Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Has anyone taken the Nazarite vow?

Nolan Plank
@nolan-plank
7 years ago
66 posts
Like actually taken it and actively follow it? I used to go to a private, catholic school, and we were forced to keep our hairs very short, crew cut, and it was terrible. They restricted our freedoms pretty fully.I remember reading about samson and about the old testament saying that holy men shall not cut their hair, and I guess not comb either because they didn't want to break any hairs on their heads. The new testament says that it is shameful for a man to have long hair, but I don't really follow the bible at all.Anyways, I wanted to take the vow at the time. I'm pretty sure that Rastafarians also take it, and I've heard that Sufis also don't comb or cut their hair. Oh well maybe not Sufis but some sect of Muslim I think.I don't think I'm going to take it because it requires some things like not taking grapes into your body, not getting near unclean foods and dead people but I'm intrigued if anybody in the west actually takes this vow.Be well.
updated by @nolan-plank: 01/13/15 09:47:32PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,421 posts

yes alot do

and although the new testiment says its shameful to grow the hair long the old testimendt says thats why its holy

but thats just another contradiction which they like to say well we started a new chapter..basicly rewrote the religion i guess they thought this isnt working so good lets start ovrr

ofcourse guys like king james and otrhers had to meddle too and rewrite it the way they liked it

its funny though the church would beayt native american chgildren to death for speaking their own language or for wearing the hair long

from 1930 to 1970 the church took aboriginese kids away if they werent pure aboriginese and forced them to be servents often killing them in the process again forcing them to cut the hair and beating them for speaking their language

there was a movie on sundance recently..what was it called? i forget

3 half caste aboriginese kids age 8-14 were stolen from thie parents

oh its called the rabbit proof fence..

they were taken to a bording school at the opositeend of the country

they escaped and walked from 1 end of the country to the other ..took 3 monthsall the while eluding a tracker and the police

this is a true story btw

after returning hiome they married and had kids and again were taken away to the same school..and for a second time escaped and walked home but the 1 girl died in the school and the 1 womans child wasnever seen again

but they ..the church thought it was for thier own good that they destroy their culture and force them into virtual slavery

srry went ona rant slightly unrelated to the question

but yea many do take the vow we probly have several dozen or more on here who have..possibly a hundred or 2 or m9ee i dunno

the diet restrictions arent hard and are very healthy just be veghatarian avoud fruits of the vine and anything with any chemicals ayt all

dont even cook in aluminum or anythubg that might trafer any chemicalsto the food

its an xtremely pure lifestyle

but isnt that the purpose to taking such a vow?




--
27 years growing dreadlocks the natural way
My dreads are over 10 feet long

also on the board of, and a student glider pilot with freedoms wings international - soaring for people with disabilities
NaturalDreads01
@naturaldreads01
7 years ago
170 posts

the grapes part becomes interesting in public.. people always question me when I make sure there isn't any grapes in things.. They are always like "Are you allergic?" i'm like "No." then they get all weird and stuff about it like i'm some freak lol. Then sometimes I tell em it is part of a vow depending on who i am talking to.. people are so antsy about little things things like that, lol.. but yeah, when i tell em i'm not allergic they are always like "So why do you need to know if there is any grapes?" it can get kind of tedious lol. Then if i tell em it is part of a vow, theresponses are even more varied lol.

Nolan Plank
@nolan-plank
7 years ago
66 posts

Yes I'm very familar with both of these scenarios and have heard of but not seen that that movie. Actually theres a california indian nation that has dreadlocks. The kumayay? I forget what they call themselves. Beautiful big burly locks of hair. I'm not sure why they do it.

Didn't some indigenous australians have dreadlocks? Colonial rule was not good to them. then again it isn't good to anyone, even the colonizers. It kills everyone involved spiritualy at some level. I always sympathized with those peoples because of the forced hair cutting. People didn't get it, they didn't get why it's such a big deal to be forced to shave your mane.

I don't think that I could take the vow. It feels to binding to me. But I still find it fascinating so I hope some other people who have taken it find this discussion.

soaring eagle said:

yes alot do

and although the new testiment says its shameful to grow the hair long the old testimendt says thats why its holy

but thats just another contradiction which they like to say well we started a new chapter..basicly rewrote the religion i guess they thought this isnt working so good lets start ovrr

ofcourse guys like king james and otrhers had to meddle too and rewrite it the way they liked it

its funny though the church would beayt native american chgildren to death for speaking their own language or for wearing the hair long

from 1930 to 1970 the church took aboriginese kids away if they werent pure aboriginese and forced them to be servents often killing them in the process again forcing them to cut the hair and beating them for speaking their language

there was a movie on sundance recently..what was it called? i forget

3 half caste aboriginese kids age 8-14 were stolen from thie parents

oh its called the rabbit proof fence..

they were taken to a bording school at the opositeend of the country

they escaped and walked from 1 end of the country to the other ..took 3 monthsall the while eluding a tracker and the police

this is a true story btw

after returning hiome they married and had kids and again were taken away to the same school..and for a second time escaped and walked home but the 1 girl died in the school and the 1 womans child wasnever seen again

but they ..the church thought it was for thier own good that they destroy their culture and force them into virtual slavery

srry went ona rant slightly unrelated to the question

but yea many do take the vow we probly have several dozen or more on here who have..possibly a hundred or 2 or m9ee i dunno

the diet restrictions arent hard and are very healthy just be veghatarian avoud fruits of the vine and anything with any chemicals ayt all

dont even cook in aluminum or anythubg that might trafer any chemicalsto the food

its an xtremely pure lifestyle

but isnt that the purpose to taking such a vow?

Nolan Plank
@nolan-plank
7 years ago
66 posts

Why did you take it? I forgot to ask this.

