"Instant" dread wraps.

Lapis Angela Lazuli
@lapis-angela-lazuli
12 years ago
76 posts
Ah ok. That makes sense!

Tied up in knots said:

They are made of cotton crochet thread.

I don't know if they can be made small enough yet for dreads your size though I imagine they would work better than beads since they are very light weight and can kind of "float" on the dread even if it's bigger than the dread itself.

Angela Lee said:

What are they made of?

Do you think my super short baby dreads will benefit from it?

They are great, btw!

updated by @lapis-angela-lazuli: 07/10/15 08:19:53AM
Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

I crocheted one in the round and the other two were done flat and then sewn or crocheted into a tube. I found doing it in the round to be annoying at that size and I could make them faster by working flat.

Another benefit of doing it flat is that the seam created by sewing/crocheting the edges gives the tubes structure which makes it easier to put them on.Makes me happy when laziness works out like that!

And my initial post is wrong...I used a 2.2mm hook. Not a 3mm. I grabbed the wrong hook when I went to check on what I was doing!

I was actually just thinking today that making these would probably be easier with some kind of loom but I've only ever used my hook. I'm going to have to look for my wooden spool collection and see what I can come up with. Finally a use for my spools! Thanks for the idea Heather!

Heather said:

so cool! i made something similar using a knitting spool. i made my own loom with an old wooden thread spool and some nails. the "dread sweater" came out great but i need to make a bigger spool so they will be larger. i would love to crochet some of these too though. did you crochet in the round?

Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

i make peyote sleeves flat and then sew them up but i never thought about doing it with crochet.brilliant! i'm going to give it a try. do you know what size crochet thread your using? i have 3 and 10.

Tied up in knots said:

I crocheted one in the round and the other two were done flat and then sewn or crocheted into a tube. I found doing it in the round to be annoying at that size and I could make them faster by working flat.

Another benefit of doing it flat is that the seam created by sewing/crocheting the edges gives the tubes structure which makes it easier to put them on.Makes me happy when laziness works out like that!

And my initial post is wrong...I used a 2.2mm hook. Not a 3mm. I grabbed the wrong hook when I went to check on what I was doing!

I was actually just thinking today that making these would probably be easier with some kind of loom but I've only ever used my hook. I'm going to have to look for my wooden spool collection and see what I can come up with. Finally a use for my spools! Thanks for the idea Heather!

Heather said:

so cool! i made something similar using a knitting spool. i made my own loom with an old wooden thread spool and some nails. the "dread sweater" came out great but i need to make a bigger spool so they will be larger. i would love to crochet some of these too though. did you crochet in the round?

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

These are actually really simple to make. If you can make a washcloth you can make these! You just need a small hook and thread instead of yarn.

Make a chain that just fits around your dreads without stretching or is as long as you want the wrap to be. Then just stitch back and forth until it's as long/wide as you want it. Once you do that you just sew the edges together and make it a tube.

It does have to be turned inside out though after that which is a pain (especially when they get really thin and long). Crocheting in the round would eliminate this but I'm finding crocheting in the round more annoying than turning at the moment and the seam does make it easier to put the things on so I'm sticking to this method for now.

Ixchel said:

these are great, i really have to figure out crochet...

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

theres an alternate way to do this

instead of making a wrapped tube just wrap the strings themselves like you would do a freindship bracelet leave a loop at 1 end with a bead slip the loop over a dread and slide up the bead to tighten it the "wraps" not really on a dread just hangs from a dread more as decoration..kinda the same as if u added 1 synth dread the same way by a loop

someone i knew made "wraps" like that and sold em

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

I just went a-googling to make sure and my thread is size 20. I always buy second hand so never really know but this stuff luckily still had it's label. Turns out my ball of thread here is older than my mother by at least a decade if not more!

Heather said:

i make peyote sleeves flat and then sew them up but i never thought about doing it with crochet.brilliant! i'm going to give it a try. do you know what size crochet thread your using? i have 3 and 10.

Tied up in knots said:

Heather said:

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

That sounds neat too. Kind of like dread wraps and synthetic dreads had a baby! I'm going to have to try that as well.

I'm just really digging these tubes because I can decorate my lumpy bumps without flattening them or having to do traditional wraps. I've been a bit mopy about not being able to really decorate my favourite dreads because of the paddles on the bottoms but now I can decorate them all without worrying about damaging theml!

soaring eagle said:

instead of making a wrapped tube just wrap the strings themselves like you would do a freindship bracelet leave a loop at 1 end with a bead slip the loop over a dread and slide up the bead to tighten it the "wraps" not really on a dread just hangs from a dread more as decoration..kinda the same as if u added 1 synth dread the same way by a loop

Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

i know what you mean. my whole head is lumps, bumps and paddles. i only have one loc that i can add a bead to. i wonder how long it will take for them to compress down and turn into a more rope like loc? will it ever? *finger crossed*

Tied up in knots said:

That sounds neat too. Kind of like dread wraps and synthetic dreads had a baby! I'm going to have to try that as well.

I'm just really digging these tubes because I can decorate my lumpy bumps without flattening them or having to do traditional wraps. I've been a bit mopy about not being able to really decorate my favourite dreads because of the paddles on the bottoms but now I can decorate them all without worrying about damaging theml!

soaring eagle said:

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Hooray for dread cozies! I was thinking about doing this with stretchy yarn (like the Kroy sockz yarn) and just make them in a smaller gauge(?) than my locks because the idea of trying to reach behind my head to do wraps just sounded exhausting and I really don't need all my accessories only in the front.

Yours look great!

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

i can't make a washcloth with crochet :( i made some unwearable pants for my babe once & now I can't remember how to do the stitch at all! & i tried youtube videos & either they go to fast for me to understand what they are doing or the camera is too far away/blurry to see it. I really need to find someone to sit down & show me!

I will be making these as soon as i get it figured out again tho! so awesome :)

Tied up in knots said:

These are actually really simple to make. If you can make a washcloth you can make these! You just need a small hook and thread instead of yarn.

Make a chain that just fits around your dreads without stretching or is as long as you want the wrap to be. Then just stitch back and forth until it's as long/wide as you want it. Once you do that you just sew the edges together and make it a tube.

It does have to be turned inside out though after that which is a pain (especially when they get really thin and long). Crocheting in the round would eliminate this but I'm finding crocheting in the round more annoying than turning at the moment and the seam does make it easier to put the things on so I'm sticking to this method for now.

Ixchel said:

these are great, i really have to figure out crochet...

/ 5

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form