Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

wwoofing abroad, or in general

Kathleen
@kathleen
13 years ago
28 posts

I love this conversation! <3 My husband, myself and our 17 year old son are selling everything over the next few months, buying backpacks and long term camping gear and taking off in March out west. We rent anyway so it's just stuff. We plan on hiking, camping and traveling by foot for however long we feel the need. After that we plan on joining the Wwoofing community too and look to learn organic farming. From there we would like to be apart of a like minded community of people who want to live off the land, off grid as possible, sharing knowledge and skills, while having time to be who we were meant to be. I love that more and more people are talking about these things. In the town I live in now near Boston it is all about what you own and what your career is. It has been a challenge living here over the past year and a half but we have grown alot because of it. The more fakeness surrounds us the more real we seem to become. Our family is so opposite we stick out like a sore thumb. It's actually pretty hilarious especially at my job. We will pretty much be making ourselves homeless by doing this and alot of people think we're crazy, but I have never felt more sane in all my 50 years. ; ) Oh, and our cat will be joining us : )

updated by @kathleen: 07/23/15 05:07:43PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

oh more and more ppl ewant to live off the grid everyday there was an off the grid community group made on fb and in 1 day they had 10,000 ppl join and 3 large plots of land donated ofcourse they werent too practicle hagha they wanted to live off hi=unting i tried explaining that wont work with a large community theyd eat every mouseevery bug every work=m on the land and starve within months they also were drawing up plans to fit100 families on 1 acre of land again i explained thered be no food but they didnt want to liste n

everytime u sufggested growing veggies the meat eatters shot u down and said theyd hunt for food.. i kepttelling thenm they needed 10 acres per family to grow the food they needed ..5 minumum but 10 recomended but they wouldnt listen and insisted on packimg thousands of peiople in tiny spaces and eating every an=imal in sight

i think the group has over 100,000 memvers now but i gave up and started talking to already established more [racticle and levelheaded fokjs

actualy was funny they were going to not use the free land out of fear of chemtrails cause a jet clew over

there were a few ppl in the group with good practiccle ideas but there were alotta whackos too who just threw the focus off and took everyone on wild tangents so i kinda doubt they got much done even with how facst things seemed to happen in the 1st weeks they literaly had like 1009 ppl join the group every hour

and was so hard to keep up with all the posts and ideas cause they were posted so fast so ther really is a hell of alot of interest in off the grid living anymore

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Aya Heartright
@aya-heartright
13 years ago
91 posts

SE, do you have any information on your friend in Ecuador? Do you think she would want help down there? Also slight change of plans. I think wwoofing, though fun would be too much moving around. What we are really looking for is to join a commune.... even if it's in the USA, but preferably in S. America. Can you help point us in the right direction, perhaps?

Lee Vaughan
@lee-vaughan
13 years ago
6 posts

You're hoping to permanently work on the farm? Sounds great. But make sure you have everything planned and the head frmer dude knows about everything, you don't want to go their with no house left and then realise he thought you were staying for 4 weeks. Just learn about the local area, learn the language and have a great time. I hope to go on a wwoofing holiday through europe when i graduate high school (a bit different to most kid going to the gold coast and getting drunk!).

Not really much info in this post, but hope my little info helped.

Raych'll
@raychll
13 years ago
22 posts

Hey Aya, check out this blog its from a former soviet citizen who is warning americans of the similarities between soviet russia before its collapse and the current us trends. admittedly, it's got nothing to do with wwoof but he's got different ideas about self sufficiency & is an interesting read at the very least

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
13 years ago
409 posts

link to blog?

Aya Heartright
@aya-heartright
13 years ago
91 posts

Thank you so much I am def. showing that to my husband. Yeah, we are fucked but of course no one wants to accept it. Thinking about putting some money into silver but that's what everyone is doing and I'm sort of weary that it's in a bubble... but if the dollar really does crash then precious metals are going to skyrocket even more.

Raych'll
@raychll
13 years ago
22 posts

yeah, I also worry about the state of our country and what can be done to protect ourselves. personally i think silvers a pretty alright bet since it's a commonly used metal and should hold some value especially if, like you mentioned, there is a crash. but you know theres always that small problem that you can't eat silver in an emergency :) i really like the ideas orlov has- he's inspired me and my bf into looking into sailboats here in this coastal town ive found myself stuck in. they're a much cheaper way to own a "house" but its great since that one can get the hell outta dodge whennecessary (plus no fuel required!) for a couple like us in their mid 20s it seems unrealistic to think i'll ever afford a regular house, and i dontparticularlywant one anyway. just wish one of us knew how to sail! i hope that you too find some inspiration in his blog.-one love-

Circle Dancer
@circle-dancer
12 years ago
121 posts

I did it here in the states... North Carolina. The area was beautiful (near chapel hill) but honestly, the experience wasn't quite what I was hoping for... things were very disorganized (no one seemed sure what we were supposed to be doing every day) and the owner drank a lot and things were just...unclear. I felt pretty uncomfortable and ended up leaving after a week. But the other people who were there were nice and I had some beautiful and fun experiences while I was there... overall I'm glad I did it. If I did it again, I'd probably take a little more time picking the place to make sure it would meet my needs.

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form