Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Chlorine, Swimming Pools, Etc

Kyle Nutter
@kyle-nutter
11 years ago
10 posts

Does chlorinated water have a negative effect on dreadlocks? I've had my locks for almost 2 years now, and I heard a long time ago that I shouldn't swim in a pool. It didn't really bother me because i prefer swimming in rivers, lakes, and oceans. Now, however, I have the chance to go to a water park for free lol

updated by @kyle-nutter: 01/13/15 09:45:37PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

it damages hair period but certain precautions can make it ok

1st soak em..i mean saturate em in fresh unchlorinated water 1st this will limmit how much chlorines absorbed

wash after..but not with baking soda! chlorines alkaline so is baking soda together they really screw your ph and i believe chlorine and baking soda reacte chemicaly too im not certain though

acv isnt a bads idea after tho

after wasahing the chlorine out that is

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

The water in pools are generally PH balanced. They can't let you in unless they have the balance right. I always soak the through with plain water and have a really really good rinse after.

Jose Kassai
@jose-kassai
10 years ago
38 posts
Oops, I just swam and then washed with baking soda and acv...

soaring eagle said:

it damages hair period but certain precautions can make it ok

1st soak em..i mean saturate em in fresh unchlorinated water 1st this will limmit how much chlorines absorbed

wash after..but not with baking soda! chlorines alkaline so is baking soda together they really screw your ph and i believe chlorine and baking soda reacte chemicaly too im not certain though

acv isnt a bads idea after tho

after wasahing the chlorine out that is

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

the baking soda us alkaline ointip of alkaline plus i think they chemicaly react un a way you dont want

--
Jose Kassai
@jose-kassai
10 years ago
38 posts
So what do I do now, SE? I cant afford to get dreadlocksshampoo products since im in brazil... Would doing one morre vinegar wash help? It doesnt look weird, just itches a lil...
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

yea yse just the vinager after swimming in chlorine

and to correct the ph of pool water comment above ..water ph should be a nutral 7 but chlorinated water in pools is never exactly ph ballanced its typicaly 7.2-7.4 or higher you want it as close to 7 as possible to not iritate the eyes too much

the higher the ph the more alkaline and the more it iritates the eyes

and the more damagingto the hair baking soda is 10.5 so much more alkaline add that to the 7.4 and uts too alkaline for the acv to adjust it back plus its just too alkaline in general so you can do acv alone or do acv 1st then bs then acv again

but really the best options to just use the shampoo if possible

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form