Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Untitled

Lola Deveraux
@lola-deveraux
12 years ago
4 posts
Hello,I am Lola. I've been only been locking my hair for a year, and I still feel like such a newbie! I'm currently in between stylists, and the process of learning (so I can make an informed decision) has definitely taught me that there is a lot to learn about this process. But it has been good. I would do it myself, but...I don't trust myself, haha. I'll probably switch to maintaining my own locs once they have fully locked.Not sure what else to say... Um...I love rock music, comic books, and learning pretty much anything I can.I think this site is really cool :)
updated by @lola-deveraux: 02/14/15 06:27:02AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

stop going to stylists they are only screwing you locks need no maintenance the fact that they arent locked after a year should be your clue

your wasting all your money and harming your dreads

nothing they do is right to do so tell us every single thing they did and used

we need to undo the harm they did

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lola Deveraux
@lola-deveraux
12 years ago
4 posts

My hair is actually almost locked. The ends are taking a little bit longer, but the process is almost finished. They have been doing palm rolls for the maintenance. My hair is actually pretty healthy. And I put jojoba, tea tree oil, and rosemary oil on my scalp in between appointments. You said that we need to undo the harm they did, but I'm not sure what type of harm you're talking about.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

do not palm roll what else have they done

how often are you washing

\what have they done besides palm roll?

you realize palm rolling does nothing good only harm and your paying thenm to do that?

all you should do is wash 2-3 times a week

and seperate as needed

are they twistimg? pulling the dread through the roots/ using any tools like hooks

had they used wax

all thiese thihbfs are harmful

theres never any reason to ever go to a salon

your dreads will dread themselves for free if u do nothing at all to them

--
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

you don't have to pay to have your locks maintained. all you need to do is wash & separate.

palm rolling is temporary at best (& best when done with products which most are very bad for dreads) & can be damaging/harmful. check out Babas video as to why you shouldn't palm roll, he shows you the damage doing it for just a couple weeks did. You don't see the damage right away, the hair has to grow out before it becomes evident.

just let them go & they will do what they need to do all on their own!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

estimate how much money you wasted at a salon and the time as well

500 1000 dollars? 4 thousand?

more?

we saw 1 guy waste 15,000

he never once washed his own hair he paid the salon to wash and "maintain"

1/2 his dreads fell off

he was going bald from everythung the salin did wrong

another girk joined here a month or so ago

she wasted 4000 dolars at a salkon..no 2 salons

thery coated her in wax

crocheted interlocked cut off the looips then added fake hair to reinforce the dreads they made so weak

2 years and 4000 dolars and they never dreaded but were heavy in wax

she also had 6000 dollars in medical bills multiple surgeries multiple courses of antibiotics to trwte infecred zits caused by all the wax

10 thousand dollars dowbn the drain for nearlty ruined dreads

the ay she joined we eremoved the wax

her skin cleared up instantly and she cancled her next already scheduled surgery

her dreads begaan to dread the day she stopped going to salons and letr them dread on their own

now these are my dreads..i never spent aq cent

i never did a thing

no palm roling..no noyhiing..at all

just wash and seperate

and left them alone

thats just how easy it is

you don need to do a thing

or spend a cent

or waste all that effirt and money

your being ripped off

you say your going till you leaen to care for them

well the salons got u convinced its hard to do..its nopt!

they make you afraid to even wash your own bair withpit an ap;ointment

they make you think that you need them or your dreads wull be ruined

but they are the ones ruining your dfeads

stop going

wash yor haor

seperate when needed

that is all

donate 1% of what u saved by not going to the site (if u want)

if i had 1 penny for every thousand dollars i saved the members here by not buying into harmful kits and salons id be able to buy every 1 of them a tam (and pay my rent too)

--

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Welcome. But once they have fully locked, with the maintenance that salons do, you may not have mush hair left to take care of. If they used any products, it'll a years before they lock up. If they do at all. Wax prevents locking. It gives the impression that they are mature by being hard. But they aren't.

I didn't see anyone say they used wax. But if they did. That will damage your hair. The wax needs to come out to have actually healthy locks. Wax is the main cause of mold and mildew growing in your locks.

If all they do is palm roll, you're wasting your money. First, that can be done for free at home. Second, it should NEVER be done. It only does 1 of 2 things. Either it does nothing, and it has to be done over and over every day. Or it does create knots which means you are irrevocably destroying your roots. It's a damage that doesn't show up right away. it shows up later as you your hair grows out.

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/video/why-not-to-palm-roll

And if they are palm rolling your hair, I'm sure they put products in it. The only reason to palm roll, and see it stay flat for a while, is if there is wax in there.

What other methods did they use? It'll be hard to help you fix anything without knowing what was done over the year

Alicia S
@alicia-s
12 years ago
32 posts
Hi Lola! Welcome to the site!
Lola Deveraux
@lola-deveraux
12 years ago
4 posts

This is getting too complicated. I'm going to comb out my locs and go back to my fro next week. Everything you've all been saying freaked me out. I inspected my hair and thought it looked like it was thinning. After further inspection I realized it was just the way the original stylist parted it. But I'm also not a fan of looking like I'm balding. I'm not upset, I'm happy. My hair falls over my hairline, so I wouldn't have really paid attention before. So I'm going to comb them out. I'll probably try to restart them in the future and see if they can get parted differently. But for now...this is just too much. I'm in a phd program and I'm nearing the finish. I'm super stressed and super busy. All this information is too much to try to sort through right now. Thanks for all the input and advice. You've all given me a lot to think about. I just can't think too deeply about it now. If I decide to do locs again in the future, I will definitely hit up this website.

Peace

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Sorry to hear about that. You've got to do what you've got to do . But in the future, if you grow them again, remember on thing: Locks are the only hairstyle that you don't have to think about at all. Just wash and separate. No thought involved.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form