Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Twisting dreadlocks Theories?

Paul thomas
@paul-thomas
13 years ago
5 posts
How about a link to this? You always bring it up... But never prove it. Nobody is dumb enough to suggest a method that LITERALLY had more scalp than hair. Get real.Dont try to say it "i dont have it, but its true." thats deffinatly something you would save....

soaring eagle said:
well we had 1 guy that had twice as much scalp as dreads..and he was white and twistimgs just extra dumb fir white ppl hair i mean he literaly looked like 1/2 of the dreads wont last another monthbut he insisted on recomending everyone else twist toohe was only dreaded fir 7 momnths and looked like hed be bald before they were a year

updated by @paul-thomas: 07/19/15 06:30:40PM
average joe
@average-joe
13 years ago
34 posts
On second thought ill stick to what I know and has worked for me. Gonna get twisted and post the results soon.
Calen Mitchell
@calen-mitchell
13 years ago
7 posts
I agree with Needl. I clearly understand what everyone is saying because a lot of twisting can hurt the dread and the hair. But getting it twisted and re-twisted is mostly for the clean look which I must admit is the reason I get mine twisted. But you cant twist them too much because then you will have problems just like with anything. The body heals itself daily. If you are constantly twisting then your hair will fall out, damage, etc. But your not suppose to do that, that is ill-advised by any standard. You get your hair twisted once a month or twice a month but that's it. Your not suppose to twist your hair between those once/twice a month days which people do and that is why they have hair falling out. You just have to be smart about it.
Kevin Boyd
@kevin-boyd
13 years ago
14 posts

i still get mine retwisted. i kinda have to. my moms dosent like my hair period so getting it retwisted every 5 or 6 weeks keeps her off my bsck for the most part. The woman who twist my hair only uses her fingers and a lil locking gel. i dont really think its doing any damage.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

do u see scalp around the dreads?

tell your mom that doing it can make you go bald show her the traction alopecia pictures ask her if she thinks its worth it and ask her if she will p[ay for hair transplants if you do continue twisting

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
average joe
@average-joe
13 years ago
34 posts
Im due for a retwist. Its been about six weeks and with all the new growth,washing and general texture and kinkiness of my hair its starting to hurt and become a burden when seperating my locks. Its like I gotta a bush underneath my locks. So ill get them retwisted tomorrow.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

it doesnt hurt idf u seperate often enough twistings a bad bad idea

just seperate after every wash

--
average joe
@average-joe
13 years ago
34 posts
@soaring eagle how can you tell me what does and doesn't hurt? I do seperate after every wash and im constantly separating throughout normal everyday life. My hair and your hair is different. My pain threshhold and yours is different. I don't want to go offtopic but a huge problem I have with this site is how info is thrown out there and it seems only one type is correct and it makes it seem like you are the only person that knows anything about dreads. I think im going to find a more open forum on dreadlocks.. Twisting isn't bad. I've had no problems with it. I came here to get and share knowledge and not get dictated to. Peace.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

from hairlossexperts.com

Dreadlocks and Alopecia

Inevitably, long hair of any kind stresses the scalp. This can be worse with dreadlocks because hair that would usually be shed instead remains twisted into the dreads, meaning that, over time, there is additional weight on the roots. This can cause traction alopecia.

The best way to protect yourself against these problems is to wear your hair in a style that supports it against the top of your head, reducing the strain on the roots. This can mean tying it up (being careful not to do so too tightly) or wearing it inside a soft, breathable hat that provides support. You can still wear your dreads loose for special occasions, but if you look after them in this way you're a lot less likely to lose your hair.

The leading causes of alopecia in dreadlocked hair is twisting interlocking and over tightening of the roots which cause a constant tension resulting in permanent hair loss.

--
Kevin Boyd
@kevin-boyd
13 years ago
14 posts

i thought it was only an issue if over twisting.no i dont see scalp

/ 5

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form