dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Can't get rid of GUNK! Help :(

Dee2
@dee2
11 years ago
25 posts

Hi all,

I've read the super clean dreads thread but I'm still having issues with gunk inside my dreads. My hair is brown and you can see the little white/grayish stuff (I suppose is lint and a combination of other things). I try to get it out but I can see it's all tangled through out the dreads.

Any advice/idea on how to get rid of this stuff besides brushing it out? I wouldn't really care except that sometimes it's very visible and a little embarrassing to see gross stuff in there.

Thank you!

D.

updated by @dee2: 02/14/15 09:02:46AM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Dee, it sounds like you might have a residue build up in your hair. Use Neutrogena Anti Residue Shampoo to get it out. This should only be used 3-4 times a year. What type of water do you have? Hard water does not work well with many dread shampoos & baking soda washes. That is why we recommend the DreadlockShampoo as it works in all water types. If yours is hard, the water must be boiled first, then slowly poured out to leave the minerals in the bottom of pot and use the poured out water to mix the BS in. What are you washing with? What is your water type? Did you add any gels or anything else? Let us know so we can help you better....peace

updated by @the-barrellady: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

if its lint not gunk then u can pick at it carefully with tweezers or someone said use a old toothbrush and brush at the linty areas

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Sorry, I was not sure what you mean by other stuff that you called gunk, thought you meant it was gooey stuff. If it is just lint related, then here is how you can avoid some of it

• use a high quality towel, and one the same color as your hair, dreads love towel lint, so this way it is not as noticeable if it is brown
  • tams made from yarn will leave behind little balls in the dreads, so will scarves, so use wool or even cotton or hemp
  • peace
Dee2
@dee2
11 years ago
25 posts

I don't think it's JUST lint. It's probably residue from soap (Dr. Bronner's and dread shampoos) and dirt and other things. I thought it was mold a long time ago but to me it doesn't smell like it, I don't think.

I tried cleaning it with tweezers and toothbrush but it's too hard cause it's sort of sticky, like residue consistency. Here are some pics and if you guys have any ideas of what I could do, thank you!

taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

The little white dots are just root bulbs and/or split ends. We all have them to some degree...it is just that we have darker hair so they stand out more. You can soak your dreads in a tea made from black tea and rosemary...it will temporarily dye it. Makes it a bit less noticeable.

Not sure what that is around the base of that small loop/bump. Did you use wax or rubber bands anytime in the past?

Sweet,
@sweet
11 years ago
133 posts

Exactly what i was going to say, towels - what type and colour towels r you using, get a good quality towel that doesn't lint up in the wash and the same colour of your dreads being brown, because even black will show up in brown dreads but not as mush as white. Do what SE suggested and get smone to tweezer out the bigger bits that r there, and yes a clarifying shamoo wont do any harm, it will get out the smaller bits. But i really do think the main cause is the towels, also think about thing you do in your lifestyle, do you work in a fish and chip shop with spatts of fat, think about anything you do or put on your dreads. Another real good suggestion is - if your dreads r quite mature what you can do is really massage some conditioner into the dreads and give one hell of a good rinse and then maybe do another shampoo, that will really help what is in there slide out, but you really have to rinse very well to get all conditioner out and whatever comes along with it, do that several times when washing your dreads, but no more than 3 times in a row or your dreads will start to loosen with the conditioner.
the Barrellady said:

Sorry, I was not sure what you mean by other stuff that you called gunk, thought you meant it was gooey stuff. If it is just lint related, then here is how you can avoid some of it

• use a high quality towel, and one the same color as your hair, dreads love towel lint, so this way it is not as noticeable if it is brown
  • tams made from yarn will leave behind little balls in the dreads, so will scarves, so use wool or even cotton or hemp
  • peace
Sweet,
@sweet
11 years ago
133 posts

Sweet, said:

Exactly what i was going to say, towels - what type and colour towels r you using, get a good quality towel that doesn't lint up in the wash and the same colour of your dreads being brown, because even black will show up in brown dreads but not as mush as white. Do what SE suggested and get smone to tweezer out the bigger bits that r there, and yes a clarifying shamoo wont do any harm, it will get out the smaller bits. But i really do think the main cause is the towels, also think about thing you do in your lifestyle, do you work in a fish and chip shop with spatts of fat, think about anything you do or put on your dreads. Another real good suggestion is - if your dreads r quite mature what you can do is really massage some conditioner into the dreads and give one hell of a good rinse and then maybe do another shampoo, that will really help what is in there slide out, but you really have to rinse very well to get all conditioner out and whatever comes along with it, do that several times when washing your dreads, but no more than 3 times in a row or your dreads will start to loosen with the conditioner. Yes also what tams scarves etc r you wearing to leave lint?
the Barrellady said:

• peace
Dee2
@dee2
11 years ago
25 posts

Thank you everyone! I think I'm going to do the avc/bs rinse just in case and see how that goes. I have a slight gut feeling it may be mold, so just in case. I don't want that stuff in there.

And I don't wear any wool stuff in my head, no wax or products, and I'm a little hesitant on using conditioner as I feel this may add to the residue.

Thank you so much!!!

taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

Add Lavender to your mix. It kills mold.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form