Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hey newby hear!

ems
@ems
14 years ago
15 posts
Hey all, im emma and im propairing my hair for dreads, which will hopefully happen within the next few days.Ive wanted dreads for about 5 years but due to one thing or another e.g. jobs..i havent been able to go for it but finally its happening and im excited as hell!!!i was just wondering if anyone had any tips for me befor i go ahead! i have decided to go all natural usin no wax etc and im going to use Dr Bronners soap as it seems a good option!im goin to back comb and ive been told to use a crotchet needel to pull in the loose ends is this correct anyone have any advice on this? my gf is been very kind and agreed to do my dreading for me so what ever is easiest and more natural the better. any certain techniques and how often would you recommend washing dreads? thanks all happy dreading! x
updated by @ems: 02/14/15 09:48:28AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
dont crochet..if u crochet u break airs causing more loose hairs that need to be croceceted, crocheded dreads look woven not dreaded, and perforated dreads are weeak and more easily broken..backcombing causes dammage too, if you want the most natural way..go natural..dont make dreads aolow dreads to happen..can be slower but is best way..if you arent willing to wait twist and rip is way better ten backcombing looks better earluy on and is less dammaging (and painful)wash at least weekly, the baking soda metods betterr ten bronners but bronners is fine just dilute it..12 times nore water then soaploose hairs should be left alone..they get sucked in, or become new dreads, tey also protect the scalp from sunburnif u go natural..stop combing and conditioning, youll see it section itself first then begin to knot, keep seperating sections from eacother so they dont comnbine into 1 dread..sometimes takes weeks..sometimes months but dreads will appear on theyre own with no effort (how mine started)wearing a wool tam elps so does sea salt sprays or dips in the ocean

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
ems
@ems
14 years ago
15 posts
Thanks soaringeagel ill take your advice on board!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
welcome to the site and happy dreading

