dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Thin natural dreads!

Jonathan Poll
@jonathan-poll
11 years ago
31 posts

Hey all,

As you may have seen before, I started just over a month ago doing natural dreads (my parents dont want me to dread, so if its slow they wont realise as much!).

Problem is, the natural sections are too thin... I would like them thicker, this is the thickness I want (I want the same lenght too, but of course I have to wait for that!):

http://muitapimenta.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/dreads.jpg

One of my friends with dreads told me I should twist every seperation clockwise. Not too tight, but a bit. He didnt tell me that because they are thin, he just said it helps, and I have to say it has "defined" the sections a bit more, but they are too thin...

Any tips on making them thicker? Should I just twist 2 thin sections together?

I have a few "dreads" (probably not knotted enough to be called dreads lol) that are very thin, but VERY tight/compact, only about 2mm in diameter, but they seem to be locking very tightly.

What should I do to thicken them? Check out picutre after I washed them, you can get an idea of the thickness.

Thanks a lot, Jonathan

updated by @jonathan-poll: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

ever tgwist them thatzs a very vbad idea but they thicken as theyt mature the pic u posted arent very tgick aT ALL

but twisting will make them thinner and thin your hair

and make you bald

they are fine just leave em be but if u later wanbt thixcker just dont seperate

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

srry meant never twist

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jonathan Poll
@jonathan-poll
11 years ago
31 posts

oh ok thanks :)

I actually used the wrong shampoo, I used one that conditionned, this morning it was a mess, they were all buncy/soft/horrible! Washed them again, seems better!

JP

KnotLady
@knotlady
11 years ago
300 posts

i would say dont mess with them until yu have more time under your belt and then congo if you want because you think they are too thin now, but they get thicker with time. you dont wanna do it now and regret it later because you can congo, but you cant really separate them again once they grow together. twisting/rolling is pointless and what affect they might have is negatve. ive seen palm rolling have an affect, and it was f'in wierd looking lol

Patience
@patience
11 years ago
51 posts

Lots of my natural sections are very thin too - like yours but much longer! I agree that to start with thinner is better as later on it will be much easier to get some to congo than it would be split mature dreads. I'm just going to see how thick mine get as they mature and then decide how I feel about the size.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Patience. The mature dread will be as thick as where that section meets the scalp. The size of the scalp section will be the size the dread.

Patience said:

Lots of my natural sections are very thin too - like yours but much longer! I agree that to start with thinner is better as later on it will be much easier to get some to congo than it would be split mature dreads. I'm just going to see how thick mine get as they mature and then decide how I feel about the size.

Patience
@patience
11 years ago
51 posts

I've heard that but when I tried to see how big the scalp sections were I found that a lot of them overlap with each other - ie hair to all different dreads is growing all mixed up in the same area. I'd imagine that's pretty normal if you let it section naturally - especially as a lot of mine started dreading by tangling near the ends - so it's difficult to say how big they really are. I think I shall just have to wait and see!

the Barrellady said:

Hi Patience. The mature dread will be as thick as where that section meets the scalp. The size of the scalp section will be the size the dread.

Patience said:

melanie rose
@melanie-rose
11 years ago
177 posts
One way to help combine dreads if you want thicker ones is by using beads or wrapping in hemp. Welcome and dread on!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form