Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Rubber Bands

Xavier
@xavier
11 years ago
4 posts

What are some of the draw backs to using rubber bands in the beginning of the locking process? I dont have any rubber bands in now, but I've been thinking about using something to help tame some wild locs...any other suggestions besides rubber bands and obviously time? Thank you!!

updated by @xavier: 01/13/15 09:43:50PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

beads never bands

1. bands constrict creating weak spots
  2. after only days knots form around bands so when u remove them u undo progress
  3. in a wek they can get swallowed completely to be lost forever inside our dread and
  4. they can melt into a sticky gue u will never remove
  5. they can dry rot
  6. break into chunks leaving peices inside dreads
  7. cause dreads to break
  8. im only art 8 i think theres a few more i cant think of now
  9. they look stupid
  10. they slow not help the dreading
  11. did i meantion they can fget stuck inside youir dread forever and turn into a sticky mess? isnt that enough?
  12. you dont need em just time

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Michael Haines2
@michael-haines2
11 years ago
3 posts
I used rubber bands for the first week without problems, but at the same time SE is right 1 or 2 have gotten sucked into the dread. So I wouldn't recommend any longer then a week. Although I'm pretty lazy I don't do anything to my dreads not even palm roll. Just letting them live free.
melanie rose
@melanie-rose
11 years ago
177 posts
Micheal, you aren't letting them live free if your restricting them with bands of rubber!Its a terrible idea Xavier.Dread on:)
Michael Haines2
@michael-haines2
11 years ago
3 posts
Sure I am like I said I used them the first week now they do what they want.

melanie rose said:
Micheal, you aren't letting them live free if your restricting them with bands of rubber!

Its a terrible idea Xavier.
Dread on:)
Sarah Smile
@sarah-smile
11 years ago
43 posts

i've used hair ties a few times and always end up taking them out. Usually, my hair will form around the tie after just a day, and I'll have to cut it out. If it's not that stuck, though, I'll end up ripping some hair along with them. ...it's kinda like "one step forward, two steps back" in the end

JXhippielovinpeace
@jxhippielovinpeace
11 years ago
23 posts

I have SUPER fine Scandinavian-type hair (if we're gonna hair type..). Rubber bands have helped me LOADS with locking, by attaching a two strong spots to each other (with a REALLLLLy weak gap in the middle). I put them on a few hours after washing with non res dr. bronner's, slept in them for 2 days and removed them and my hair started locking together. From my (little) experience what makes rubber bands REALLY damaging is when you loop them too many times around your dreads, that's made for some pretty harsh weak spots, NO progress, and it IMPOSSIBLE (nearly) to cut them out (forget unloosing if they're too tight). Yes, they look silly but personally I don't think it's all THAT unnatural (and again not very harmful if using them the right way). My hair has a REALLY hard time locking, so I went out of my way to find light colored bands on amazon in bulk (since NOWHERE has bands for blonde hair). 2-3 days of looking silly really ain't that bad ;)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form