Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

scalp gunk, really annoying, tried everything

Harriet
@harriet
12 years ago
57 posts

basically yeah :( had my dreads for a month and a bit now and i do nothing with them at all apart from wash twice a week with BS and ACV and all the time i itch my scalp I'm left with a white gunk under my nails. It started of only a little but its been building up over the past month.

I've had problems before (because of my water type) with the BS just not dissolving and I've heated the water, tried distilled water, I've used more BS, I've used less, I've rinsed them and sat with a towel on my head for 10 mins and its just not going away or making the slightest bit of difference. i have a power shower so i litterly blast my scalp with water every time and nothing its still there.

I didnt mind at the beginning but now its making my roots feel disgusting and dirty and I'm just sick of it now and just dont know what to do :(

updated by @harriet: 02/14/15 09:53:11AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

switch to www.dreadlockshampoo.com soaps or get a filter for yoir showerhead like heather got

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Harriet
@harriet
12 years ago
57 posts

I have looked into buying these products and would really love to they sound so amazing and have such good feedback but I'm allergic to one of their ingredients so there a no go its so unfair :(!!!!!!! i might look into getting a filter actually, would this solve my BS problem to about it not dissolving or anything no matter what i do

soaring eagle said:

switch to www.dreadlockshampoo.com soaps or get a filter for yoir showerhead like heather got

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yep t should ..which ingredient are u alergic to?

she might make a version without it for ya

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Harriet
@harriet
12 years ago
57 posts

i might look into seeing if i can get one for my shower :) and the coconut oil :( I'm really severely allergic to nuts and my scalp would just die haha!! i live in britian so I've been looking into maybe buying a shampoo bar from lush but I've heard something about SLS in them so I'm not 100% sure on that. I've also heard people recommending theAnti-Residue neutrogenaShampoo , its just so confusing

soaring eagle said:

yep t should ..which ingredient are u alergic to?

she might make a version without it for ya

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Since you are allergic to the dreadlock shampoo you can always try Bronners. There are a lot of people who have stopped using Bronners on this site and gone either to the dreadlock shampoo or the bs wash. Maybe you can work out a swap to keep the cost of experimenting down?

I was alternating between Bronners and the bs but I did start to noticed that, in spite of the bs being what seemed to be totally disolved in the mixture I was making, I was getting a white residue from it so I ust stopped. No problem with Bronners on my end and when I am done with my bottle I will probably try the dreadlock shampoo for a spell and see which I like better. :)

James Turk
@james-turk
12 years ago
107 posts

I alternate between BS and Dr. bronners. It seems to work well. I only do the BS once a week anymore than that I have the same white gunk issue, so the rest of the time I use dr. bronners.

Jenna Blair
@jenna-blair
12 years ago
8 posts

Is your scalp gunk oily or chalky? If its chalky then yes I would suspect it is the baking soda. But if its oily, it could be due to your scalp adjusting to washing less often. When youwash oftenand do it everyday or every other day for years your scalp will start to overproduce oil. Once you stop, it will still over produce causing oil buildup.This happened to me during the first month and every time i scratched my head I had gross gunk under my nails. But it has subsided since my scalp has adjusted. If this sounds like your problem, just wait it out.. our bodies have ways of correcting itself!

Stephani
@stephani
12 years ago
70 posts

I would say it sounds like the bs is building up. Since you allergic to the dreadlock shampoo I would say you could try the dr. bronners, but be sure to dilute it. If you continue to use the bs wash, try to focus it on your dreads and not your scalp.

To remove the build up you can get vitamin c tablets and crush them up to a powder, mix it with warm water until it's about a jelly-ish consistency. Put it on your scalp and let it sit for about 30-45 minutes. Heat will help it so if you can sit in the sun or under a hood dryer that would be better. The heat is not completely necessary though. That should remove most of the buildup for you.

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Actually, I was just looking at the ingredients for the Bronners and they ALL have coconut oil in them. Oi!

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form