Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

modern primitives, returning to a living with nature lifestyle

Aurora Borealis
@aurora-borealis
14 years ago
34 posts
I totally agree with you and it breaks my heart in so many ways to see how far we've strayed from natural existence. We're not only hurting Mother Earth, but we're hurting ourselves and those around us tremendously.
updated by @aurora-borealis: 07/23/15 03:38:35PM
jahLotusSweetestLuhv
@jahlotussweetestluhv
13 years ago
1 posts
Well lets seeeverythingyou said about Natural living sums up most of myviewon asuccessfulfuture, indeed i would be willing to learn an inspire all ideas involved in a more Naturalsustainableliving. I really agree i think the yurt an tipi is amazing, :) an well If you provided the land to set forth building a yurt or tipi with acommunityI would make all efforts to help build them an provide myexcellence in acreativeview:) even eco organic Gardens! :) An i would also say" i think we have some good land out here in the hills but i just dont like the cold to much: :) therefore that pic you have of the yurt is pretty amazing :) even with all that snow .
Zephyr Elf
@zephyr-elf
13 years ago
7 posts
I thoroughly enjoy this topic :)I don't know if I could 'fully' call mysElf a Modern Primitive, but I follow the lifestyle quite closely. I don't drive, and believe in walking/owning a bike is the way to go. I'm a vegan, and grow most of my own produce/cook my own food, dreaded my own hair + am a 'shampoo free' girl :)I also am quite heavily involved in the modification side of it- I recently split my tongue in my coming of age ritual for my 21st (not personally- I had a modification artist do it for me), have large stretched earlobes and septum which are all symbols of gaining wisdom + strength, which is really appropriate for me :)I would really love to give living in a TiPi a go- I don't know how I would go about doing so in Austrralia as winter is on its way, but I am looking forward to living in a forest in a tent which is what I am planning for summer! :D
Thundersquall
@thundersquall
13 years ago
235 posts
Bro you seem to be the only one in this topic that thinks like me. The world has progressed, and while some of us can attempt to relive the ancient past, it is a hollow sort of endeavour. Who among us would willingly bathe in a freezing mountain stream every day instead of a steaming hot shower? Very, very few i would wager. It is easy to say, far tougher to do. Nature is beatiful, but much more unforgiving then four walls and a roof. I find the occasional camping trip up into the mountains is more then enough to remind me of what i am missing, but also what need not be missed, at least in our day and age.

Maxe said:

I have often thought about something similar to this topic, but I'm thinking like..where!?

My local climate - too cold for this lifestyle to really be enjoyable 6 out of 12 months...but nature is really good here, no animal that can hurt you or anything.

I've always been attracted to the amazon area, but these countries are overrun with druglords, guerillas and paramilitary right wing groups....and critters that can hurt you, maybe the dream fades a bit after your first snake bite 200miles from antidote.

Also, is there really anywhere in the world left where you don't have to 'own' the land? (ridiculous concept)

I'm also thinking maybe the time has passed for this lifestyle and us who dream of this need to take it into this century instead of trying to live like people did 1000 years ago....like a mix of both worlds..whether that be the toilets you speak of or solar powered internet or whatever =)

Thundersquall
@thundersquall
13 years ago
235 posts
That and if we could talk to ancient ancestors having to draw their only warmth from that of a fire, they would likely tell us, "This just sucks, go back to your central heating." Grass always seems greener then it is on the other side of the fence.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

no they wouldnt they had an intimate relationship to nature and would not want to be distanced from it at all

after all part of theyre spirituality would have they go...away from the fire into the elements without anytying no food no clothes nothing and just be one with nature enduring the elements.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

in fact just the way theyd build a fire differes from the way youd build 1 today because of the intioimate relationship to nature theyd build a very tiny fire just a lil handful of sticks and huddle over it vwery close today we build huge bonfires stand way way back and burn hundreds of pounds of wood.. ofcourse ppl sghould go back look at how wastefull we are look at how much trash you generate every damn week we cant go on living the way were living our modern convemiences and comforts are destroying everything we kove

