Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Thinking about getting dreads in a salon but the process is so expensive?

Mugen
@mugen
11 years ago
2 posts
I have a huge afro but it is a pain and/or expensive to get people to put it in styles for me and i looked at getting dreads because i heard their is little maintenance and i think they look cool but i called a local salon and they said 55 dollars to do it,is that the typical price for getting them put in and would it be cheaper to try and learn the procedure myself?
updated by @mugen: 01/13/15 09:50:09PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

dalons are the worse mistakle you can ever make dreads are dp-free

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

theprocedure is

stop preventing them
let them happen
its that simple

--
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Salons are notorious for destroying locks. Unfortunately, beauty schools don't generally teach how to grow healthy locks. So the people that do them at salons charge you for monstrosities that are chock full of wax, gels, or creams. or they use techniques like crocheting, interlocking, felting, or perms. All of them arehorrendouslydamaging.

Locks form from knots getting out of control. If you just let your hair knot and tangle, you've got dreadlocks. You don't have to pay for that, do you? Nope. Just don't brush.

The only thing that you need to pay for is a good lock friendly shampoo that doesn't leave residue. Dreadlockshampoo.com sells the best shampoos. If you have soft water, Dr. Bronners is good. So is the Baking soda/apple cider vinegar wash

Mugen
@mugen
11 years ago
2 posts

Think i'll aviod salons thanks guys but is it really that easy just don't brush my hair i've done that already(not trying to get dreads) and it just makes my hair nappy and dry.

Baba Fats said:

Salons are notorious for destroying locks. Unfortunately, beauty schools don't generally teach how to grow healthy locks. So the people that do them at salons charge you for monstrosities that are chock full of wax, gels, or creams. or they use techniques like crocheting, interlocking, felting, or perms. All of them arehorrendouslydamaging.

Locks form from knots getting out of control. If you just let your hair knot and tangle, you've got dreadlocks. You don't have to pay for that, do you? Nope. Just don't brush.

The only thing that you need to pay for is a good lock friendly shampoo that doesn't leave residue. Dreadlockshampoo.com sells the best shampoos. If you have soft water, Dr. Bronners is good. So is the Baking soda/apple cider vinegar wash

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Nappy is what you want. That's how they start out. it takes, on average, a full year for locks to mature. You do have to separate the sections, though. Otherwise it'll just knot into 1 giant lock. So separate them into the size sections you want your locks to be. Ignore how big the section of hair looks. Focus on the root section size. When your locks mature, they will be that size. 1 inch sections is typically the largest most people want. Any bigger and you run into drying time problems.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

washing the right way is important it sure is that easy you knowhow many say 'dreads make you look homeless" well do you think a homeless person paid 800 dollars to get dreads? (u thought 50 was expensive many charge up to 800)

ofcourse homless dreads probly arent too clean but all u need to get dreads like these isto wash properly

and give it time

--

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
JXhippielovinpeace
@jxhippielovinpeace
11 years ago
23 posts

Ayy. Actually, if your hair is naturally nappy ("african-type" hair), it should only take about 6-8 months. I have the opposite type of hair (which IS supposed to take about a FULL YEAR, plus some probably) to lock and also mature. I'm pretty sure it also depends on how often you wash, what you use, etc. I wouldn't make generalizations (time wise especially) like that.

Baba Fats said:

Nappy is what you want. That's how they start out. it takes, on average, a full year for locks to mature. You do have to separate the sections, though. Otherwise it'll just knot into 1 giant lock. So separate them into the size sections you want your locks to be. Ignore how big the section of hair looks. Focus on the root section size. When your locks mature, they will be that size. 1 inch sections is typically the largest most people want. Any bigger and you run into drying time problems.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form