--
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
First off: WELCOME!!!*ahem*Second: Please be aware that everything that you see here is what has worked for US. We can give you awesome suggestions as to how to start your journey, but ultimately the choice is up to you. You know what your hair and body is like, so run with it! Listen to yourself! Because ultimately, you will know what's good for you! We will do our best though to answer any tough technical questions you might have!Now that I have that out of the way, I have a few things for you to think about in your upcoming dready journey. Natural is totally the way to go. I mean just stop combing, no more conditioner or ANY conditioning products, and let your hair run rampant. However, that was a bit too... unorganized for me. Personally, as a working woman, I advise the twist and rip method. What I did was take a shower using my anti-residue shampoo (my first choice was Neutrogena's anti-residue treatment, but I quickly moved on to a few handmade soaps and dr. bronner's BAR soap due to the crazy hard water in California, and how hard it is to dilute the liquid enough to keep your hair squeaky clean and not feeling filmy.) and then got out of the shower and towel dried my hair. I then took note of what kind of sections my wet hair was forming and proceeded to take each section, split it in half, twist, then pushing the hair back together I pulled it apart a few times ( I know it sounds confusing, there should be a few videos and better described tutorials here, or you can just ask me if you're really confused!)then continued that way until the entire strand was knotted (twist, push together and rip, twist again, ect) This way, I had a less damaging base to my dreads (as opposed to back-combing) that was a bit more organized (as I do work for Petsmart and have to keep my hair 'neat' ). In the weeks after that I would suggest washing your hair every few days ( I could go no longer than 3 at first, but can easily go 4 or 5 now) with a good baking soda wash, and vinegar rinse ( I know the vinegar part sounds awful, but if you're diluting it properly then there's really no smell at all left in your hair!) Then after you have a few months under your belt, you can start scrubbing again if you like (though the bs and vinegar method leave your hair really clean with no scrubbing).As far as other maintenance is concerned, just make sure that you're pulling your dreads apart from each other (it'll make a snapping or popping sound as you break the hairs) to keep from having one massive dread taking up the entirety of the back of your head... unless that's what you're aiming for! Aside from that, just let them hang free! And lots of love (get everyone involved!! touching and rolling around on them are awesome for dready growth!); love is 100% necessary for proper dread growth. They just don't form right unless you're living your life, loving yourself and almost completely ignoring them! Seriously though, don't do any extra maintenance. No palm rolling, no crocheting, no going to a salon, nothing. It's all just complicating things!If you have any other questions please feel free to ask! We're all really friendly, so there's no need to be shy!~Faelwynn~
ems
@ems
14 years ago
15 posts
i didnt realise that back combing actually does that much damage to your hair!... thanks for the advice Faelwynn.....the baking soda and vinegar how does that work? and does it have to be a certain type of vinegar?
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
SE has an awesome thread on the entire thing, recipe and all! It's super cheap, and from what I've seen any kind of vinegar works, just make sure it's not expired ( ..yeah... I'm speaking from experience... it won't cause the baking soda to fizz and run out of your hair if it's expired... itchy scalp for WEEKS). SE says that Apple Cider Vinegar (otherwise known as ACV) is the best, but I haven't been able to find any... so I have no idea! I've just been using white vinegar. ems said:
i didnt realise that back combing actually does that much damage to your hair!... thanks for the advice Faelwynn.....the baking soda and vinegar how does that work? and does it have to be a certain type of vinegar?
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
I think it's a bit more complicated than that. You have a few options you see...Going and having someone create dreads for you will get you dreads in a hurry, but will also take all the fun and personal growth out of the equation (in my humble opinion{IMHO}).Backcombing and tons of maintenance will also get you dreads in a hurry, but if you're so worried about maintaining your dreads, where's the time to live life and marvel at the dreading process (also a fun sucker IMHO). Plus, back-combed dreads will eventually start to loosen and then dread back up on it's own making the process really painful, and almost useless as the knots you form fall out and reform anyhow xP.Twist and rip dreads aren't so instant, but are a good, less damaging alternative to back-combing. You get what look like a few defined braid-looking-dreads that will twist and form into nice little locks. You do have to give them a few months, but they still get there with time and patience. (again, check my pictures for a week by week type outline of what twist and rip dreads are like)Going natural is the real McCoy. It takes months, if not years of patience and just letting your hair be, but as you can tell from SE's pictures, it's well worth the wait.Please note that all these methods have gone from the most stressful (sometimes painful and expensive) but tidy, to the less stressful (painful and expensive) but pretty messy. Take a look at some of my recent pictures and you'll understand what I mean. I'm only about 5 months in as we speak, and am just really getting some nice dread growth all over. But the adventure has been thrilling and enlightening to say the least. rastavanny said:
what type of dreads do you want?...thick,,thin,,neat or messy?
ems said:
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
your hair is covered in tiny scalelike cuticles, combing normaly smoothed them out, combing backwards against the grain rips ekm up so the hair shaft has a barbed texture, they can be ripped off too causing the weaker inner shaft to be exposed (cause of split ends..but, not just on te ends, entire hair) additionaly its very agressive and painfukl, often causing ALOT of hair to be totaly ripped out at the rootsb4 dreading..prepare your hair with nutragena daily clarifying, u seem like a goth type who maybe used hairsprays conditioners gels and such alot? that daily clarifying will remove all the buildup and restore the hair to its natural cleanness ..perfect for dreadingfae is right, for some even though natural is best, you may ave reasons to make, niot grow dreads..and twist n rips way better then backcombingthere are vids here and lots of help availible..the process seems confusing at 1st, but once u figure it out its easy, fast, less painful ande damaging..and looks way better (no goofy sideshow bob sausages sticking straight up)no mattrer the way its started..all dreasding happens natualy..so be patient..dont panic..it loosen it lumps it actrs crazy..but..thats how dreads dread..dont think it needs fixing..love the processyou'll learn to enjoy doing nothing immensely..backcombers tend to panic on day 1 and post "help my dreads are..." posts...almost always te thing thery panic over is the hair dreading..lol..loops..zig zags..flatness,,shrinking..they believe backcombing is dreading..thhe only step and final stage so wen real dreading begins thhey panicthose wo go natural almost never panic unless its taking way longer then expected. instead they fall in love with everything backcombers freak out iover..its a much more enjoyable way to gobut if u twuist n rip then embrace the natural process from teree and dont panic you'll be in good sape and enjoy your journeyoops edit forgot your l;ast questionbaking soda, mix some in water ( some use spoonfuls to a galon, probly good way for very young dreads) i use 1/3-3/4 cup (depending on scalp conditions) in a gallon..stir well then pour over head (u can add erbal oils for different needs, see threads like super clean dreads), i wait awhile, 10 min oir so thhen vinagarmost use apple cidar vinagar, but if u ever suspect mold (8musty smell) use a much less diluted white vinagar (3/4 vinagar 1/4 water, add 30 or so drops lavander oil, soak longer, even make into a spray to leave in)with apple cider vinagar, a few capfuls is enough..under 1/8 of a cup ui guesss..to a gallon..pour over head..vinagar and baking soda cause a chenmical reactioin..foaming up and restoring ph ballance, leavibng hair extra soft and scalp clean as can be..in early weeks u can skip vinagar sometimes, but u may get itchyu can add sea salt if yu want too to help it dreadater the vinagar (leave on just a minute or 2) rinse..rinse rincewhen they dry they feel so tgood..cuddly

--
labmofgod
@labmofgod
14 years ago
94 posts
Welcome and helloBefore you try and force dread your hair just make sure that you have a full understanding of how to do it.if your gonna try and twist and rip... which is the way i suggest you go as well try and do a little research first find some of the threads that describe the methods of dreading also watch the video that i will be providing at the bottom of my post. It is of another one of the dreadlockssite.com members showing you exactly how you need to go about twisting and ripping. Have fun on your dread journey and be mindful of others and above all else dont use wax keep your hair clean and try not to crochet it will damage your hair and weaken your dreads considerably also be patient. Time is the most important part of the dreading journey. http://www.dreadlockssite.com/video/my-twist-and-rip-method
 / 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form