Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

the truth about crocheting dreadlocks

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
for instance like thisshes crochetting the entire dreadthis is how most crochet theyre dreadsand this does massive dammagethere just is no reason to ever shove hard metal objects through your dreads..roots or anywherethe more you do the more work you make for yourself..year after year

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 07/22/15 06:14:10AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts

close up of a crochet hookhow exactky do you make sire no extra hairs get caught in the hook when your pulling it back thriugh?the dammage isnt always aparent to the eye, but its next to impossible to not acci8dently grab hold of hairs you didnt intend to grab as its pulled thriughdread ballings dumb too neither methods worth itthe fact remains you dont need to do either 1but crocheting does do dammage wether itrs minumal dammage if done carefulty to the root only..or massive dammage if you do it like most people just jamming it through the dread at randomno matter how u do it...your better off not doing it Mustarov Bulzokin said:
Damage not caused on way out if know how to use crochet hook. Only dumb would rip or break hair! Dreadball is like dreadheadhq where make ball with finger and tuck into dreadlock. This I try but "ball" not lock up, just funny look stick out of dreadlock after it grow. Crochet not damage unless use like dumb. Basic fact of dreadlock.

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
thats an extreme closeup just to show the design its not actuasl sizeits the hook itself, of any size that can grab hairs unintentionalyand no..i never used a hook...there is absolutely no reason tomy dreads are just fine without poking holes in them Mustarov Bulzokin said:
VERY LARGE CROCHET HOOK. Would not be able for use. Watch woman in video you make. She show how to make wrist so hook not be stuck. Crochet no work for make blanket if hook did what you claim. Must use small hook for hair. .75mm is good. No hair break. Have you use crochet so large? No wonder must think it for damage. Only dumb would do.

soaringeagle said:

close up of a crochet hook
how exactky do you make sire no extra hairs get caught in the hook when your pulling it back thriugh?
the dammage isnt always aparent to the eye, but its next to impossible to not acci8dently grab hold of hairs you didnt intend to grab as its pulled thriugh
dread ballings dumb too neither methods worth it
the fact remains you dont need to do either 1
but crocheting does do dammage wether itrs minumal dammage if done carefulty to the root only..or massive dammage if you do it like most people just jamming it through the dread at random
no matter how u do it...your better off not doing it

Mustarov Bulzokin said:
Damage not caused on way out if know how to use crochet hook. Only dumb would rip or break hair! Dreadball is like dreadheadhq where make ball with finger and tuck into dreadlock. This I try but "ball" not lock up, just funny look stick out of dreadlock after it grow. Crochet not damage unless use like dumb. Basic fact of dreadlock.

--
Kath
@kath
15 years ago
73 posts

This is the largest crochet hook i have used on my dreads. It is a 1.0mm hook. I have put a standard tape measure (inches shown) there for you to see just how small the hook is.To put a crochet hook (the size se has shown) is just bloody ridiculous. If anyone used something that big for their dreads then they deserve to have shithouse dreads!
updated by @kath: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
take an extreme macro closeup of just the hook part...with a single hair for size comparison..hair is generakly so thin hundreds can fit in the hookhair thickness (from wiki)It can vary tremendously depending on race, and continent (Africans' average hair thickness is higher than Europeans', for example). It also depends if you talk about body hair or head hair. Hair from a human head is normally between .04 and .25 milimeters, averaging normally .1. Body hair depends on gender and even within individuals of the same gender and race it can be very different from an individual to another.so if hundreds of hairs can fit in the hook how can u be sure u dont accidently grab 5-10 extrathe hook being 100 times thicker then the hair your gonna beak some going in as well as out

--
Kath
@kath
15 years ago
73 posts
if i do my maths based on your assupmptions, then between 5 - 10 hairs would get broken with the two hooks that i have used, but this is assuming that i break every hair that my hook touches so a 100% breakage chance. Hmmm I do infact doubt that it would be that much.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
i maybe did the math wrong too..lol i dint speak metricbut on if u can ib=nly grab 5-10 hairs eachy time (thats very few hairs) and only break 2-3 in the process u might at most get away with only 5% dammage..so next time u might haftas pull in 7 instead of 5..i maybe getting too tired to do the math..lolall i know for sure is ..people who crochete have told me they keept on crocheting for many many years always to keep fixing the couple loose hairs that reapear a week latersome have gotten so sick of it they chopped off the crocheted prtsone told me when she squeezed rthe crochetted dreads they felt "squeeky" but the natural growth didnt just felt spongy she said it felt like broken hairs grinding on eachotherplus they look woven not dreaded..the new growth looks distincltly different, so they contionue just to keep a uniform look Kath said:
if i do my maths based on your assupmptions, then between 5 - 10 hairs would get broken with the two hooks that i have used, but this is assuming that i break every hair that my hook touches so a 100% breakage chance. Hmmm I do infact doubt that it would be that much.

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/showthread.php?s=7b19683d0890975af7a50d65b77b5202&t=379483&f=209 i just read this threadi think it will help those that claim it dont do dammage to see the reality

--
dani2
@dani2
15 years ago
51 posts
yes it hurts the dreads as i can tell from experiencewhere is the topic for how crochet dreads can get healthy again? lolyes think i know the answer, smile, leave them with piece,got everything to wash with the soda, and will try to follow up the natural way
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
get healthy again well cant be done, however remain as healthy as possible yea leave em beonce physical dammage is done nothing can really repair it but as long as you dont continue to add to it some dammage can be ok..u just want as little as possiblethe strength of fiblres comes from the length of the fibres hemp is far srtronger then cotton because hemop fibres are long while cotton is a couple inches maxwhenj u break hairs u shorten theyre lengths within the ropes that are youir dreads so weaken the overall strength..the more that you do it the more the hairs become chopped up into short peices and the dread strenmgth gets significantly weakeru can try a hot oil treatment if theyre mature it will at least feed them amnd make em happy and hopegfully help end the dammage , (split ends can continue to split more over time if unhealthy trewating the hair with jojoba for instance can help keep the dammage thats already there from progressing) dani said:
yes it hurts the dreads as i can tell from experience

where is the topic for how crochet dreads can get healthy again? lol
yes think i know the answer, smile, leave them with piece,
got everything to wash with the soda, and will try to follow up the natural way

--

/ 12

Dislike 2

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form