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

windbag away that was very well said

ive always lived in a babylon box and suffered massuve sleep deprivation always having tv music computer electronic stimulatuion but the mind gone blank for hours and i cant sleep

i go out in the woods no tv no electronic mind blanking noise and the fire provides hopurs of entertainment stimulating the mind to wander and explore i crawl into my tent and sleep soundly even with raging drums shaking the earth beneath my back instead of sleeping 2-4 hours ill sleep 12 or more haha (catching up on the babylon drain)

i feel more alive when i have more life around me

when the wind is the music the fire the movies the critters scurrying by my video games

i love waking up knowing that grumpy ol rattlesnake that lives by my tent will be waitting to greet me when i crawl out the door

i love the lil surprises that await you every day

i love how much better food tasates when cooked over a fire stired with a stick

ah and the pure beauty of the stars when the nearest lightbulb is a hundred miles away

when in the city theres a constant loud hummmm chaotic noise you accept as silence its deafening roar that goes unoticed.. in the woods the silence is real the tiniest sounds are so clear and britght

it is a romantic life to live so free and in touch but the romance is with the universe itself the stars can wrap around you conforting you omn ther darkest night

irs funnty but in the wilderness even the tiniest flash light seems like such an intrusion blinding you to the beaurty wrapped in the darkness surrounding you ..sure at times it helps to see whats ahead of you but almost always id rather let the darkness become light by adjustuing my eyes rather then use a artificial light sourse

btw theres a reeeeally good chance ill have alotta land in the mountains very soon and will have teeppeee space for anyone who wants to drop by

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

haaa good point

in the wilderness u get in shape walking through the woods carying wood and water living keeps u in excelent shape in babylon u sit on the couch in front of the tv eatting bags of chips needing the tv to remind you that your gaining weight and gtting unhealthy so you rush off to buy super weight gain powder go to another babylon boxto spend hours walking but going nowhere..lifting things that do nothing useful but go up and down you spend money to pick something up and put it down pick it up and put it down

and this is progress? modern conveniences?

in the woods u wanna sit by your hippire tv (fire) youd want something to sit on so you pick up a rock or tree stump and move it so even the act of being lazy sitting around is excersize too

babylon systenm you work 50 weeks a year just hoping for 2 weeksvacation in the woods

ypu spend 100,000 on a 40 foot motorhome to bring your kitchen tv shower all the modern apartment dwelling conveniebnnces with you (it only took working 5 years to save fir that)

then in the woods if your a real camper u might cook over a fire..using srtore bought charcoal store bought hibachi gril

ignoring the fact that your standing on sticks surroubnded by rocks that all come free

you run your generator all night to power yoir fridge lights tv you take the humm of the city to the woods

and you think wow what a great vacation i finaly escaped my box for 2 weeks only to take a box with you

if your livin in a tipi andgetting tired of whereyou are yiu roll uop the tipi and move it you can move your location every week and be on a permenant vacation

food..when your in the woods..your standing on food surrounded by food 1/2 the weeds your trampling are edible and delicios

modern conveniences u go tta drive your gass guzzler to a store buy a pre packaged over processed meal drive home fire up the microwave zap it and make it taste like rubber

thats not much more convinient then reaching down picking a leaf anbd eatting it

i really fail to see how convinient modsern conveniences are when you have to spend all day every day working youir asses off to adfford them

hell the roof over your head wont even be your roof for 30 years you spend working to pay it off

your whole life almost your a slave to paying for the priveledge of a roof..a car..basic "necesities" that only serve to make it easier to go back and forth to work to pay for the thinfs thart get you to work and baxck..

hippiejo the 5 years in the tipi how many double shidfts did u have to do to survive and keep your tipi from being foreclosed on?

hippyjo said:

As always I love your mind. Yes I remember coming to sleep in electricity house and hearing the buzz and not being able to sleep. We use to call the fire abo tv. THere are so many way to see and live a reality. I feel this stripped down reality, missing all its layers ofnoise creators, give us more freedom. Being less complicate it gives more. You know it cold get wood! Then you are free to be yourself. Here inBabylonI am cold so I work to make money to pay for gas so the gas man has money, buy a furnace andthermostat,pay andelectricso thethermostatworks feed the electric company bla bla bla. Some wear getting lost in the process. I love getting wood and burning it! Here I need to make time to find myself and even getexercise. THen I pay someone for theopportunityto do those things. There is a cosmic joke this is the American joke it is funny when seen from a far. I know when I am touching the nature world around me I am touching myself. It is beautiful and yes that is god for sleep.

