
not like those who for 14 hours a week every week crocheting
Matthew
@matthew
15 years ago
109 posts
I wouldn't say,"BAD"...but, I WOULD say, not suggested. Brad said:
i know you posted this a while back but i have to comment on it. Im about at month 7 of my journey and i crocheted the first 3 months and yea crocheting is a bad mistake!!! i promise you this!! i am finding, from freeforming for the past four months that all the broken hair caused by the crochet hook is starting to be forced out of dreads by the new growth...which sux...you don't want that to happen....so because i crocheted i have massive loose hair (which i don't have a problem with loose hair) but this is loose hair thats is broken and not even connected to my head...why would you want something like that to happen...when done naturally hair is never broken and detached from your scalp...i mean maybe its alright to crochet once but never continue to maintain them....and another thing..it has taken 4 months since a crochet hook touched my head for my locks to actually start to look "matted" and not "woven"....i used a .7 mm crochet hook so it was small..but it still broken thousands of strainds of hair which im a regretedly now having to deal with....im not speaking out my ass im speaking from experience...i have uploaded videos on my page since my week 16 as well as a vid from week one so you know im not lying....CROCHETING IS BAD!!

Mustarov Bulzokin said:
very not true. small diameter crochet hook slide past hair not break them. easier for to go next to hair and not break law of newton. crochet used to pull loose hair for into bottom of lock so hair start to grow for dreadlock. crochet not use to pull hair into dreadlock part already dreadlock because not hair for to do this. I do not understand logic of this soaringeagle. People also I know with dreadlock use crochet to make loose hair into dreadlock not have problem. No respect but have you use crochet?

soaringeagle said:

the strength of a dread (or rope) comes from the length of the in tact fibers thats why hemp is so much stronger then cotton
but
if u break hundreds a week every week year after year the average length of in tact hairs can be pretty short making the dread very weak

your use was smart..youd be better off never using it but at least you did minumal harm
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
its bad...unless your so in need of tidieness you dont mind tons of dammage and constant repair that does more damage Matthew said:
I wouldn't say,"BAD"...but, I WOULD say, not suggested.

Brad said:
i know you posted this a while back but i have to comment on it. Im about at month 7 of my journey and i crocheted the first 3 months and yea crocheting is a bad mistake!!! i promise you this!! i am finding, from freeforming for the past four months that all the broken hair caused by the crochet hook is starting to be forced out of dreads by the new growth...which sux...you don't want that to happen....so because i crocheted i have massive loose hair (which i don't have a problem with loose hair) but this is loose hair thats is broken and not even connected to my head...why would you want something like that to happen...when done naturally hair is never broken and detached from your scalp...i mean maybe its alright to crochet once but never continue to maintain them....and another thing..it has taken 4 months since a crochet hook touched my head for my locks to actually start to look "matted" and not "woven"....i used a .7 mm crochet hook so it was small..but it still broken thousands of strainds of hair which im a regretedly now having to deal with....im not speaking out my ass im speaking from experience...i have uploaded videos on my page since my week 16 as well as a vid from week one so you know im not lying....CROCHETING IS BAD!!

Mustarov Bulzokin said:

soaringeagle said:

but

--

/ 12

Dislike 2

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form