Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

"Instant" dread wraps.

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

Crochet for Dummies.Can't recommend that book enough. Definitely buy it. The diagrams are really awesome. I was doing ok with youtube but the book made all the difference.

Ixchel said:

i can't make a washcloth with crochet :( i made some unwearable pants for my babe once & now I can't remember how to do the stitch at all! & i tried youtube videos & either they go to fast for me to understand what they are doing or the camera is too far away/blurry to see it. I really need to find someone to sit down & show me!

I will be making these as soon as i get it figured out again tho! so awesome :)

Tied up in knots said:

These are actually really simple to make. If you can make a washcloth you can make these! You just need a small hook and thread instead of yarn.

Make a chain that just fits around your dreads without stretching or is as long as you want the wrap to be. Then just stitch back and forth until it's as long/wide as you want it. Once you do that you just sew the edges together and make it a tube.

It does have to be turned inside out though after that which is a pain (especially when they get really thin and long). Crocheting in the round would eliminate this but I'm finding crocheting in the round more annoying than turning at the moment and the seam does make it easier to put the things on so I'm sticking to this method for now.

Ixchel said:

these are great, i really have to figure out crochet...

updated by @tied-up-in-knots: 07/13/15 04:08:22AM
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

i totally saw that at Barnes & Nobles too but I thought before I go buying any knitting or crochet books I should research them first because I was disappointed with the last one I purchased. Thanks for the recommendation...I know what I'm running out & buying this week :)

Tied up in knots said:

Crochet for Dummies.Can't recommend that book enough. Definitely buy it. The diagrams are really awesome. I was doing ok with youtube but the book made all the difference.

Ixchel said:

i can't make a washcloth with crochet :( i made some unwearable pants for my babe once & now I can't remember how to do the stitch at all! & i tried youtube videos & either they go to fast for me to understand what they are doing or the camera is too far away/blurry to see it. I really need to find someone to sit down & show me!

Tied up in knots said:

These are actually really simple to make. If you can make a washcloth you can make these! You just need a small hook and thread instead of yarn.

Make a chain that just fits around your dreads without stretching or is as long as you want the wrap to be. Then just stitch back and forth until it's as long/wide as you want it. Once you do that you just sew the edges together and make it a tube.

It does have to be turned inside out though after that which is a pain (especially when they get really thin and long). Crocheting in the round would eliminate this but I'm finding crocheting in the round more annoying than turning at the moment and the seam does make it easier to put the things on so I'm sticking to this method for now.

Ixchel said:

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

I taught myself with the book called The Happy Hooker . It has very good instruction and diagrams for beginners as well as some pretty easy to read patterns. If you go to my photo albums and look at the green shell caplet I made, that was from a pattern in that book (and the first pattern I ever worked from successfully because I've found that 60-70% of the patterns are written by bistitchuals and I know absolutely NOTHING about kitting terms.)

I've loaned my book to 3 of my girlfriends to learn how to crochet and they all managed really well (2 of them actually bought their own copies.)

EDIT: Oh! and you can always look to see if your local library has books to check out before you pour your dollars into owning one that doesn't end up working for you.

*Support your local libraries!*

Tied up in knots said:

Ixchel said:

Tied up in knots said:

Ixchel said:

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

lol the name of that book makes me giggle like a little girl. thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out to see if they have that one too!

Valrie said:

I taught myself with the book called The Happy Hooker . It has very good instruction and diagrams for beginners as well as some pretty easy to read patterns. If you go to my photo albums and look at the green shell caplet I made, that was from a pattern in that book (and the first pattern I ever worked from successfully because I've found that 60-70% of the patterns are written by bistitchuals and I know absolutely NOTHING about kitting terms.)

I've loaned my book to 3 of my girlfriends to learn how to crochet and they all managed really well (2 of them actually bought their own copies.)

Tied up in knots said:

figure out crochet...

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

Added a couple pictures of the bigger one I made today. I want to make some long skinny ones for my unbumpy dreads but I need an actual turning tool to be able to turn them inside out!

Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

bistitchuals.........BAHAHAHAHA!!!! love it:)

Valrie said:

EDIT: Oh! and you can always look to see if your local library has books to check out before you pour your dollars into owning one that doesn't end up working for you.

Tied up in knots said:

Ixchel said:

Tied up in knots said:

Ixchel said:

Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

what stitch are you doing? double crochet?

Tied up in knots said:

Added a couple pictures of the bigger one I made today. I want to make some long skinny ones for my unbumpy dreads but I need an actual turning tool to be able to turn them inside out!

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts
Great term!And library awesome, I didn't even think to look for crafting books there deh!

Heather said:

bistitchuals.........BAHAHAHAHA!!!! love it:)

Valrie said:

Tied up in knots said:

Ixchel said:

Tied up in knots said:

Ixchel said:

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

On the small one in the first picture I used single. On the larger new one and the one that went over the paddle I used double. Double crochet definitely has more give/stretch. I haven't tried using triple yet though I'm thinking of doing it for the longer skinny ones just to make turning easier.

Heather said:

what stitch are you doing? double crochet?

Tied up in knots said:

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

Sock yarn is an AWESOME idea. They'd probably be a little harder to get on with the longer skiniier ones but they'd fit nice and snug like a regular wrap.

I need to make note of this for the next time I'm at an actual craft store.

Valrie said:

Hooray for dread cozies! I was thinking about doing this with stretchy yarn (like the Kroy sockz yarn) and just make them in a smaller gauge(?) than my locks because the idea of trying to reach behind my head to do wraps just sounded exhausting and I really don't need all my accessories only in the front.

Yours look great!

/ 5

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form