Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

One Month Later...

Isabel Alvez
@isabel-alvez
11 years ago
8 posts
ok so i've been dreading for a about a month or sowhen i started i came to this site for help when i thought my dread dream was gonna be impossible because of the way i had began my journey; back combing.i got very helpful feedback from a few people and was told to not panic if & when my dreads partially and or completely fell apart.sooooo far some of them have been doing so both from the scalp & from the endssome of them have become sort of wavy but still knotted upand at the scalp my hair has kinda just began get tangled togetheri wash it regularly. not everyday but every other day or two.however i have been using regular shampoo because i kinda have just been procrastinating you can say.so basically what i was trying to ask waswhat are the do's and dont's that i really should start following?&& how do i fix the tangling happening?
updated by @isabel-alvez: 01/13/15 09:49:34PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

1 srtart using a dread friendly shampoo like www.dredlockshampoo.com but 1st use a clarifying or anti residue to remove buildup
seperare by pulling dreads away fron eachothe

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Isabel Alvez
@isabel-alvez
11 years ago
8 posts
thank you very much :)
Laura Earle
@laura-earle
11 years ago
233 posts

Adding to what SE posted...it's very important to choose a soap/shampoo that is classified as "dread-friendly." I learned that the hard way! Picked up some Neutrogena anti-residue shampoo the other day and tried washing my 7-month dreads with it. Even though I diluted it as I would Dr Bronners (12 parts water to one part soap), it still undid about 2-3 months of progress. :( Many shampoos (most anti-res shampoos as well) contain sodium laureth sulfate (SLS), which seems to be a lathering/detangling agent. It also fades hair dye. Icky stuff.

GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
11 years ago
393 posts

The things that can be said about letting your dreadlocks form are:

1. keep your hair "washed" on a regular basis.

2. Separate/pull dreadlocks away from each other. Doing this will give you some choice on how thick the sections are.

3. Go outside and enjoy the wind. Dreadlocks form because the wind creates the tangles which become matted knots and ultimately form your dreadlocks.

For any ignorant remarks you may receive tell people "Dreadlocks are the ultimate end of wind blown hair." They'll shut up fast.

Call Tucker
@call-tucker
11 years ago
27 posts

the "dread-friendly shampoo" is most important.

also remember to separate as needed

As for the tangling...that's good! that's progress. dreads go through stages of tangling and looping, where they really do their own thing. After many months, these loops and zags end up shrinking the the dread, however it becomes tighter and more 'ropelike' looking. Check out peoples photos from the beginning of their dread journey to around the 1 year mark on this website and youl see what I am talking about. Good Luck!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form