We have a teepee still in the back yard also. And yes visitors are welcome!!

soaringeagle said:

windbag away that was very well said

ive always lived in a babylon box and suffered massuve sleep deprivation always having tv music computer electronic stimulatuion but the mind gone blank for hours and i cant sleep

i go out in the woods no tv no electronic mind blanking noise and the fire provides hopurs of entertainment stimulating the mind to wander and explore i crawl into my tent and sleep soundly even with raging drums shaking the earth beneath my back instead of sleeping 2-4 hours ill sleep 12 or more haha (catching up on the babylon drain)

i feel more alive when i have more life around me

when the wind is the music the fire the movies the critters scurrying by my video games

i love waking up knowing that grumpy ol rattlesnake that lives by my tent will be waitting to greet me when i crawl out the door

i love the lil surprises that await you every day

i love how much better food tasates when cooked over a fire stired with a stick

ah and the pure beauty of the stars when the nearest lightbulb is a hundred miles away

when in the city theres a constant loud hummmm chaotic noise you accept as silence its deafening roar that goes unoticed.. in the woods the silence is real the tiniest sounds are so clear and britght

it is a romantic life to live so free and in touch but the romance is with the universe itself the stars can wrap around you conforting you omn ther darkest night

irs funnty but in the wilderness even the tiniest flash light seems like such an intrusion blinding you to the beaurty wrapped in the darkness surrounding you ..sure at times it helps to see whats ahead of you but almost always id rather let the darkness become light by adjustuing my eyes rather then use a artificial light sourse

btw theres a reeeeally good chance ill have alotta land in the mountains very soon and will have teeppeee space for anyone who wants to drop by

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

the only modern conveniece i like to have with me is my camera but even that i have to constantly remond myself to use it cause the beauty around you etches into youer mind in a way the camera cant capture

also when you live close to the land you tune in like never before

in the city how many times u go somewhere hoping to see a freind and even tho your in the same room in the same building u dont meet up

1 time i went to the forest a month b4 anyone else i had no directions at all (followed a bird for a awhilke who led me to a clue) after a month wandering this 800 square mile forrest i parked in a spot the size of a regular parking soace waitted there 4 days and everyine i was looking for showed up where i was..pure instinct led me to a 4x8 foot spot in an 8000 square mile wilderness that was exactly where i wanted to be

its like the wind whispers you directions

hippyjo said:

I did notwork doubles. Most winter I took double tiplequadruplevacation. About 3 of the winters we totallyhibernated. going to bed around 7 waking at 9 or so. By spring we were totally ready to start moving, getting ready for next winter. Going to townoccasionalto wash clothes as it was very hard to keep up with diapers wheneverything,including the diapers are frozen solid. You could really feel thecyclerflow of nature and be human in that part of the world.

We were camping up in Shasta one year and had the dude you aretalkingpull in. THank god hisapplianceswerepropane. It was like a sitcom listen to these guy bitchin about not having TV reception and trying to piont thier dish or whatever it was to get the reception. "Left Left No back right there no no oh shit piont it higher" Good thing I was in a good space and could just laugh. It is amazing how close the three stoogies are to real life at times. The kicker was we were on the edge of abeautifulwilderness. We went for hikes and swam in the lake and came back to camp at night and here are these guy still trying to get tv reception.

The thing I love aboutconnivencestore is the name. They are anything butconvenient. Over priced, lack friendliness, need to beg to use the bathroom."We have no bathroom-Oh what do you use-get out of here freak". It isstrangewhen life is so complicate that one would need find a convient way to shop for thenecessitieslike snickers bars and beer.

Personal the most convient thing in my life is when I am far way somewhere quite without noen and there are no convient stores. AAAAAAHHHHH Peace.

--

/ 8

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form