NaturalDreads01 said:

the grapes part becomes interesting in public.. people always question me when I make sure there isn't any grapes in things.. They are always like "Are you allergic?" i'm like "No." then they get all weird and stuff about it like i'm some freak lol. Then sometimes I tell em it is part of a vow depending on who i am talking to.. people are so antsy about little things things like that, lol.. but yeah, when i tell em i'm not allergic they are always like "So why do you need to know if there is any grapes?" it can get kind of tedious lol. Then if i tell em it is part of a vow, theresponses are even more varied lol.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,421 posts

isnt a vow suposed to be binding but its only as binding as your commitment to it

look at preists that take a vow of celibacy then rape alterboys

a vows a personal choice and its yoiur choice to honour and commit to it

many people vow revenge on those who wrong them and these vows eat them up inside

these vows are made hastily and oiut of anger totake a vow to be more pure more holy whatever takes more contempo]lation you dont do it on a whim or out of an emotional responce but because you feel a calling




--
27 years growing dreadlocks the natural way
My dreads are over 10 feet long

also on the board of, and a student glider pilot with freedoms wings international - soaring for people with disabilities
Nolan Plank
@nolan-plank
7 years ago
66 posts

Yes it is supposed to be binding, but I think that's why I havn't taken any vows haha because I'm aware that my mind could change at any time, so it's kind of like with tattoos, I dont tthink that I could get one unless I thought about a certain one for years.

Same thing with this vow, I don't think It's something that I am willing to take at the moment. I don't knowif I am called to do it. I know that I want to be pure in a world that grows increasingly less pure, but I'm not too sure if maybe the world is so unpure because of all the vows through out history? I dont know maybe I'm not making any sense hahaha

It's interested me for a while though, but I wouldn't take the vow without seriously considering it and thinking about it for a long time.

soaring eagle said:

isnt a vow suposed to be binding but its only as binding as your commitment to it

look at preists that take a vow of celibacy then rape alterboys

a vows a personal choice and its yoiur choice to honour and commit to it

many people vow revenge on those who wrong them and these vows eat them up inside

these vows are made hastily and oiut of anger totake a vow to be more pure more holy whatever takes more contempo]lation you dont do it on a whim or out of an emotional responce but because you feel a calling

Nolan Plank
@nolan-plank
7 years ago
66 posts

Funny. The NA Nation that dreads lives in the Mohave desert. This guy, he is a rapper/yogi, and he lives near the Mohave, and has dreadlocks like them, but from what I've read I havn't seen any connection between him and that Nation. Strange.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&docid=FARBGj1cJ2BOIM&tbnid=TGzQp6LLzbjyuM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ouest-france.fr%2Factu%2Fdisques_detail_-Gonjasufi-preche-sa-soul-mystique-dans-le-desert-_3724-1297478_actu.Htm&ei=GwYrUe2SFNLRiAKQ4IHgDg&bvm=bv.42768644,d.cGE&psig=AFQjCNFsTgGeMkKe4c8wgm_gt-yEdSQZ8A&ust=1361860498224587

soaring eagle said:

isnt a vow suposed to be binding but its only as binding as your commitment to it

look at preists that take a vow of celibacy then rape alterboys

a vows a personal choice and its yoiur choice to honour and commit to it

many people vow revenge on those who wrong them and these vows eat them up inside

these vows are made hastily and oiut of anger totake a vow to be more pure more holy whatever takes more contempo]lation you dont do it on a whim or out of an emotional responce but because you feel a calling

JavaLizard
@javalizard
7 years ago
89 posts

Despite all previous written to cut to the chase, the Nazarite vow applies to those who observe the Law. It is possible for many to claim to take it, but in truth the vow is meant to be sanctifying within the Law. Traditional Rastas, before they started incorporating polytheism, observed the Law claiming the potential truth of being true Jewish decent.

But if things are not clean and unclean to you, if you do not know what a burnt offering is, then it negates the letter of the vow. Long hair mentioned in the Nazarite vow is different than what Paul was talking about, but that is another story.

The hair is a very strong spiritual crown, however one ought not make a specific spiritual claim if indeed they do not hold to the particular faith.The vow of a nazarite is a very strong and powerful vow, especially when considering that the whole time one ought to be clean in every aspect of their life. The story of Samson shows us that he was a Nazarite by hair but not by vow. John the Baptist is a better example. Paul even took the vow. The vow does not mean dread locks. the vow is a set period of time determined by the person. The vow could be a month-life. Don't misread one example with the truth of the matter.

Peace Shalom
@peace-shalom
2 years ago
44 posts

I am not claiming to be an authority on the subject, but as a Karaite Jew, my current understanding of the vow of the Nazarite still allows you to eat "clean" meat on occasion. So saying the diet restrictions involves a 100% vegan/vegetarian diet is not 100% accurate. The dietary part of the vow is to abstain from grapes and alcohol in addition to the normal dietary law of no unclean things. The Nazarite would still eat the lamb on Passover. Part of the Nazarite vow is not to go near dead bodies of humans. But how I understand it, this does not apply to dead animals. Some may disagree with me though and say it applies also to dead animals, but dead animals are very frequent, like you would have to never wear a leather belt or sit on a leather couch etc.

Edit:

I now currently believe that yes a vegan diet is part of the vow. 

I honestly believe the texts requiring eating meat and sacrifices are corruption to the scriptures and the prophets wrote of this:

Jeremiah, Isaiah and Micah taught againt killing of animals. Thus the Cain and Abel story was reversed.
Ecclesiastes 5:1
Micah 6:6-8
Isaiah :11-20
Jeremiah 7:22, 8:8


updated by @peace-shalom: 07/06/18 01:33:41PM
 / 2
 
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form