Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Twisting dreadlocks Theories?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

ask the job for their definition of neatness in writting and u will find twisting is not nesacary at all

Laron Da Dread Head said:

I Agree Im Also Kno The Dangers Of Twisting Bt I Have A Job Dats Very Strict Bout Neatness. So I Get My Hair Retwisted Every 2 Months. Bt I Agree 100% WithAshley.

Sampson said:

I really get my hair twisted only because I work in a business where it isnt acceptable to have crazy hair. I do love my hair, and now I've gone from getting it twisted ever week or two ...till now where its a once a month affair just to keep things tidy. I'm fully aware that it doesn't help my hair dread...I just use it as a means to keep things neater.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 07/23/15 04:43:51PM
Mary
@mary
13 years ago
140 posts

I admit that a couple of weeks ago, I realized that I was not going to go to a stylist anymore so I washed my hair for the first time in 4-8 weeks. I then twisted them at the root because I added some lock gro that I had sitting in a drawer. Now I think I am just going to wash them more and not worry about twisting at the scalp because it makes me feel as if the dread can just blow away. Its not a secure feeling to have.

Like now some of my dreads are kind of fat and then tight and skinny because they were professionally twisted. You can look at some of my dreads and tell when I went to a salon or when I just let it go...

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

congrats thats the best thing you can do for your dreads

its funny you worry about yours blowing away..i worry mine are stronger then my neck haha my fear is someone stepping on them or them getting caught when im flying down a hill and the dreads beig stronger then my neck and breaking my neck

yoirs will recover and be strong eventualy theyre short now too so the majority wuill be strong when hey grow long if there is any permanent thin spots

Mary said:

I admit that a couple of weeks ago, I realized that I was not going to go to a stylist anymore so I washed my hair for the first time in 4-8 weeks. I then twisted them at the root because I added some lock gro that I had sitting in a drawer. Now I think I am just going to wash them more and not worry about twisting at the scalp because it makes me feel as if the dread can just blow away. Its not a secure feeling to have.

Like now some of my dreads are kind of fat and then tight and skinny because they were professionally twisted. You can look at some of my dreads and tell when I went to a salon or when I just let it go...

--
jameela bailey
@jameela-bailey
13 years ago
30 posts
twisting will do nothing but undo itself, i braided my hair thats how i got dreads..and that was years ago, but yea brading or tnr as everyone else mentions is good, but twisting will do nothing...
average joe
@average-joe
13 years ago
34 posts
I'm black and got my hair twisted for 6 years every month. My hair was thick and none of my dreads ever fell out or broke off. I think it has something to do with texture because my hair is extremely thick and after about a week of them getting maintenanced you could barely see any of my scalp.

Like thisEdit. The picture isn't showing up
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
its still not smart to ever twist dreads

--
average joe
@average-joe
13 years ago
34 posts

soaring eagle said:
its still not smart to ever twist dreads
Any exact reason(s) why?I know a lot of people that have had dreads for 8 years or longer that get them twisted. They haven't seemed to have any major problems I know of. My hair gets extremely kinky and if I don't twist them they get clumped together and it hurts trying to separate them.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

it only hurts to seperate if u dont seperate enough doesnt twisting them to death hurt too?

seperate every time u wash and u wont have any issues

and yea for every 1 that has had them 8 years without problems 2 or 3 had prolems within a year or 2..its not a smart thing to do it can cause permenant irreversable hard..even balding

its true the more u do it the worse the trouble is

but the fact remains dreads should never be twisted as maintenance the roots take care of themselves all u sghould do is seperate thats all

look around your 1 lucky guy who got away with it

look at how many didnt they had thinning roots even lost dreads

its very risky and not worth it at all

--
MissKitty
@misskitty
13 years ago
5 posts

Its funny ppl always tell me twist my dreads and for a while I listened and then they said I should get them crocheted bad bad bad mistake my roots got week and then I learned ot block everyone out because ITS MY HAIR! My hair refuses any twisting or anything its puffy and does what it wants alot like the person underneath the hair so Im happy my hair is happy and everyone else I tell them to mind htier own busniness

!

average joe
@average-joe
13 years ago
34 posts

soaring eagle said:

it only hurts to seperate if u dont seperate enough doesnt twisting them to death hurt too?

seperate every time u wash and u wont have any issues

and yea for every 1 that has had them 8 years without problems 2 or 3 had prolems within a year or 2..its not a smart thing to do it can cause permenant irreversable hard..even balding

its true the more u do it the worse the trouble is

but the fact remains dreads should never be twisted as maintenance the roots take care of themselves all u sghould do is seperate thats all

look around your 1 lucky guy who got away with it

look at how many didnt they had thinning roots even lost dreads

its very risky and not worth it at all

Thanks a lot. I've been contemplating it ever since I joined the site. Gonna wash and separate in a minute

/ 5

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form