Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

my mature dreadlocks are breaking off??

Sara Meadows
@sara-meadows
11 years ago
9 posts
hi everyone! so i've had my dreads for over 2 1/2 years now (they're to the middle of my back), and they've locked up very well. i started with twist n rip and used baking soda/acv washes. recently quite a few my dreads have started getting weak spots in the middle, and the part thats closer to the tips will start to almost ball up? then eventually that weak spot will turn to loose hair holding on a section of my dread and then i can just pull it off.i had a job where i had to put my hair in a bun everyday, could that have contributed to this?any help is appreciated :)
updated by @sara-meadows: 01/13/15 09:51:39PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Absolutely a bun everyday would cause weak points in your dreads. If you have not used a hook or palm rolled, then this would be the cause. Even scrunchies are not recommended for dreads, as a continual pressure point on one area will damage it. Anything tight on dreads will cause damage, that is why many will tie their dreads up with another section of dreads, no pressure points. I feel for you and your dread loss, it is such a journey to get there.

Hopefully for the future you will be able to let them loose, or wear a tam of sorts :(

Peace

Sara Meadows
@sara-meadows
11 years ago
9 posts
aw man! well i've tried to stop wearing buns as much as possible and just take two dreads and tie them down when i need my hair out of the way :p any idea of how to fix it or should i just let them be?
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

No fixing it, what's done is done. Those pieces will grow again, so chin up. The only other thing you can do, which is not a fix, is to wrap them with hemp. It will keep them together, but it won't reattach them. ..Peace

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

maybe switch from the bs to the dreadlockshampoo

my dreads have definately gotten healthier and stronger since

i lost the ends many times over the years but haent in a long time

probly since i started using them

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags